Pit bulls - The Breed of Peace

khalid

Unelected Mod
If my neighbour can keep a Great Dane in his yard, why can’t I keep a donkey? A sheep? A llama?

See, thats the problem with you. Stop fucking caring what someone is doing in their own fucking yard. If you want a donkey, more power to you.

As long as you take care of it and are cleaning up after it, go right ahead.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
See, thats the problem with you. Stop fucking caring what someone is doing in their own fucking yard. If you want a donkey, more power to you.

As long as you take care of it and are cleaning up after it, go right ahead.

Donkeys aren’t legal to own outside of rural areas. Dogs are. Why is there a distinction?

I do not care what people do in their own yard. As I am repeatedly demonstrating, I care what externalities their behaviours cause for the others in their community. This is what our whole legal system is based on. Your argument makes little sense.

Can you legally light a tire-fire 'in your own back yard'?

Siliconemelons

Note: I would punch, kick, shoot, maim and kill ANY dog or other animal attacking my family or self - not just pits. I am equal opportunity.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Donkeys aren’t legal to own outside of rural areas. Dogs are. Why is there a distinction?

I agree, there should not be a distinction. If someone wants to have a donkey in their own yard and it has enough room and is taken care of, it should be allowed. If you want another answer, it is because the species of humans and dogs have existed together for millenium. For centuries, dogs have been selectively bred to be companion animals. This is not as true for donkey's. If you went with something like elephants, well, could you actually take care of it well in an urban environment? No.

Your example of a Great Dane is especially stupid btw and shows your lack of knowledge on dog breeds. Great Danes are remarkably docile and are great dogs. They are not particularly active and are almost an ideal dog in an urban setting.

I do not care what people do in their own yard. As I am repeatedly demonstrating, I care what externalities their behaviours cause for the others in their community. This is what our whole legal system is based on. Your argument makes little sense.

Your externalities are silly and unpersuasive as has been demonstrated multiple times.

Quaid

Trump's Staff

Oh yeah they’re definitely less persuasive than your argument:

‘I like big dogs'.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Oh yeah they’re definitely less persuasive than your argument:

‘I like big dogs'.

My argument is that by default, people should be able to do what they want. In particular to this case, people should be able to have the type of companions they want, as long as they are taking care of them and their dogs are not attacking people. This is based on a deep history in the US of personal liberty and the long history of humans and companion animals over centuries and millenium.

So yes, I think it is quite a bit more persuasive than "I find dogs disgusting", followed by dressing it up with complaints that a dog woke you up at night one time and that you have to pay 0.001% of your taxes to animal control.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
My argument is that by default, people should be able to do what they want. In particular to this case, people should be able to have the type of companions they want, as long as they are taking care of them and their dogs are not attacking people. This is based on a deep history in the US of personal liberty and the long history of humans and companion animals over centuries and millenium.

So yes, I think it is quite a bit more persuasive than "I find dogs disgusting", followed by dressing it up with complaints that a dog woke you up at night one time and that you have to pay 0.001% of your taxes to animal control.

Brb gonna light a tire fire in my back yard. I’m monitoring it and I’m a good tire-fire owner and it’s on my property so fuck everybody else because freedom or something.

50. fucking. breeds.

Small Dogs Weighing Under 20 pounds

khalid

Unelected Mod
Brb gonna light a tire fire in my back yard. I’m monitoring it and I’m a good tire-fire owner and it’s on my property so fuck everybody else because freedom or something.

Sure, go ahead and do that and someone will call the cops. That has a large externality.

The solution isn't to ban fucking tires you dumb fuck.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Sure, go ahead and do that and someone will call the cops. That has a large externality.

The solution isn't to ban fucking tires you dumb fuck.

>Calls me dumb
>Makes a false equivilence

Tire ownership legality has specific conditions!

A tire when used on a car = good!
A tire when used as fuel for a fire = bad!

A 20lbs+ dog in the country = good!
A 20lbs+ dog in the city = bad!

Conditions! See how that works? Dumb fuck indeed.

khalid

Unelected Mod
>Calls me dumb
>Makes a false equivilency

Tire ownership legality has specific conditions!

A tire when used on a car = good!
A tire when used as fuel for a fire = bad!

A 20lbs+ dog in the country = good!
A 20lbs+ dog in the city = bad!

Conditions! See how that works? Dumb fuck indeed.

A dog when not doing anything to you is fine.
A dog barking like mad or attacking someone is a problem.

Your solution? Ban dogs.

A tire on a car, fine.
A tire burning is a problem.

Your solution? Ban tires.

You basically came up with the perfect analogy on why your solution is absurd. Good job on that I guess, too bad you are too dumb to see it.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
A dog when not doing anything to you is fine.
A dog barking like mad or attacking someone is a problem.

Your solution? Ban dogs.

A tire on a car, fine.
A tire burning is a problem.

Your solution? Ban tires.

You basically came up with the perfect analogy on why your solution is absurd. Good job on that I guess, too bad you are too dumb to see it.

