Pit bulls - The Breed of Peace

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I hate these incidents for several reasons, the fact that they happen, and the idiots that come out of the woodwork each time.

It is unclear what caused the pit bulls to become aggressive.

Oh yes, another pitball incident that happens for no reason and people "have no idea" how a pitbull can randomly maul someone to death... again. I'm sure something in their easy going suburban living environment triggered those poor dogs to feel they were under immediate threat.

And then the friends go on some tirade because god forbid people call it like they see it

1665078361088.png

Oh I don't know, maybe people continue to try to warn people about the dangers of this breed yet no one wants to listen and continue to post cute pictures of their "pit mommies". And then the icing on the cake:

The breed is also on the list of the dogs that bite the most, according to the Journal, alongside Chihuahuas, German Shepherds, and Cocker Spaniels.

Hmmm, I wonder why it's a big deal why pitbulls are on this list and why no one cares about chihuahuas and cocker spaniels being on it.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I hate these incidents for several reasons, the fact that they happen, and the idiots that come out of the woodwork each time.

Oh yes, another pitball incident that happens for no reason and people "have no idea" how a pitbull can randomly maul someone to death... again. I'm sure something in their easy going suburban living environment triggered those poor dogs to feel they were under immediate threat.

And then the friends go on some tirade because god forbid people call it like they see it

View attachment 436514

Oh I don't know, maybe people continue to try to warn people about the dangers of this breed yet no one wants to listen and continue to post cute pictures of their "pit mommies". And then the icing on the cake:

Hmmm, I wonder why it's a big deal why pitbulls are on this list and why no one cares about chihuahuas and cocker spaniels being on it.

Ignoring the German Shepherds though?

• 1Pathetic
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

View attachment 436514

for years chowchow was on lists of dogs that bite, i've said b4, my chow never tried to bite me or my wife and he only ever growled at delivery men and black ppl, he was the perfect dog.

and my theory why chowchows are listed so high at biting kids? cuz they look like a fucking lion
Antoninette-B.jpg

and kids just crawl all over the chow and tug and pull on its mane, cuz kids can't resist that floofy cuteness.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I didn't say the numbers were high, I just thought it odd he glossed over them.
Because it's kind of obvious which dogs with a tendency towards aggression problems actually pose a danger to humans?

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
found the initial popo report
comments are 50/50 pitbull hates/lovers
they didnt' even mention pitbull here, everyone just assumed

this one thinks theyre covering up all the dog attacks by other breeds
26c7f091ce96ade3f38394aee0d8c286.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I mean I thought so, which why I thought it was weird hed mentioned 2 but not the third.

As Gavin said, I didn't mention them because it's obvious why they should be on the list. Also, the context of the thread is pitbulls. But to further elaborate, I bet if you asked most people, they'd say they're aware of and afraid of shepherds due to their reputation. Funnily enough, they'd probably have a worse reputation than pitbulls if you took a poll of people. Them being used as K9 units probably doesn't help either. The big difference though, is even if it's proven that shepherds are more likely to attack someone than pitbulls, something in pitbulls causes them to:

1. attack with almost 0 provocation what so ever (Hence killing little kids for no reason)

2. attack mindlessly until something is dead even with people trying to beat them off of it, where as shepherds would attack and more likely stop or be pulled off.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
  • 2Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 4 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I mean I thought so, which why I thought it was weird hed mentioned 2 but not the third.
I own a german shepherd, and I'd never let kids or someone not prepared to deal with the insanity of my dog close to it without carefully setting the scene. Dog is super friendly and nice, but doesn't have an off switch in certain situations. The idea of someone picking up a dog like this from the pound and dumping it off with their family is pretty much criminal to me.

• 1Truth!

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
I own a german shepherd, and I'd never let kids or someone not prepared to deal with the insanity of my dog close to it without carefully setting the scene. Dog is super friendly and nice, but doesn't have an off switch in certain situations. The idea of someone picking up a dog like this from the pound and dumping it off with their family is pretty much criminal to me.
Since my wife and I got our first dog we have made it a rule to do everything we can to make them safe around kids. We've had kids do everything from grabbing tails and poking eyes to sticking their hands down the dogs throats.

Kids, especially ones barely familiar with dogs are a danger to themselves and the dog. Even with all the precautions in the world dumb shit will happen. We had a kid grab our dogs tongue once, as he let it go he reached in and cut his hand on the dogs tooth. Luckily the parent witnessed it and saw that the dog hadn't bit.

