Phobia of flying...what to take?

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Fear of something is usually worse than the thing itself, at least for normal things people do. Glad to see you got over it, Brahma.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
I just got back from a trip to Japan.

Flew into Kansai Airport, this one:

img_top.jpg

So the landing there happened at night, and as you're flying in with it being night, you've got no good visual on the water, all I had to judge was the lights of the coastline, which all flattened out and was level with my eyeline.. How low are we?? How low are we?? then finally the solid black shape of the 'island' passed under us and a few seconds, a good landing. I knew it was all under control and was a ILS approach, it just felt un-nerving at the time.

Return trip, had some diarrhea. it was controllable, but still fucken not what you need.

• 1Like
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 1 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I just got back from a trip to Japan.

Flew into Kansai Airport, this one:

View attachment 155205

So the landing there happened at night, and as you're flying in with it being night, you've got no good visual on the water, all I had to judge was the lights of the coastline, which all flattened out and was level with my eyeline.. How low are we?? How low are we?? then finally the solid black shape of the 'island' passed under us and a few seconds, a good landing. I knew it was all under control and was a ILS approach, it just felt un-nerving at the time.

Return trip, had some diarrhea. it was controllable, but still fucken not what you need.

Hmmmm have you heard of this place called Madeira? There is a separate "pilot's license" just for the airports there.

Conquer your fear, vacation in Madeira. The #1 most dangerous commercial location to land in the free world.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
I know your pain Brahma. I get panicked in tall buildings, on large bridges, and on planes. I choke it down and get on with my life when I have to cross a bridge or fly, but it still freaks me out a bit. My dad and step-mom are engineers for a jet engine manufacturer (P&W) so I'm very aware of the back-end thoroughness in the aeronautics industry and how much emphasis is put on margin of safety. I know the odds of something going wrong are very low, but IF something does go wrong the odds of a deadly problem are higher then ground transport. I just struggle to put my faith 100% in other people doing their jobs right. I know we take the same risk driving, but subconsciously I feel I can impact the danger with my own driving, and "undo" other peoples fuck ups that would otherwise impact myself. Up in a plane, a building, a bridge I'm 100% helpless to the decisions of pilots/designers/builders who hopefully didn't have a shitty day.

• 2Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I like flying because you can sleep while you travel. I fly so much that I can't help myself anymore. I seriously fall asleep flying to LA. That's a 45 min flight.

• 2Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I like flying because you can sleep while you travel. I fly so much that I can't help myself anymore. I seriously fall asleep flying to LA. That's a 45 min flight.

Yea I just immediately go under. Nothing irritates me more than Murphy's Glare, that faggot who HAS TO keep his window shade up for no reason or the old lady who NEEDS her light on to sudoku exactly in the seat in front of you where the little beam of light is exactly right where your comfortable headrest is.

• 2Solidarity

Palum

what Suineg set it to
First revenue flight of brand new 737 800

Niiiiiceeee

Nothing like that new plane smell

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I've got something like 2000 hours flying in my life, something like half of that burning cirlces in the sky over Iraq. I can tell you this, there is always something wrong with every plane you get on. Planes are also pretty fucking amazing pieces of technology and you can land that bitch with an immense amount of shit going wrong. We had 2/4 engines go out one flight (fucking birds), and tbh if you didn't know they were out you probably wouldn't have ever noticed the difference, although pyscologically that shits pretty scary.

There are something like 40 million flights a year, and less than 100 incidents a year, with something like 20 of those having fatalities. I'm also pretty sure those numbers include shit like Cessna's where it's an owner/operator fault because idiot.