Ah, another misrepresentation and continued ad homs! The tell-tale sign of a losing argument based on feels.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Ah, another misrepresentation and continued ad homs! The tell-tale sign of a losing argument based on feels.

Claiming I am misrepresenting you, after I take the very analogy you came up with and point out how silly it is. That is the tell-tale sign of you losing an argument because its based on your disgust of dogs and not rationality. I am laying out your case exactly using the analogy you came up with.

You want to ban dogs based on the externalities of bad dogs.

So in the case of not being allowed to burn a tire in your back yard, you surely would be interested in banning all tires and not simply fining the owner of said tire being misused.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Claiming I am misrepresenting you, after I take the very analogy you came up with and point out how silly it is. That is the tell-tale sign of you losing an argument because its based on your disgust of dogs and not rationality. I am laying out your case exactly using the analogy you came up with.

You want to ban dogs based on the externalities of bad dogs.

So in the case of not being allowed to burn a tire in your back yard, you surely would be interested in banning all tires and not simply fining the owner of said tire being misused.

Yes, you’ve just explained how you are misrepresenting my argument, but this time in more words. Neato.

My argument: I wish to ban large dog breeds in urban areas (or subject their owners to significant taxation or licensing fees) to mitigate the real world external costs their ownership (sanitation, police costs, health care, etc) imposes on other members of the community.

The analogy: I wish to ban the use of tires as a source of fuel for fires, to mitigate the real world external costs their burning imposes on members of the community.

I don’t wish to ban all dogs under all conditions, nor do I wish to ban all tires under all conditions.

khalid

Unelected Mod
I wish to ban large dog breeds in urban areas (or subject their owners to significant taxation or licensing fees) to mitigate the real world external costs their ownership (sanitation, police costs, health care, etc) imposes on other members of the community.

The analogy: I wish to ban the use of tires as a source of fuel for fires, to mitigate the real world external costs their burning imposes on members of the community.

These two things do not match. You go from wishing to ban large dogs in urban areas due to externalities of bad dogs, to wanting to ban the use of tires in urban areasas a fuel source for fires due to externalities of the bad use of tires. IE: Just for existing in an urban area, large dogs should be banned, but then you change it for tires.

They do match though, if I say you want to ban tires from being allowed in urban areas because they might be used badly. Which is why I think it matches exactly your analogy, which btw you brought into this. I know that admitting you are wrong on the internet is tough, but come on. It was a horrible analogy. Best just move on at this point.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
These two things do not match. You go from wishing to ban large dogs in urban areas due to externalities of bad dogs, to wanting to ban the use of tires in urban areasas a fuel source for fires due to externalities of the bad use of tires. IE: Just for existing in an urban area, large dogs should be banned, but then you change it for tires.

They do match though, if I say you want to ban tires from being allowed in urban areas because they might be used badly. Which is why I think it matches exactly your analogy, which btw you brought into this. I know that admitting you are wrong on the internet is tough, but come on. It was a horrible analogy. Best just move on at this point.

Correct! Just by existing IN URBAN AREAS large dogs cause negative externalities, even if they have a 'good' owner.

Tires also have negative externalities just by existing WHILE BEING USED AS FUEL.

Conditions!

I’m bored now.

Volto!

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have a golden retriever. He weighs 75 pounds. He’s considered a large breed. He literally never barks, he greets everyone and everything he meets warmly, and I pick up all his poop when taking him on walks. What’s the problem here? Your issue is with shitty dog owners more than the dog itself it sounds like. You don’t like shitty people. But who does?

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

khalid

Unelected Mod
Correct! Just by existing IN URBAN AREAS large dogs cause negative externalities, even if they have a 'good' owner.

No they do not. That is deeply disingenious to claim that, after coming up with a list that had nothing to do with good dogs and owners.

How dangerous they are is only one factor. There’s all kinds of other externalities your neighbours bear because you (not necessarily YOU) own a large animal in an urban setting. From noise pollution to actual pollution in the form of uncollected feces, large dogs have no place in non-rural environments.

Part of my property taxes goes to paying to keep unwanted large animals in cages, and euthanize others. This is unacceptable. It’s a ridiculous cost we take on as a society because some people insist on having mans-best-friend feels.

My dog does not create noise pollution simply for existing. I collect his feces. He doesn't attack anyone. His existence doesn't mean the county has to pay for other dogs to exist in cages. If he needs to be euthanized because he is sick, I will pay for it.

This is true for all good dog owners. So why must he be banned exactly? Just because you find large dogs disgusting does not mean we need a law. Legislation should not be made so you have a safe space against the very existence of large dogs.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I hope some Mexicans move in next door to you with a rooster so you can get some perspective you whiny fuck.

haha so ironic. I'm actually dealing with this RIGHT NOW. The neighbor across the alley behind me, who owns a tear-down junkyard home and at least has at least 5 messican residents, have TWO fucking roosters that wake up everybody within 1000ft at 4:30AM.

I went over with another neighbor and they basically told us to fuck off in broken Spanish. We're now waiting on 311 to fucking do something.

I didn't know Mexicans owning Roosters was a thing. Why the fuck would you want to own a Rooster??