Pets

Rime

<Donor>
I had a beagle that was a rescue, had epilepsy, usually triggered by food (If he was not fed on a regular schedule or if he ate too much) and/or fear (primarily of heavy machinery - dump trucks and a tow truck set it off of all things).

All you can do, at the end of the day, is try to manage it. He was significantly smaller than the St. Bernard you are describing, so anything I dealt with would be ramped up heavily in your case. If the medicine can help it, even if it shortens the dog's natural life span, it will help increase their quality of life, hopefully. It has been years, but we tried a few drugs before something 'worked' with Boo. He would still have episodes, but not as bad as he did before we found a good veterinarian.

As Dandain says... if it gets to be too much, sometimes you have to let it go. If it cannot be reliably lived with due to it's episodes, then you have to be responsible enough to try and find a family/person who can devote the time to it. If the animal is suffering/it's quality of life is poor, then you have to make the hard choice and end it.

Do not let the dog make you bitter, if it is going to, then it (and you) deserve better.

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you do that, have enough filter going, and don't overfeed them, that's all it really takes to keep a healthy tank.

We've had a couple of 10 gallon tanks for a few months (got too many fish for the first tank of course). It's gone pretty well (after the first couple of weeks at least), but we don't really know what we're doing yet though. We've had a couple of filters die though and one of the current ones looks like it's having issues. Do you have any filter/equipment recommendations? I'd like happy fish with as little maintenance as possible hehe.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I'm using a Penguin filter but I've had Whisper ones as well. Seems like those are the two big brands. I haven't noticed much difference quality wise. I don't know if it's the case with yours but what always takes them out for me is letting the water level get too low so you can hear the pump struggling to pull water into it. Even running like that for a few hours can kill the filter. If I hear mine making noise I unplug it immediately. You have to then do a water change or at least top off the tank pretty quickly though and get it turned back on or the fish will run out of oxygen. My 45 gallon tank can go 2-3 days with the filter off before the fish start to visibly suffer from lack of oxygen (they'll be up at the top of the tank trying to get air) but in a 10 gallon tank it's probably going to happen more quickly. People think small tanks are good for beginners, but actually the smaller the tank is the more volatile it is and the faster things go to shit on you. Bigger tanks are much more stable.

What kind of fish do you have?

Last edited:

Rime

<Donor>
Relatively certain my oldest GSD's tumor has become malignant. It has grown larger, the vet wants me to bring her in for more tests. She is losing weight, not keeping food down, so on.

Part of me wants to make her fight, chemo, surgery, depends on the vet's prognosis, I guess, but I will not let her suffer.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 3 users

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm using a Penguin filter but I've had Whisper ones as well. Seems like those are the two big brands. I haven't noticed much difference quality wise. I don't know if it's the case with yours but what always takes them out for me is letting the water level get too low so you can hear the pump struggling to pull water into it. Even running like that for a few hours can kill the filter. If I hear mine making noise I unplug it immediately. You have to then do a water change or at least top off the tank pretty quickly though and get it turned back on or the fish will run out of oxygen. My 45 gallon tank can go 2-3 days with the filter off before the fish start to visibly suffer from lack of oxygen (they'll be up at the top of the tank trying to get air) but in a 10 gallon tank it's probably going to happen more quickly. People think small tanks are good for beginners, but actually the smaller the tank is the more volatile it is and the faster things go to shit on you. Bigger tanks are much more stable.

Thanks, just ordered a Penguin. Ya, it feels like the tiny tanks are just a big scam by the petshop industry heh. We impulse bought a small betta tank first, but then you fall down the rabbithole. After dealing with the first 10gal for a couple of weeks, I was like fuck, a puppy would have been less work. RIght now, we have a couple of goldfish in one tank, and a few molly/cory plus a pleco in the other. The goldfish and the pleco need an upgrade, but I think the molly/cory are ok in the 10.

Serious rabbithole of a hobby though. If anyone ever reads this who's thinking about getting a fish. Do something else instead lol. After spending a weekend reading about filters, tank sizes, sumps, etc. I think we're going to move the goldfish/pleco to a 55, though they may outgrow that eventually too. (Fucking pet stores selling people tiny tanks and fish that can get bigger than small dogs... I mean, my fault for not doing research of course, but the average rando isn't going to up on his fish even after buying them. The ratio of these that end up flushed has to be pretty grim.) I think I may have accidentally convinced the wife that we need a 2nd 55 with longear sunfish too. Definitely should have gotten a puppy. :)

iannis

Musty Nester
As awful as it is, I'd put her down.

Once it goes metastatic...

It's less awful than watching that progress.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
do not watch if heart is weak

dcc3d2da7aa6167e9f7af62bba1c4d36.png

• 2RAGE
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Don't click that spoiler unless you want to hate humanity for at least a week. (it's not violent or anything)

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well the ending of this seems apt after the last couple posts...

• 1Worf

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

he's not fish-centric, but man, Foo the Flowerhorn on youtube does some fine stuff.

• 1Like
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Has anyone ever owned an ocelot or smaller wild cat?

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Friend of mine in high school parents got them a liger. Didn't last 6 months before they couldn't deal with it anymore.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I knew a guy that had a wolf. It eventually turned into an ok pet but it was like 6 years of hell getting it there. They had to get it babysitters because it would destroy his house every time they left.

Wild animals in general just don't make good pets.

• 1Solidarity