Pets

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
And I'd NEVER trust it. I don't have a issue with people keeping wild animals (I have some myself), but people who make pets out of them are fools.
A 100,000 years of instincts dont disappear just because you give him a squeaky chew toy.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I'm not afraid of many dogs but a timberwolf a guy I kinda knew had scared the shit out of me. That thing was not stable. She was the alpha in that house and he knew it. Only met it once and that was enough

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Putting food out for the biblical plague of outdoor/feral cats in my town is the closest I'll ever come to keeping a wild animal as a pet. Some people are retarded and/or have a death wish.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
And I'd NEVER trust it. I don't have a issue with people keeping wild animals (I have some myself), but people who make pets out of them are fools.

I can't imagine owning a wild animal. My sister and brother in law are currently dealing with getting rid of one of their dogs. Last week their 3 year old startled it and the dog bit him in the face, needed stitches, barely missed his eye. Bye bye doggo. He was a nice enough dog, but he definitely had an aggresion streak hidden in there, now that they have kids he's a liability.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Why do you do this?

Well originally it was because we had a couple cute little kittens out in the shed, now it's mostly habit. Also there's an orange tabby that looks a lot like one of our house cats that recently died. It's not like I'm putting that much food out there anyway.

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
original.jpg

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

fris

Vyemm Raider
Im sure some of y'all have experience with alpha dogs or pits.

He's a rescue, got him when he was about 7 months old, was returned to the humane society 3 times prior. I volunteer there as a cat socialize, ever since my oldest son became allergic to cats. I've had the dog about 6 years now. He's super loving and will sit in your lap despite being over 80 pounds.

Aside from a little growling as a pup over my boys trying to take a raw hide away, he's never shown aggression vs another human. I call him a silver lab, but there's deffinatly some pit in there. He truly hates rabbits and squirrels, growls away them through the window, has 3 confirmed kills on filled mice and a baby rabbit.

I never let him off leash at parks, while walking he wants to size up any big dog we're come across. Little dogs he ignores mostly. If another dog on leash looks aggressive, he wants to go at that dog. Ig another dog ignores him, he ignores back. When I go out of town, ge stays at a kennel and plays with dogs his size fine, but I'm sure they don't let in anything more aggressive than him.

He's never been in a fight, but im sure if her or the other dog got loose on the occasions, ur would have been bad.

My new girl friend has a smaller black lab mix that mostly ignores my dog, so they get along great on walks. Once we had them over at my house together after a walk and my dog started showing some signs of aggression or dominance or playing, not sure. Ge walk walk over to her dog and kid of step on her, almost mounts but not sure. The other dog snapped at my dog and we quickly separated. About 10 minutes later, he tried again.

I don't know what would happen if left unchecked. Since we each have dogs, it's in my best interest that they get along for sleep overs. Yes, selfish motivation.

Any ideas on my dogs actions and ways to help them get along?

20191201_122652.jpg

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I would say that is more pit than lab in there just from the photo. This link is a good way to go about it. Similar to what you've done so far but a couple added steps to try.

Kiki

Log Wizard
It sounds like your dog is displaying dominance in his home space, that is also what the jumping/humping is. Neutral ground helps here, but eventually one of them will probably need to come out on top (I subscribe to dominance theory). I recommend you choose which one, because leaving them to work it out themselves can go bad as they fight up the ranks for it. Also, you should clearly establish yourself as the Alpha, not them, and let them know you don't tolerate that shit. You are the pack leader, you tell them what to do, and you didn't tell them to fight.

Also, dogs will be protective of their owners, so when he sees a bigger dog, it's possible he is sizing the other dog up to see if you are safe around them. It's often alot easier when the owners aren't present, then there is nothing to be protective over.

I did the a method I saw cesar milan use to bring my 5th dog in. As much as people shit on him it worked very well. Some people don't believe in dominance at all, I have no problem with that, but it works and explains behavior pretty well in experience.

I took the new dog into the yard, and let the dogs come out (in order of dominance) one by one to meet him. Also, you position the new one to be 'exposed' and on a leash so the pre-existing dominant territory dogs get to sniff him all over, thus keeping the dominant hierarchy the same and letting the new dog know his place in this pack, he starts at the bottom. The new dog doesn't get to move until they are all satisfied. In about 5 minutes all 5 were racing each other and then we were in the house. I have a doberman, golden retriever, etc, but my smaller dog is actually the leader of the pack (under me) as weird as it is.

fris

Vyemm Raider
Is he neutered?
yes

It sounds like your dog is displaying dominance in his home space, that is also what the jumping/humping is. Neutral ground helps here, but eventually one of them will probably need to come out on top (I subscribe to dominance theory). I recommend you choose which one, because leaving them to work it out themselves can go bad as they fight up the ranks for it. Also, you should clearly establish yourself as the Alpha, not them, and let them know you don't tolerate that shit. You are the pack leader, you tell them what to do, and you didn't tell them to fight.

Also, dogs will be protective of their owners, so when he sees a bigger dog, it's possible he is sizing the other dog up to see if you are safe around them. It's often alot easier when the owners aren't present, then there is nothing to be protective over.

I did the a method I saw cesar milan use to bring my 5th dog in. As much as people shit on him it worked very well. Some people don't believe in dominance at all, I have no problem with that, but it works and explains behavior pretty well in experience.

I took the new dog into the yard, and let the dogs come out (in order of dominance) one by one to meet him. Also, you position the new one to be 'exposed' and on a leash so the pre-existing dominant territory dogs get to sniff him all over, thus keeping the dominant hierarchy the same and letting the new dog know his place in this pack, he starts at the bottom. The new dog doesn't get to move until they are all satisfied. In about 5 minutes all 5 were racing each other and then we were in the house. I have a doberman, golden retriever, etc, but my smaller dog is actually the leader of the pack (under me) as weird as it is.

i agree with this, i think most of what Cesar says is accurate. I had a friend in vet school who studied all sorts of breeds of dogs in a pack environment. she said every one would act like a wolf pack, leader, fight for dominance, etc. even a bunch of cute pomeranians.

I didn't consider how he acts when i'm not there. even w/ my kids, if they walk over to me, he has to run up to my chain and try to get between us. he's playful but you can tell he rather be in my lap than either of my sons. very jealous. As much as I try to act as the alpha, he's always testing me. and sees himself as above both my sons. he'll do tricks for a treat, but won't go inside or outside unless he wants to when they tell him.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
he's playful but you can tell he rather be in my lap than either of my sons. very jealous. As much as I try to act as the alpha, he's always testing me. and sees himself as above both my sons. he'll do tricks for a treat, but won't go inside or outside unless he wants to when they tell him.

I hope your sons are older

fris

Vyemm Raider
they're 7 & 10, both weigh less than my dog. again, he's very friendly. they can walk up to him and hug all over him, they'll be on each other on the couch, etc. they can play w/ his food while he eats, no aggression. but if it's dinner time and they tell him to go outside w/o me in teh room, he'll just sit and stare at the open door.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I really want an English Bulldog. My want made worse by new neighbors parents coming into town around Christmas with a new Bulldog puppy.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user