Pit bulls - The Breed of Peace

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
lol @ gavinrad trying some akido against a dog.

The reason I say I wouldn't ever want a dog whose ass I couldn't kick is because I know I couldn't fight a pitbull, rot, german shepherd etc that wanted me dead. However, I'm partial to the strategy of sticking my arm down its throat, or trying to grab it by the neck, grab the opposite front leg, push it to the ground and hope it's not agile enough to bite my hand.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Having children is not optional if we want to survive as a species. Having dogs is optional.
Are you implying that dog ownership is leading to the extinction of mankind? How long do we have left, bro? We gonna be on the endangered species list by 2050 (I figure i'll be dead by then)?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
remember pitbulls, while they can be trained (nature vs. nurture) to be kind loving animals, they are still just 60lbs of muscle.

LiveLeak.com - ***Vicious pitbull attack!***
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.liveleak.com/ll_embed?f=1678bacaa184" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Look at this, i'm guessing the owner is just whacking away at the Pit's head trying to release this poor, probably dead dog. It ain't gonna work.

Does he drop 3 bricks on this Pit's head?

Yea whoever said punching a dogs head, isn't gonna work, is 100% correct, the dude got tired trying to beat the dog down!

But we do see the guy at end, get super leverage, picked up the dog by the collar and Pit let go.

Lesson learned, Pit's could give 2 shits about having concrete hit their head, if you choke the bitch out MMA style, that'll work tho.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I can tell you for 100% certainty you aren't going to grab a fighting dogs front paws for long enough to do anything to them. These dogs are a big mass of muscle that can squirm extremely fast. Maybe you would be lucky to grab a back leg hard enough to swing the dog around into a wall or body slam it few times, but even that is unlikely.
We had a boxer/amstaff hybrid for a few years. She was a stout little thing. If we were assholes we could have probably made some good fighters out of her. She was like 99.9% muscle, and would wriggle out of any grasp you tried to put her in. Pits have a very similar build to what she had. I wouldn't want to go hand to hand with anything with those dimensions.

nr2X6h4.jpg

This ain't her, but it's pretty close. She was the runt of her litter. The biggest were twice her size, more in line with boxers.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole

The reason I say I wouldn't ever want a dog whose ass I couldn't kick is because I know I couldn't fight a pitbull, rot, german shepherd etc that wanted me dead. However, I'm partial to the strategy of sticking my arm down its throat, or trying to grab it by the neck, grab the opposite front leg, push it to the ground and hope it's not agile enough to bite my hand.
I mean it's just simple anatomy. Canine legs dont have the kind of flexibility that human arms have, so it doesn't take much tranverse movement to tear muscle or destroy joints.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor

Yeah, if you own a big dog--you get a choker. Period. The animal rights activists will bitch and whine, but it's a safety measure on a dog that size. Don't use it, keep it on with the regular leash or harness. Of the dog goes nuts, one good yank of that thing will make even the toughest dog heel, and a good choker is easy to hold onto.

We used to own one of the largest Rottweiler's in the state, big enough that combined with his "perfect" head dimensions, breeders came to stud him from all over (Dog's head was really impressive, fucking huge). Really amazing dog, though, very kind and gentle actually. My mother, who is a dog groomer and works around them all day?Nevertook his choker off though. It's rare, but in her 20+ years of grooming she's seen 3 dogs just snap (Two she said were old, sweet animals, one was young and a little rough but not bad). No reason for it she could surmise, just something set them off and they went ape shit. She's seen plenty of dogs bite, mind you; that happens when a dog is with strangers and not happy. "Snapping" though, as she classifies it is when there is no warning bite, the dog just goes in with the intent to murder someone--and they don't stop even when the person submits (Which most dogs who are just angry will do).

Now, she's groomed thousands and thousands of dogs, and has only seen it three times. Two with really old dogs she suspected might have had something really wrong with them and once with a very young dog. But once you see how scary a dog can be when it's not fucking around? You'll never want to be unprepared for it, even with a dog you trust, a lot. (People mistake the "growl on command" and "attack" play with seeing how scary a dog can be. But those tings are not even close, there is just something different when you hear a real, honest to goodness killer growl). And our dogs were part of the family, but it's just like any human, really; they can be dangerous. Even if you have known them forever. It doesn't mean you can't enjoy them and trust them, you just need to be prepared for it. (Like anything that could potentially be dangerous--I'm a lot more worried about my pool, than my dog; but I think about both in relation to my kids.)

Like every kid though, I was curious how someone would "fight a dog"--what I gathered from her, and a few trainers (One who trained guard dogs). Essentially you have very little chance with just your hands. But if you're desperate, let it bite your forearm and then try to push them back, or, if you can, throw them, literally just try to pick them up (With the help of your other hand) and slam them into the ground. They are stronger than you, so don't try to wrestle or grapple with them--but use your size advantage to throw (Which will be hard because they will be jerking you all over). Also don't kick, if they get your leg, they will pull you down and you're fucked then OR it will open you up for a groin bite, and many breeds WILL bite there. But this is all predicated on you 1.) Ignoring the pain of that bite--unlikely. 2.) The bite on your arm not tugging you down. Also unlikely... 3.) Not freaking the fuck out, and...good luck with that too. Dogs that are looking to hurt you are scary asshit. If you can do those three things, youmightbe able to stun it long enough to get away. Beating it outright? Not sure if that's possible, people don't realize how hearty dogs are, they can take a real ass kicking and still fight for a while.

If they scare bulls and bears, they should scare humans essentially hah. If you're fighting a dog, the strategy should be to get a window so you can run, not try to win unless you've got a weapon.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'd just rather not own a dog where I need a choker or a pinch collar in case of emergencies, but obviously the general problem is always with other people's dogs who don't train/restrain them properly. With my parents dog it's more likely i'll be stopping him from attacking something else, which gives me a pretty good advantage in picking my first shot and making it count.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i saw too many of those "dog strangles itself cuz it got caught in a fence with the choke collar" to leave it on the dog 24/7.

Sledge

Trakanon Raider
I mean it's just simple anatomy. Canine legs dont have the kind of flexibility that human arms have, so it doesn't take much tranverse movement to tear muscle or destroy joints.
You won't be able to grab a fighting dogs front legs long enough to put any pressure on them at all. Even if you're rough housing your own dog it's nearly impossible, let alone if the dog is fighting for it's life and biting at the same time. They squirm and pull very fast in all directions.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Having shot several wild dogs up in Oklahoma which would attack my grandparents chickens, cows, and domestic dogs, when dogs decide to attack you they come at you faster than you would believe. Me and my brother both had shotguns and several dog executions were close things. Fighting those dumb things unarmed? Fuck. That.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Who could forget the trained animal control lady that got attacked by a pit, she was armed with a stick!, then she tried to arm herself with a fat bitch! both were not effective.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Kinda shocked none of you guys have fought dogs. It's not too hard to control most non molasser (so?) breeds. The real issues fighting dogs bare handed are when you fight one with a lot of loose skin around the face And neck (this allows themp to twist within the skin, so when held they can still get to your hands) or ones with a lot of fur (chows etc, same problem)

Hand down the throat is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. You think, you are going to ninja jam your arm up to the elbow, down a small hole, before all the teeth go into your skin... If you don't, dog shakes, your skin simply comes off.

If it's a concern or interest, find some really sporty dogs, and start slap fighting them. Eventually you will find their limits, as well as yours.

I'd fight a pit over a mastiff or chow any day.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Well... I wasn't really afraid of dogs until reading this thread...

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Doesn't matter. Dogs who sense fear are unstoppable killing machines that can't be stopped by such a petty thing as a shotgun blast.