Phobia of flying...what to take?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Don't forget Brahma is probably flying out of Logan, possibly the worst airport ever

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
I would probably try Xanax first before you ask for Ativan. Also, it sounds like you are scared of flying rather than putting your life in others' hands (nice try, though).

As Vinen mentioned, request for premium economy seating for the large seats (if you can't afford first). Try and sit in the aisle because of...well. Fat.

If you have a virtual reality game or play video games, try and play games that are first person perspective while going into airplanes. Desensitization should hopefully fix it.

I'm fat. Brahma is dense. Have you seen the pictures of that guy?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Brahman is a lot of muscle. Not sure how much his Ronnie McDonald shoes weigh

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Nothing. Not a god damn thing will fucking make you get over that shit. It's in your head and you just have to suck it up. Just make sure you have something to listen to or watch during the flight. Something you are really looking forward to watching or listen to would be best.

You have bright ass shoes and drive a orange sports car while being 300lb and black. You survived that , flying aint shit.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Like others have said, I don't think there's really anything you can take that will help a lot that won't knock you the fuck out.

Just go do it. Sit in your chair and wait. Flights are really boring. When you get off, you'll be like, what was the big deal. Just do it.

• 1Like

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Already mentioned what he can do. Desensitization. Or medication.

You could try CBD oil -- acts as an anxiolytic. Will calm you down. Just recommend you try the stuff a few days before you actually fly. =p

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
How long is the flight?
from where to where?
which airline?
checked bag or no?
carry on?
personal item?
dressing like a slob or business suit?

You have to plan your shit dude, do you even know how to fly??? I'm being totally serious here, cuz flying involves coordination, and if you plan on being a big vegetable during the flight, you have to plan ahead.

if you're gonna take medication that affects you, take it a few days before to see the time frame and how deeply it affects you.

For instance i know my wife will need 2hours if she takes two diphenhydramine (basically benedryl), before she gets knocked out. It'll take 6hours (min) of undisturbed sleep for her to function like a human, she can be woken by ppl or a phone call, but she'll be really bitchy.

Do you have luggage? do you know the max weight of checked? luggage? (50lbs), the stupid TSA liquid rules (1quart bag of 3.4oz containers) for carry ons, do you walk around w/ a multitool?

I've travelled w/ ppl like "YOU", yea, big guys... know what big guys always have? more luggage than woman cuz big guys wear big clothes that take up a lot of luggage space.

at least get some of these items
Digital Hanging Luggage Scale the weight limit is 50lbs for checked luggage (or of course pay more by going over), BRING IT WITH YOU, b/c you'll also need to weigh when you go back.
try a luggage strap it won't really help "keep your things in" but it'll be useful to quickly identify your bag on the carousel

if you really want to get a lock for your luggage (you can just bypass the lock and pocking a pen through the zipper) get a tsa approved lock, all it really is, is that it has the TSA symbol and a masterlock bypass to open your back and do extra checks. these types of locks will tell you if your lock has been opened, and they have to relock your luggage b/4 they can get their key back. I've had 2 lost locks, cuz TSA checked luggage. (they will put a piece of paper saying they did)

if you're unsure about needing extra luggage on the return back(free swag,goodies), bring a foldable duffle bag with you, it weighs 2lbs so provision for loss of weight, but it's durable enough to be used as checked luggage. (don't get the light ones where they're so light they rip w/ the slightest touch)

up in the air is still relevant to what happens for air travel.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Boston to DC (Staying in Reston VA. if anyone wants to hook up). Quick flight.
This Thursday-Monday.
I am buying some luggage as I type this off Amazon. I figured I would need just one piece. I mean Christ man, I am not THAT big contrary to this boards beliefs.
The trip is only 4 days. Mostly in a data center. It's not a vacation. So I was just taking needed shit, like toiletries, tools, tablet light clothes.
I didn't know you needed locks for your shit. Would they steal my shit? Really? I mean ain't there cameras and shit all over the place? Will look into that now.
I was told my backpack would be allowed on the flight so I was only planning on two pieces.

Was thinking of this since it has a lock like you mentioned.

Amazon.com | Delsey Luggage Passenger Lite Carry-on Expandable Suitcase, Merlot | Carry-Ons

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Boston to DC (Staying in Reston VA. if anyone wants to hook up). Quick flight.
This Thursday-Monday.
I am buying some luggage as I type this off Amazon. I figured I would need just one piece. I mean Christ man, I am not THAT big contrary to this boards beliefs.
The trip is only 4 days. Mostly in a data center. It's not a vacation. So I was just taking needed shit, like toiletries, tools, tablet light clothes.
I didn't know you needed locks for your shit. Would they steal my shit? Really? I mean ain't there cameras and shit all over the place? Will look into that now.
I was told my backpack would be allowed on the flight so I was only planning on two pieces.

Was thinking of this since it has a lock like you mentioned.

