Pets

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
So, 11 days later and she is starting to get adventurous. Any pro tips on how to teach her early not to bite everything in sight?

You bought the wrong damn breed of cat bro. Enjoy everything in sight being bitten for the next 12-15 years.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
You bought the wrong damn breed of cat bro. Enjoy everything in sight being bitten for the next 12-15 years.

Your optimism is contagious. Or rabies.

Am going to try what the interwebz have to say about giving her some outlets for all that energy and stuff. She's also still a baby, so I'm sure it's correctable. But I have put everything away aside from my computer room, which she won't have access to unless I'm home. Too many electrical wires and stuff.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Only lost one wire to my first cat thankfully. My first priority was to try and get wires and stuff as out of sight as possible. Extra loose wires I’d sort of hide in my bedside table drawer for my phone chargers, etc. Anything I couldn’t hide, I pretty much just had to be vigilant with the spray bottle and would spritz her in the butt when when went near anything she shouldn’t be. The difficult part is trying not to obviously be the source of the water they’re being spritzed with.

Also try to keep as much fun stuff out in the open in obvious places to try and divert her attention. Basically give her stuff more fun than wires.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Your optimism is contagious. Or rabies.

Am going to try what the interwebz have to say about giving her some outlets for all that energy and stuff. She's also still a baby, so I'm sure it's correctable. But I have put everything away aside from my computer room, which she won't have access to unless I'm home. Too many electrical wires and stuff.

Siamese are very social and typically very energetic and playful, if she's awake she'll be all up in your grill and demanding attention. If you play with her with toys what not she'll definitely develop a preference for those over boring old computer wires though.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Only lost one wire to my first cat thankfully. My first priority was to try and get wires and stuff as out if sight as possible. Extra loose wires I’d sort of hide in my bedside table drawer for my phone chargers, etc. Anything I couldn’t hide, I pretty much just had to be vigilant with the spray bottle and would spritz her in the butt when when went near anything she shouldn’t be. The difficult part is trying not to obviously be the source of the water they’re being spritzed with.

Also try to keep as much fun stuff out in the open in obvious places to try and divert her attention. Basically give her stuff more fun than wires.

Spray bottle is surprisingly effective for negating all kinds of bad habits. I didn't believe it when I first heard about it, thought it would be a mediocre solution at best. But having tried it on a few cats now -- shit really works.

Tilluin

Molten Core Raider
We actually put Baku down. They have these vets that will actually come to your house and do the euthanasia procedure where you and the pet are most comfortable. My wife decided that she would like the ashes back, just because she could sprinkle some of them in our yard, then take the rest to Hawaii when we move. At least he kind of made the trip. The at home vet made this little foot print thing that's in a plastic case. My daughter loves it and carries it all over the place. That surprised me because she's never been very affectionate with Baku. In fact, the only time she ever hugged him was when we asked her to. Then a really touching moment was after the vet gave him his first heavy sedative, that knocks him out, she went over and kissed his forehead. Oh man did the tears pour out watching that. It was very sweet, and I was happy she did that (on her own, no coaxing from us). Then when they gave him the final injection that actually ended his life, she walked over and handed him a rawhide chew thing so he could take it with him. We explained earlier in the day that he would be dead and his body was going away, but she thought he would want a gift anyway.

Ok, now I'm tearing up again after typing that.

Man that's a touching but rough story. Really feel for you, hope the next few days aren't too rough. He was a lucky dog and you guys were lucky owners.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Water bottle method definitely works.

I always thought Siamese were the independent assholes of the cat world though.

