Pit bulls - The Breed of Peace

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Wait, what makes them vicious bloodthirsty baby killers then? Is it their looks or their breeding? Cause, if it's their breeding then no matter how obvious of a cosmetic difference you choose to ignore, it makes all the difference in the world. Sounds like you're saying what makes them bloodthirsty baby killers is whether they make you wet your pants when you see them.
Im saying just because your dogs tail curves up instead of down doesnt mean its a different breed than a dog whose tail curves down.

Cybsled

The problem of breeding isn't unique to Pitbulls. Basically, when you breed just for certain physical features (typically looks) and not for an easy temperament, then you can run into aggression or health problems. Pitbulls were originally bred to be protective of children. If you breed dogs to be badasses that maul, don't be surprised when they attack people as well.

Don't forget how humans domesticated wolves to begin with. The core aspect was always temperament. Nasty to humans? Well, your ass is tonight's BBQ! Nice to humans? GG, we will breed you and pass on your genes to the next generation. The Russians have been doing that experiment with Silver Foxes since the Stalin era with amazing results...basically, breeding for easy going, human friendly temperament has brought about physical changes in the animal in addition to them essentially acting like dogs instead of foxes.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Pit Bull Attacks And Kills Man Apparently Trying To Help Its Ailing Owner - BuzzFeed News

tldr: 2 old men 62/63 living upstairs/downstairs, one of em has medical condition calls paramedics, other old man comes and helps, paramedics come notice other old man being atttacked by dog, police called, both old men dead.

and yea, pit bull.

they're thinking it was the pit was protecting the owner, however you'd think if you live in the same house with a damn dog, you'd at least be able to call it's name or something, unless this is of those crazy dogs that only listen to the owner and are super protective. (cuz the owner is a retard and treat the dog like a baby, this seems the case to me, sounds like the other old guy just didn't know this dog, was probably scared of it)

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Why the fuck does a 60 year old man living by himself own a pit bull in the first place.

Owner stupidity once again.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I don't see how that particular decision is owner stupidity. If you were old and lived alone wouldn't you want a big dog?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
well to be fair, if you're old and alone, a pet is really the perfect companion. pitbull? i mean it just sounds like an over-protective owner dog, hell that pitbull probably was good security for the house. I would call the old man crazy if he had a pack of pitbulls, but it was just one.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'd rather have a mastiff than a pit for guarding, if it wasn't too small of a place. Also, early 60's isn't like old folks home elderly or anything. Plenty of people in their sixties still in better shape than a typical thirty something obese American. Probably not these guys, but its possible.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I mean I guess it's less an age thing as more the medical condition thing. My parents have a lab/pit mix, and while he's normally friendly as hell, I'm pretty sure if I was having a seizure or a heart attack or something, and he was off his leash, he'd probably attack any stranger trying to give me aid too. So if you have a medical condition that might render you incapacitated, you should probably consider either getting a smaller dog, or making goddamn sure that dog is well trained.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Pits generally need a lot of exercise. If the guy was healthy maybe he could keep up with that, otherwise it is a bad choice for a pet for the elderly.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Pits generally need a lot of exercise. If the guy was healthy maybe he could keep up with that, otherwise it is a bad choice for a pet for the elderly.
That's true, generally most medium/large dogs need to be walked (i would personally say 30mins a day)otherwise they go doggie cray cray and develop neurological disorders like eating couch and licking windows 12hours a day and shit.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
Pit Bull Attacks And Kills Man Apparently Trying To Help Its Ailing Owner - BuzzFeed News

tldr: 2 old men 62/63 living upstairs/downstairs, one of em has medical condition calls paramedics, other old man comes and helps, paramedics come notice other old man being atttacked by dog, police called, both old men dead.

and yea, pit bull.

they're thinking it was the pit was protecting the owner, however you'd think if you live in the same house with a damn dog, you'd at least be able to call it's name or something, unless this is of those crazy dogs that only listen to the owner and are super protective. (cuz the owner is a retard and treat the dog like a baby, this seems the case to me, sounds like the other old guy just didn't know this dog, was probably scared of it)
Yes they are very big bullies like most big dogs, if you show you're scared of them they will push you around, also the guy probably never really brought the pit around alot of random people as it was growing up so it was probably one of those very isolated incidents where yeah the dog was treated like a baby never had contact with alot of random people while growing up.

the age of the owner matters very little if the dog was properly trained, thats literally it the end.

this guy should have taken the time to properly train him IE bring him to obedience class or at least watch a few videos on how to properly train an animal, because thats when you're a responsible owner, take the fucking time out and bring your giant dog you're afraid of to obedience training simple dont be a lazy fuck, training the dog is all that matters they dont snap for no reason and go on murderous rampages(as long as they dont sense any danger while their owner is around), yes if someone breaks into your house without a gun that person is going to get murdered by your pit, by design exactly how you wanted him too protect your ass, all the pits i have had have been great except 1, they were all trained to the point where if they heard my voice calling their name they stopped dead in their tracks, it happened all the time when i would take them out into the woods they would try to chase deer and shit.

also this whole argument of small dog = harmless is really dumb in the case of a small child alot of smaller dogs have worse tempers and bite more often than big ones, look at chihuahuas and boston terrier, yes granted it would take 10 bites to equal 1 pit snap but just painting them as psychotic murderous dogs who snap at any moment, like in this case on this old man is stupid.

there are really rare occasions though my dad had this dobi for about 12 years he took him to obedience was well trained could sit on command for 30minutes or so just waiting all that kind of stuff, my dad loved this dog brought it with him everywhere treated him like a king and even won a couple dog shows with him he was very well behaved, until i was born my dad had spent so much time with this dog that it was literally jealous of me after i was born, i cant remember how old i was it was under a year i was really small still, but my dad went to hold me and out of no where the dog jumped up and bit me in the face, my dad had to put him down after that, as sad as it was.

but this argument is so tired honestly people if you're gonna buy a dog that you physically dont think you could stop it if he snaps, bring it to obedience school even if you can physically stop your dog its still a good thing to get him trained right, i cant stand when people literally just give the dog food and water and thats it, no training no type of introducing it to people as its a baby nothing.