Amazon.com | Delsey Luggage Passenger Lite Carry-on Expandable Suitcase, Merlot | Carry-Ons
well, it's the spinner type luggage, you basically push it around instead of dragging.

who knows if the lock works, it's really just for your piece of mind, there are enough horror stories of ppl losing their valuables (there are a few newsreports where they leave an ipad in checked luggage, for it to be "lost", only to turn on "find my ipad" and track it back to a TSA guy), only put clothes and shit in checked luggage, stuff you don't mind losing and keeping all your valuables/laptops with you.

well dude, you're big, your 1 dress shirt takes up the dimensions and weight of 2 of my dress shirts (i'm 5'10, 190), i just know i traveled with big guys and they always had more luggage cuz of clothes.

if you're thinking about a carry-on here's a guide of luggage
Wheeled-Luggage-Size-Guide-Header.jpg

carry-on will be any rolling tote and 17-20in rolling luggage, and the duffel bags. luggage is sold by how tall it is (which also equals capacity)

here's a quick test, if you're at home, pack 3 days worth of clothes, weigh yourself, then carry your clothes and weigh yourself again, then subtract, will that be enough?

• 2Like

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Get a movie and watch it on your phone/ipad, try to find something to do with your free time. Maybe even pay for the wifi and post here or browse something on the web.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
My advice:

Upgrade to better seat/early board (unless jet blue I find them fine for legroom still).

Arrive early (Logan is slow but steady to get through security most days)

Have someone drop you off (Logan parking is extra terrible and it will be stressful)

Bring only a small personal bag you can keep on you without any trouble, check your other bag(s) so you don't have to worry about them while in the airport.

Study up on what you can and can't pack and what you can pack but not bring as a carryon. Put all your "I need this while flying stuff" in a separate bag in your carryon and have it right at the top (headphones, sweatshirt, hat/sunglasses, drink you buy past security).

Wear comfy clothes with no belt, slip on shoes and put anything like a hoody/hat/sunglasses in your carryon before security so you don't have to strip off tons of stuff. Leave worthless pocket junk behind at home, car keys, change, work badges you won't need, etc.

Go to the bathroom before boarding. Don't eat shit that's going to make you shit, especially if you are anxious from the experience.

Bring noise canceling headset and an mp3 player to listen to something nice on your flight.

While in the aisle waiting to take your seat, remove your go-bag and get ready to place your carryon in overhead.

Once seated, immediately test your seatbelt. You may need or want an extension, flag down a flight attendant politely (they have a job during boarding so may take a bit) and just request an extension when they have a minute. Worst case, after the door closes you can press the overhead attendant alert button.

Get comfy, relax, turn your phone in airplane mode and enjoy your short hop.

Easy. Just be glad you don't have to deal with ATC. You'll be fine. Bring extra socks and underwear.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I get pretty anxious when flying, definitely not scared but I get nervous sweats and bowels.

Ativan sort of helps, but I find it makes me overly tired.

Last time I was anxious while flying I had an emergency stop while taxiing because Michelle Obama's black government Suburbans showed up to bring her to the 737 tied down at the FBO and I blew through like 6 extra gallons of 100 LL for her dumb ass because ground control kept telling me "just another minute" while they secretly cleared her for an emergency departure without telling me. Couldn't even pull off and shut down just emergency hold. Dumb.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
If I were you I wouldn't attempt to drug myself. Just bring something to distract you, maybe an audio book, close your eyes, breath deep, and practice relaxation techniques. Any time I get nervous flying I look for some small woman or child who is relaxed and figure that I shouldn't be more afraid than they are. I remember flying into Denver once in a little 18 passenger prop plane where there was so much turbulence that my book was literally jumping off of my lap and I had a death grip on the armrest and the woman across the aisle from me just looked at me and said casually, "It's always like this" so I resolved to get it together and damned if that little plane didn't land in Denver just fine.

• 2Like

Vinen

God is dead
Don't forget Brahma is probably flying out of Logan, possibly the worst airport ever

I fly out of Logan 2-3 times a month. It's far better then most in the United States right now.
Thank god its not fucking Newark. That place is a fucking shit-hole (The state / city it resides in and the airport).

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I fly out of Logan 2-3 times a month. It's far better then most in the United States right now.
Thank god its not fucking Newark. That place is a fucking shit-hole (The state / city it resides in and the airport).
i hate A/B/C terminal bullshit, not to mention it's nearly impossible to pickup a person, and you can't even park in the median to wait b/c everyone else and fucking Uber shits are parking there so police kick you out, so you either drive around or pay the 10$ an hour, the fuck.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

But seriously, you put your life in other people's hands every time you drive on public roadways. And who the fuck knows what those people are doing, drinking, texting, talking, sleeping etc. At least when you get in an American plane you're guaranteed that there are alert and focused professionals guiding your way.

I don't have any good recommendations other than to get a nice buzz going before and during a flight and bring an ipad or something to watch a movie. Personally I listen to audio books through the whole thing. I wouldn't recommend getting drunk, who knows how you'll react.

• 1Like