It's a common misconception. They're like any other breed, though. Some are assholes. Some are not. When I was in high school my best friend had 4. Two were assholes, but did warm up to me eventually, and the other two were just friendly as could be.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
We actually put Baku down. They have these vets that will actually come to your house and do the euthanasia procedure where you and the pet are most comfortable. My wife decided that she would like the ashes back, just because she could sprinkle some of them in our yard, then take the rest to Hawaii when we move. At least he kind of made the trip. The at home vet made this little foot print thing that's in a plastic case. My daughter loves it and carries it all over the place. That surprised me because she's never been very affectionate with Baku. In fact, the only time she ever hugged him was when we asked her to. Then a really touching moment was after the vet gave him his first heavy sedative, that knocks him out, she went over and kissed his forehead. Oh man did the tears pour out watching that. It was very sweet, and I was happy she did that (on her own, no coaxing from us). Then when they gave him the final injection that actually ended his life, she walked over and handed him a rawhide chew thing so he could take it with him. We explained earlier in the day that he would be dead and his body was going away, but she thought he would want a gift anyway.

Ok, now I'm tearing up again after typing that.
My dad just had this...uh....done(?) 4 days ago with his poor old chocolate lab. She's all he had left in the house after my little sister moved last year, and he's really bummed out. He went home every day at lunch (~35mins round trip) for years to play with her, and long walks every night. First time I've heard him cry in ~20 years. Last time was when his best friend's teenage daughter died in a car crash. Feelsbadman.

He's known this was coming for the last month and a half and dreading it. I was really surprised to hear him say it went as well as it could have, and the vet and assistant that came to his house started crying, too. I'm guessing they don't see grizzled old men crying often there.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
That Xarpolis post was from two years ago? I mean, I do feel for the guy, I'm sure he's still upset, but you guys realize, right?

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Haha, I just checked my notifications. I forgot writing that exact post, so I re-read it and started to tear up again.
So yeah, feels man. Feels. Kids are awesome, though.

• 1Solidarity

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Well, my mom said she would visit less if I keep the cat. Shitty, but bye bye kitty. I'm old, and they're old, and I want to spend every minute I can with mom and dad while we're all still alive.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Just as an update. We didn't fuck up. Dog just finished his fourth out of six rounds of chemo. He's recovered spectacular and has taken to three legs just fine. We've been able to off leash him in the neighborhood with the three legs.... at least until a few weeks ago when I realized he could still haul fucking ass and damn near outrun me still. Take him out into the fields and he still goes apeshit and runs around almost as much as with 4 legs.

He was in so much pain for about 6 months pre surgery that it's like he's a whole new dog now. Zero regrets.

Another update, chemo didn't work and the cancer spread to his lungs and spine, making his back legs and bladder not work... He was 100% his old self for 6 months after his surgery and had a clear xray 3 months ago so we thought he was in the clear but he went downhill so fast we had to put him down. Had a vet come to the home and we did it on the hill he liked to sit on looking out over the valley, really rough and my first couple of cries (over the couple days leading up to putting him down and during the process) since I was a kid. Fed him a $20 dollar filet mignon and a shitton of his favorite treats about 15 minutes before it happened, so he went out happy.

Would I fight cancer like I did with this dog again? I don't know after what happened. I can say that we did get over it fairly quick. We got shitfaced the evening of the day it happened, and had a pretty depressed day the next day, but after that the feelz faded and we're good to go. If anything our other dog is the most sad at this point, trying to figure out where her buddy is. We've been keeping her busy and tired with lots of adventures though.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Sorry Kiroy, I know that pain all to well.

I've been avoiding this thread for awhile now. Buddy and Luna passed a couple months ago, decided I could finally post about it. I had to leave them when I moved to Colorado and wasn't going to be able to bring them with me. I left them with a close friend who I knew would take great care of them. About a month after I got here, I called to see how they were doing to get the news that my friends house had burned down in the night and neither of them made it out. :(

• 5Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Sorry Kiroy, I know that pain all to well.

I've been avoiding this thread for awhile now. Buddy and Luna passed a couple months ago, decided I could finally post about it. I had to leave them when I moved to Colorado and wasn't going to be able to bring them with me. I left them with a close friend who I knew would take great care of them. About a month after I got here, I called to see how they were doing to get the news that my friends house had burned down in the night and neither of them made it out. :(

jfc sorry dude that's like worst nightmare scenario (as far as pets go)

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Ya, took me a few weeks to stop visualizing what that experience would be like. Just a shitty way to go.

• 1Solidarity