I dont even understand this one, to get down to the story of what happened to the girl you gotta go down a bit but here, link if you care to readScarred Girlt Take Money From KFC - BuzzFeed News

A few weeks ago, 3-year-old Victoria Wilcher was attacked by three pit bulls when they burst through the trailer of her grandfather's house, how and why did 3 pitbulls just basically break into a trailer? im assuming it was just a screen door and the regular one was open, but still WHY would 3 pits go into that trailer and attack that girl, thats crazy.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
heres the grandfather interview. basically sounds like they were in the back, she was playing with cats? then dogs bust through, granddaddys gf lays on top of girl he grabs his gun and shoots all 3.

my assumption is that the dogs thought she was prey, they always seem to go for the eyes and lips when that happens.

also here's december update
Whatever happened to Victoria Wilcher, victim of dog attack outfitted with prosthetic eye? - Naples Daily News

seems the family didn't want KFC's money or the gofundme, they're probably doing that so they can try to sue KFC to get more money, "even tho KFC has proven their investigation that this incident didn't happen"

i believe KFC, this whole family looks skeezy and they're just trying to make bank off KFC in some way, too bad they're using their girl as ammunition.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
To be fair, I think I could fight off a crazed Chihuahua but a crazed pit bull would be an entirely different story without a firearm or sword or something. The risk of a 10 pound dog is pretty minimal except to babies or toddlers.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Hell no, you can't bring an un-armed human into a pitbull fight, you dead. The worst that could happen is if they drag you down, they bite your arm, clamp, shake and drag you down. Cuz they want you at ground level, you're alive if you're vertical, b/c then at least they're just biting your arms and legs, the instant you go down and lie horizontal you're dog food. They go into predator mode, they start on your face all the time, all extreme pitbull attacks have at least 1 eye, 1 ear missing and they always go for the lips.

here, just 1 pit gets to rip off an arm

a pack of em will get you good

dog owner and 3 pit bulls, again when they attack as a pack, you are dead
1 eye, 1ear, busted up scalp, both arms and her legs look really beat up too.
Woman Attacked by Pitbulls Asks For Help - AOL On

Westwego woman lost eye, ear and both arms after pit bull attack | NOLA.com
The pit bulls, Zeus, a 4-year-old male; Brutus, a 2-year-old male; and Ghost, a 4-year-old female, apparently attacked Henry as she walked through the front door. The fourth pit bull, Big Lucy, 8, was in a back room at the time, Allen said.

A neighbor, who identified herself only as Alma, said Thursday she was outside when she saw Henry walk in, and moments later she heard a commotion. She said she walked to the side of the house and heard Henry screaming, "Get off of me."

She yelled to her neighbor's son-in-law across Avenue A to call police. That man ran to the house and tried to get in, but one of the dogs attacked him, Alma and Munch said.

Three officers arrived and were greeted similarly, Munch said. "They could hear the woman screaming in the house," Munch said. "They saw all three dogs biting her."

An officer shot and killed one of the dogs as it charged them when they opened the door, the chief said. A second pit bull turned on the officers, too, and it was shot and wounded, causing it to retreat to an igloo-like kennel in the home, Munch said.

The officers then shot the third dog, still mauling Henry, Munch said. With the fourth dog still in the house, officers dragged Henry outside to waiting EMS technicians.

Munch said the fourth dog, Big Lucy, also attacked an officer, who in response used his Taser to try to subdue it. "That didn't work," Munch said. That dog "was on the attack and had to be shot by another officer."

The dog that retreated to the kennel later died, Munch said, adding that one of the dogs -- apparently Ghost -- recently had puppies.
I was bit once as 12 yr old by a lassie fucking dog, it broke free and chased us kids (4 of us), i jumped a fence, it just happend to nick my ankle. Lol i didn't even know i was bit until we all regrouped, and we examined ourselves and my shoe was bloody, then i just fell down crying, guess the adrenaline wore off.

My chow/shepherd never bit me once, i mean of course he'd nick my finger tips when i hold a treat above his head and said get it, but he knew not to chomp. Could he break skin? hell yea, would i have been able to take him on? idk, if he was pulling on 1 arm, i figure i'd pull back with my 2 legs, in effect both of us pulling my arm out.

If it's some other dog? i'd go straight for the nuclear option, i'd jab it in the eye and gouge out his eye. I don't have a plan for anything afterwards, all i know is i'll always say go for the eye, hopefully they stop or run away.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Forget eyes, grab their front paws and twist them inwards as hard as you can. Or if you're really lucky they'll have a collar on and you can use that for leverage.

But the real problem with defending yourself against a pit bull that's already attacking you is the fact that they're heavy, muscular dogs and have a low center of gravity. If my parents lab/pit mix went on the attack I would feel confident that I could kill him pretty easily compared to a pure pit bull, he got quite a bit of height from the lab mix.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Forget eyes, grab their front paws and twist them inwards as hard as you can. Or if you're really lucky they'll have a collar on and you can use that for leverage.

But the real problem with defending yourself against a pit bull that's already attacking you is the fact that they're heavy, muscular dogs and have a low center of gravity. If my parents lab/pit mix went on the attack I would feel confident that I could kill him pretty easily compared to a pure pit bull, he got quite a bit of height from the lab mix.
There's an idea for a Rerolled fundraiser: Gavinslob vs Pitty the lab dog - a battle of epic proportions.