There are tons of guardian breeds that will defend your family and are safe around kids. Sheep dogs are a good example. Why you would introduce risk by choosing a fighting breed is beyond me.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
for years chowchow was on lists of dogs that bite, i've said b4, my chow never tried to bite me or my wife and he only ever growled at delivery men and black ppl, he was the perfect dog.

and my theory why chowchows are listed so high at biting kids? cuz they look like a fucking lion
Antoninette-B.jpg

and kids just crawl all over the chow and tug and pull on its mane, cuz kids can't resist that floofy cuteness.
I had a Chow Chow when I was younger. My parents had gotten it from me from a breeder. My dad likes to talk about how the choice was made. Apparently the puppies had all ran down some stairs and the one they chose had fallen off into the house plants at the bottom. He growled and snapped at the plants. My dad thought that the Chow was tough. Later on we figured out he was just dorky stupid. He was a fantastic dog that rarely showed aggression. He did this only two times. Once when my nephew visited and thought he could just rough house with him. The other time was when I took him for a walk and a nosy neighbor walked to close to me. Both times were warranted situations. Otherwise I could do anything to him within reason, with no aggression. I would grab his cheeks, or pull on his purple tongue, or grab his legs; all in a playful manor with no aggression shown.

I never got all the facts but apparently one of his brothers did snap. They had to actually put him down. I wonder what instigated the situation...

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Since my wife and I got our first dog we have made it a rule to do everything we can to make them safe around kids. We've had kids do everything from grabbing tails and poking eyes to sticking their hands down the dogs throats.

Dog's all are unique, but breeds definitely have their own tendencies no matter what you do to train them. GSDs as an example naturally have a distrust of the 'unknown'. So compared to most dogs, they tend to isolate more at dog parks, or naturally be more skittish. You can see this play out at a very young age with simple things like food. Give a GSD some novel food item and it will tend to inspect it before eating. Give a lab the same item of food and the lab will tend to eat it without question.

This isn't necessarily a bad or good quality, but it is exactly what makes GSDs typically far better guard dogs than labs.

Socializing and exposing a dog to new situations constantly is important to making them well balanced, but the effectiveness begins to quickly drop off with age. Once a dog is about a year old, you can only do so much to change their personality. Most dogs will generally be fine around a family and kids, but a pitbull is bred to fight. If you socialized one rigorously since a pup it might be safe. If you acquired one after it was a year old, its formative years are a mystery to you. It is not a safe animal.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Colby Bennard's uncle, Jeff Gibson, wrote on Facebook that Kirstie Jane Bennard has an "uncountable amount of stitches and bite marks over her entire body including her face."
Her legs and arms are completely wrapped in bandages, but she likely won't have permanent damage "other than a heart that will never heal," the post says.

"[Kirstie] is a f---ing hero! This attack lasted over 10 minutes, and she never gave up trying to save these babies," Gibson wrote.
really? she struggles with 2 dogs ripping her kids apart, shredding up her arms and legs and she couldn't think that in the first minute of this attack she has to goto the kitchen, grab a knife and gut these 2 dogs?

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Kirstie is a fucking hero! for failing to save her children from being savagely mauled to death by the animals SHE was responsible for allowing into the house.

she couldn't think that in the first minute of this attack she has to goto the kitchen, grab a knife and gut these 2 dogs?

You could have stopped at "she couldnt think". Why do you think 99% of cop videos involving female officers involve them shrieking at the top of their lungs in sheer panic?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
There are tons of guardian breeds that will defend your family and are safe around kids. Sheep dogs are a good example. Why you would introduce risk by choosing a fighting breed is beyond me.

In the context of the number of dogs there are, it's still pretty safe. According to Google, there are 18 million pit bulls in the US. If 33 of them killed someone, that's 1 in 50,000. When people say their pit bull would never hurt someone, 99.998% of them are right. I don't think I'd get a pit bull myself if I had small children, and especially not one from an animal shelter, but people take bigger risks with their kids all the time. Riding in a car is much more likely to kill your kid than a pit bull attack, but everyone is okay with that.

• 1Pathetic

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
In the context of the number of dogs there are, it's still pretty safe. According to Google, there are 18 million pit bulls in the US. If 33 of them killed someone, that's 1 in 50,000. When people say their pit bull would never hurt someone, 99.998% of them are right. I don't think I'd get a pit bull myself if I had small children, and especially not one from an animal shelter, but people take bigger risks with their kids all the time. Riding in a car is much more likely to kill your kid than a pit bull attack, but everyone is okay with that.
Riding in a car is more or less mandatory to function in modern society, owning a pit bull is not. Also not all dog bites are fatal. Tens of thousands of people a year get mauled so badly that they need reconstructive surgery.

• 2Like

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>

Antoninette-B.jpg

I had a half chow half german shepherd called Loki who DID look just like a lion. He was amazing and too smart for his own good. Keep getting free of the back yard. Once found him at an animal shelter five miles away a few days after one of his break-outs. They called him the Gate Crasher because they couldn't keep him locked up but he was so well-behaved they just quit trying.

He got out once and I never found him. I hope he found a good home.

Pic not him - he had a lot more white in his coat:

1665331277221.png

• 2Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Riding in a car is more or less mandatory to function in modern society, owning a pit bull is not. Also not all dog bites are fatal. Tens of thousands of people a year get mauled so badly that they need reconstructive surgery.
Not all car accidents are fatal either, although you make a good point about driving being more important. The point stands though, that the vast majority of pit bull owners are not going to have a problem.

• 1Pathetic