Phobia of flying...what to take?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
My flight was cancelled. This is a sign! Like some Final Destination shit right here!

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

I never did update this. I swear to you I felt like an absolute IDIOT once that flight was over. I think back on all the shit I have missed out on the last 3 decades because I just avoided flying.

I threw up in the bathroom prior to my flight, but once I did that everything settled like I was going for a bus ride. Hell on my way back I'm all in the window seat, talking shit to everyone like I had flown a million times. "Oh this is a quick one hour flight. Don't take the soda unless you plan on finishing. These trays? Ya they fold down for your laptop. See that? Ya that's the Washington Monument. Tallest building in DC."

I plan to fly to Brazil next year. My buds do it every other year, and I always decline.

• 7Like
  • 3Worf
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 12 users

iannis

Musty Nester
First time is weird. But it really is not much different than riding a bus.

The scary ones are the little four seaters. Those are the ones that make craters in the cowfields.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

iannis

Musty Nester
First time is weird. But it really is not much different than riding a bus.

The scary ones are the little four seaters. Those are the ones that make craters in the cowfields.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I also have a fear of flying. I have a friend that puts mine to shame though. She would like write goodbye letters to her family before getting on a plane. Then she started taking Ativan and now loves flying so who knows. I've never taken meds. Just suck it up when I have to. Take a train or drive when it's feasible. I understand that statistically I'm safer on a domestic airplane than I am in my house, but it's an irrational fear for a reason.

I was 8 or 9 and woke up on a US flight with the cabin full of smoke. My parents were hoping I would just sleep through it. I guess an air conditioning unit caught on fire and the crew took care of it pretty quickly with no harm done, but it was still fucking terrifying. I haven't ever really recovered from that.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I was terrified as well the first time, the worst part is the landing to me, especially in Vegas. The runways is on the other side of some mountains and the runways are short as shit, so it feels like it slams down and then super hard on the brakes.

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
SFO is fun because it looks like you're about to go into the water and then you see runway at the last minute. And Cusco in Peru. The city is damn near 12k feet elevation so you're already close to the ground when it's time to approach.

• 1Like

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I've flown a shit ton (domestic and international) this year so anymore I pretty much immediately fall asleep and while it's not awesome sleep, I do doze most of the flight making it feel a lot quicker. The worst part for me is my ass hurting from being in a seat for so long. I do have to make sure I get a window seat though cause I have to lean against the side for maximum comfort.

Vegas and Chicago I think are the two roughest places for take offs and landings. Always windy as fuck and a rough climb or descent. The last time I went to Vegas they missed the first landing and you could feel them over correct the crab land the second time. I thought for sure we were going right into the ditch. Probably the scariest landing I've had to date.

• 1Like

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've worked in the aviation industry for the past 20 years as a pilot and air traffic controller. If anyone has any questions that would help lay their fears to rest feel free to throw them at me.

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
For 30 years I have avoided flying because of work. For college I drove/trains depending on the where we were playing games. Looks like I can't avoid this any longer, and need a solution to relax me, and still be functional. Also, something that they will allow me on the plane I guess if I "look" intoxicated. Xanax I am told might not be an option for some reason, I forget why.

I have tried 20 years ago or so to fly. Passed out the 1st time. Freaked out the second. I'm fairly large (310 pounds)...so I'm also worried about any disturbance I MIGHT make with all the rules I am reading about.

I am not scared of flying per say...I am scared of putting my life in someone else's hand 100%. (I have seen the shrink over this BS, and that is what he came up with).

Weed brownies? I never smoked weed...Can you get shit faced and on a plane? Any suggestions?

A train.

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Trains in America are way slower than driving. The train from Oakland to LA takes 11 hours. Fuck that. Comfort isn't worth that much time.

• 1Like

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Train travel is usually expensive as fuck now for some reason too. It used to be dirt cheap - at least I assume it was since my parents were broke and we rode the train once or twice a year.

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
That too. Renting a car for 3-4 days is maybe $50 more (including gas) than a train ticket.

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Trains are definitely slow compared to flying and not really any cheaper. Its an alternative if you are terrified of flying though.

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Take a greyhound bus. Cure you of ever wanting to take the bus and you'll likely get over your fear of flying pretty quick.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I never did update this. I swear to you I felt like an absolute IDIOT once that flight was over. I think back on all the shit I have missed out on the last 3 decades because I just avoided flying.

I threw up in the bathroom prior to my flight, but once I did that everything settled like I was going for a bus ride. Hell on my way back I'm all in the window seat, talking shit to everyone like I had flown a million times. "Oh this is a quick one hour flight. Don't take the soda unless you plan on finishing. These trays? Ya they fold down for your laptop. See that? Ya that's the Washington Monument. Tallest building in DC."

I plan to fly to Brazil next year. My buds do it every other year, and I always decline.
Glad it worked out!

• 1Like

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Flying in helicopters out to oil platforms on stormy days will also cure your fear of flying. In planes anyway.

• 1Like