Pittsburgh, PA

nate_sl

shitlord
I've lived in Pittsburgh and currently live in Cincinnati. They're basically the same place, but Cincinnati has a more intelligent populace as it was founded by Germans, where as Pittsburgh, as previously said, was founded by Pollocks. The chicks in Pittsburgh generally put out quicker however.

ValkyrieIATD

Silver Knight of the Realm
The only time I've ever been in Pittsburgh, I was blown away by howquiet and emptyit was. It was about 3PM on a Sunday in mid-April, and there was almost nobody on the streets. I had to walk three blocks before I saw another person.

Is that normal or did I just catch a weird day?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Go to the stripside of town during the day and there will be droves of yinzers all about.

I did notice that after 8pm the downtown was pretty dead. I notice that most places I travel are like that. Michigan generally isn't for whatever reason.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Having difficulty finding parking shouldn't be a surprise in any decently sized city. It's probably the most redundant thing to complain about in a city next to crime.
You're telling this to a guy from Midwestville, USA. Every business should be surrounded by a sea of parking lots, man. Anything less is poor urban design.
Also screw the both of you. The biggest place for parking in Pittsburgh is literally a big patch of dirt like it's the country fair. It's not hard to find but it is hilarious.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
There's a couple parking garages around that you can park in for the day for like 10 bucks. Not too bad. But yeah, find what you can get. Whenever I go down town I usually park in like a shop n save and walk around.

Tortfeasor

Molten Core Raider
Big oil company just flew me into Pittsburgh for an interview, so there's a chance I'll be moving there. Suggestions on best place to live, raise small children, etc?

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's like any other city in that you'll get more space the further out from the city proper you go.

Highland Park would be a good place to look in to initially. Decent prices and tons of great old homes. It's pretty sprawling so just make sure you are looking at the nicer areas towards the river/Morningside area and away from the East Liberty/Larimer ends, though even that side isn't all bad.

Stanton Heights is similar to Highland Park, though not as nice. Stay away from the Garfield part in general, though it's pretty well separated by geography.

Morningside is in between those two, geographically and in most respects really. Where I grew up and my parents live. It's a very nice little neighborhood. 2 decent sized parks, minimal traffic. Very little commercial stuff. Convenience store, neighborhood grocery, other small scale commercial stuff. Nice pub(Bulldog's) just opened there last year. It's almost all houses rather than apartments(duplex style rather than dedicated apartment buildings) and you'll generally get a lot for your money.

Lawrenceville is in the middle of getting gentrified/hipsterized as fuck. It's getting nicer and nicer yearly, might be worth looking in to if you can find a nice place on the non-river side up by the hospital. The whole area there where it runs up in to Bloomfield isn't bad, though it's pretty tight so I wouldn't say it's great for kids. More apartments and less neighborhoody/residential than the previously mentioned neighborhoods.

Shadyside has some great areas as well. Or if you are more richerer Squirrel Hill. Both are pretty centrally located. Parts of them you'll be bumping up against Oakland though. Which isn't bad, but you'll be closer to all the college kids and that can get obnoxious.

Garfield/Hill District/Homewood/Larimer are the hood, stay the fuck away. Polish Hill too generally.

Neighborhood map. I've only covered the more central residential neighborhoods. Sutekh might have more insight in to the other places. Pretty sure he spends more time outside the rivers than me, and he certainly spends more time out and about than I do.

Vinen

God is dead
Big oil company just flew me into Pittsburgh for an interview, so there's a chance I'll be moving there. Suggestions on best place to live, raise small children, etc?
Pittsburgh is a terrible past its prime city with shitty education.

Source: Aunt is a School Teacher in the area

Tortfeasor

Molten Core Raider
It's like any other city in that you'll get more space the further out from the city proper you go.

Highland Park would be a good place to look in to initially. Decent prices and tons of great old homes. It's pretty sprawling so just make sure you are looking at the nicer areas towards the river/Morningside area and away from the East Liberty/Larimer ends, though even that side isn't all bad.

Stanton Heights is similar to Highland Park, though not as nice. Stay away from the Garfield part in general, though it's pretty well separated by geography.

Morningside is in between those two, geographically and in most respects really. Where I grew up and my parents live. It's a very nice little neighborhood. 2 decent sized parks, minimal traffic. Very little commercial stuff. Convenience store, neighborhood grocery, other small scale commercial stuff. Nice pub(Bulldog's) just opened there last year. It's almost all houses rather than apartments(duplex style rather than dedicated apartment buildings) and you'll generally get a lot for your money.

Lawrenceville is in the middle of getting gentrified/hipsterized as fuck. It's getting nicer and nicer yearly, might be worth looking in to if you can find a nice place on the non-river side up by the hospital. The whole area there where it runs up in to Bloomfield isn't bad, though it's pretty tight so I wouldn't say it's great for kids. More apartments and less neighborhoody/residential than the previously mentioned neighborhoods.

Shadyside has some great areas as well. Or if you are more richerer Squirrel Hill. Both are pretty centrally located. Parts of them you'll be bumping up against Oakland though. Which isn't bad, but you'll be closer to all the college kids and that can get obnoxious.

Garfield/Hill District/Homewood/Larimer are the hood, stay the fuck away. Polish Hill too generally.

Neighborhood map. I've only covered the more central residential neighborhoods. Sutekh might have more insight in to the other places. Pretty sure he spends more time outside the rivers than me, and he certainly spends more time out and about than I do.
Awesome, thank you.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Pittsburgh is a terrible past its prime city with shitty education.

Source: Aunt is a School Teacher in the area
As much as I'd like to agree with you, I'm pretty sure this is wrong. Steel production may not be what it used to be, but there's still a shitload of financial and technology companies/campuses based there. No idea about the education but it's not a city past its prime.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
I live in East Liberty, which was pretty shitty until a few years ago, but now is developing nicely. It's where the one Whole Foods in Pittsburgh is, and Google set up shop there as well. They're finishing construction on a residential building next to Google's offices with a small park and private indoor & outdoor pool, which is pretty spectacular as far as amenities in Pittsburgh go. Depending on the age of your kid, a small pool might be nice to have. I don't think it's a full size pool, however, and it's a low-rise building... shame, or I'd have moved there in an instant.

As for Shadyside vs. Squirrel Hill: I think the former is a wealthier neighborhood, with Highland Park being the wealthiest -- at least parts of it.

Pittsburgh has a number of universities, with Carnegie Mellon ranking as one of the country's top universities and the University of Pittsburgh also doing reasonably well, I think. So hence the education/research sector. Medical research is big, as is stuff like computer animation (Disney/Pixar have offices here).

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I live in East Liberty, which was pretty shitty until a few years ago, but now is developing nicely.
Yeah it's getting a lot of new money over the last couple years, and they tore down those shithole apartment buildings right in the middle. Friend of my brother has opened a couple higher end restaurants in the area in the last couple years(Salt of the Earth and Union Pig & Chicken). You still don't want to live near the Garfield/Larimer parts though in general. Shadyside/Highland Park ends though are probably great bang for your buck.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
You can be my neighbor, I live near Monroeville. However the government requires me to tell you that I at some point in my life, I have committed and illegal sexual act against a minor.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
went to altius and had the 3 course 60 dollar cheeseburger meal with papas fritas.