Pillars of Eternity, Obsidian's new CRPG in the vein of Baldur's Gate

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Oh wow, Tides of Numenara is separate game - goddamn, thank you for reminding me that - this and ToN got blended in my memory. When's that one on schedule for? Late this year?

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Tides is supposed to be the spiritual sucessor to Planescape:Torment, the best RPG of all time (it is known). Definitely looking forward to it, but since Torment has an almost godlike status in my eyes, I almost feel like I'm being setup for a letdown..

Definitely counting down the days to Pillars, as I've been waiting for years.. Been a great last year for RPG's with Divinity, Wasteland II, and Darkest Dungeon.. Really hope this game shines..

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Old school RPG gaming is back. although I expect this one to be a bit less beefy than bg1 or 2.

Pillars of eternity
Tides of numerena.
sword coast legends
and there is a baldurs 1.5 sequel with same engine slated for 2015 as well
I dunno man, the Endless Paths of Nua is basically that one super dungeon from BGII... I forget the name but it starts with a C. It really looks like its going to be the full package.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Tides is supposed to be the spiritual sucessor to Planescape:Torment, the best RPG of all time (it is known). Definitely looking forward to it, but since Torment has an almost godlike status in my eyes, I almost feel like I'm being setup for a letdown..

Definitely counting down the days to Pillars, as I've been waiting for years.. Been a great last year for RPG's with Divinity, Wasteland II, and Darkest Dungeon.. Really hope this game shines..
Yea, slightly disappointed this wasn't the Torment successor (been telling the wife it was, oops - fortunately she wasn't that into Torment compared to me) - but still superb to see so many.

Raign

Golden Squire
Oh wow, Tides of Numenara is separate game - goddamn, thank you for reminding me that - this and ToN got blended in my memory. When's that one on schedule for? Late this year?
Yeah, think they are looking at early fall 2015 right now. Shit, did not know about Baldur's Gate 1.5, that is awesome. Time to go google that!

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
inExile is doing Tides, right? They did a pretty damn good job with Wasteland 2, but the production values were obviously very low compared to even something like Divinity. I hope they improve on that.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
inExile is doing Tides, right? They did a pretty damn good job with Wasteland 2, but the production values were obviously very low compared to even something like Divinity. I hope they improve on that.
I think they will since they got a boatload of funds and just signed a deal to release WL2 on PS4 and Xbox One.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I couldn't stay away, I take back what I said about rogue being underwhelming, they do very well with some more points into stealth etc. I checked out Cipher, they so far do the most damage with spells so far that I have seen(could be the fact I pumped might) but Mind lance is really mean.

Druid is strong as well, but not on the front line, even when in animal form with defensive skills activated I was a little squishy, better off playing them like a cleric or mage. Not really digging Wizard, they are hard to use effectively when you have to worry about friendly fire.

Pretty sure my Party will be:

Fighter
Barbarian
Druid
Priest
Chanter
Cipher

The difference from easy to Normal is huge, normal to hard not so much, haven't tried whatever hardest is called but with how rough hard setting plays it must be crazy difficult.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Yes.

My hope is they make a world as deep, sandboxy and interesting as they did in WL2. My feeling is combat should be better as it is fantasy ( more spells and such ).. I just hope they keep the environment and dialogue skills ( traps etc )... they did a great job with that in WL2.

Here is a quick link to Beam Dog's BG 1.5 thing

http://www.pcgamer.com/beamdog-confi...-in-the-works/

Raign

Golden Squire
I couldn't stay away, I take back what I said about rogue being underwhelming, they do very well with some more points into stealth etc. I checked out Cipher, they so far do the most damage with spells so far that I have seen(could be the fact I pumped might) but Mind lance is really mean.

Druid is strong as well, but not on the front line, even when in animal form with defensive skills activated I was a little squishy, better off playing them like a cleric or mage. Not really digging Wizard, they are hard to use effectively when you have to worry about friendly fire.

Pretty sure my Party will be:

Fighter
Barbarian
Druid
Priest
Chanter
Cipher

The difference from easy to Normal is huge, normal to hard not so much, haven't tried whatever hardest is called but with how rough hard setting plays it must be crazy difficult.
So is this built out like WL2 or BG? That is to say, do you create your whole party or do you create 1 character and the rest are recruited throughout the game? I prefer to make my own party with 1 or 2 npc add ons rather than just one character and a slew of NPCs but that is just personal taste.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
So is this built out like WL2 or BG? That is to say, do you create your whole party or do you create 1 character and the rest are recruited throughout the game? I prefer to make my own party with 1 or 2 npc add ons rather than just one character and a slew of NPCs but that is just personal taste.
It's both. You recruit NPCs that have personalities, dialogues, quests and such, but you can also recruit NPCs you make yourself once you unlock your stronghold/town thing, so if you don't like the premade NPCs, you can just make one with the perfect stats and stuff. Obviously they don't come with any content like quests, they're just blank NPCs. So you can run 6rogues if you want or whatever.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I don't see how you can do perfect stats, they did a really good job of making every stat important. Every time I think my character has enough intelligence, resolve or whatever I hit a dialogue option that tells me otherwise, for combat you could argue everyone should have at least 17 might but then you get screwed some where else. The story is based off your character alone, does not matter who talks to a NPC it goes off your character sheet, this make for decent replay value.

Anyone know how long this games is? BG2 was like 100 hours for me, likely more.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
I don't see how you can do perfect stats, they did a really good job of making every stat important. Every time I think my character has enough intelligence, resolve or whatever I hit a dialogue option that tells me otherwise, for combat you could argue everyone should have at least 17 might but then you get screwed some where else. The story is based off your character alone, does not matter who talks to a NPC it goes off your character sheet, this make for decent replay value.

Not sure, i will be starting on 26th. Looking forward to it. Curiously i am playing through bg2 right now as well.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>

You can make perfect combat stats. Dialogue stats is something else, but there's pretty much always a combat resolution available to every problem, dialogue stuff only lets you bypass some combat and maybe get different/better rewards, but if you have a kill squad, you can mow down everything regardless. A lot of the stats are actually pretty trash, combat wise. That said it's not a big deal, but when I said perfect stats I didn't mean like the perfect stats in a vacuum, and more the perfect stats for what you want to do. If you want to make a really tanky chanter and the premade NPC is more like a ranged squishy chanter stats wise, well then you'd need to make a custom one with high vitality/resolve/might or whatever you feel like, which would be perfect for the role you thought of. Not necessarily the perfect chanter build.

As for length, if you assume the length is roughly the same per area, then it's between BG1 and BG2, a bit closer to BG2. It's less than BG2 in that regard and most likely will end up being shorter than BG2 overall, but it should still be 50-60hours or something like that, so not a huge deal, plus good replayability.

Caliane

does that mean your player character does all the talking, and has all the dialogue checks? hate when games to that. wish party games like this, handled dialogue as a party more often. inter-party dialogue, as well as the simple, high stat party members butting in, and taking over when a low stat member fails a check. The wizard is standing right there!, hes not just going to stand there while the fighter fails the int check.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Hey guys, I have not looked at the classes much and pretty busy before I start thursday night. Does anyone know if there is a class with strong Crowd Control capability ?