Plane Crashes at San Francisco Airport

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I don't know that you can.
I suppose I see being a "hero" an as innate trait, that not all people have, while many people can do heroic things. For instance, a fireman who rushes into a very dangerous burning building and saves 3 kids from certain death - you'd say he's a hero! Would it change your mind to know that same fireman intentionally set the fire in the first place? A soldier braves withering enemy fire to save a wounded comrade - hero! But what do you call him once you find out he's also responsible for raping 2 female soldiers?

Look, no one is perfect - you'll find flaws with anyone called a "hero". But there are flaws, and there are outright scummy, monstrous qualities.

------------------

There were 20 Medals of Honor given to soldiers at Wounded Knee - the same "battle" in which fleeing unarmed women (some holding infants) and children were run down and shot in the back. I certainly think there's room to disagree on who and what heroes are.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I'm a hero for actually reading through this entire retarded derail. Where the fuck is my medal.

With only 2 deaths I feel like this shouldn't be as big a story as it is. I'd rather see more coverage of that train that exploded in Canada.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
There were 20 Medals of Honor given to soldiers at Wounded Knee - the same "battle" in which fleeing unarmed women (some holding infants) and children were run down and shot in the back. I certainly think there's room to disagree on who and what heroes are.
That's a terribly flawed argument. The Medal of Honor during the 19th century was the only military decoration around. It's not the same criteria that we think of in the last century. Really, anything pre-WWII, you're not talking about the same Medal of Honor.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Wow really, not sure if serious...
Wikipedia_sl said:
1800s: Several months after President Abraham Lincoln signed Public Resolution 82 into law on December 21, 1861 for a Navy medal of honor, a similar resolution was passed in July 1862 for an Army version of the medal. Six Union Army soldiers who hijacked a Confederate locomotive named the General in 1862, were the first Medal of Honor recipients; James J. Andrews, a civilian, led the raid. He was caught and hanged as a Union spy, but was not awarded the medal. Many Medals of Honor awarded in the 19th century were associated with, "saving the flag" (and country), not just for patriotic reasons, but because the U.S. flag was a primary means of battlefield communication at the time.Because no other military decoration was authorized during the Civil War, some seemingly less exceptional and notable actions were recognized by a Medal of Honor during that conflict.

World War II: Starting in 1942, the Medal would only be awarded for action in combat, although the Navy version of the Medal of Honor technically allowed non-combat awards until 1963. Official accounts vary, but generally, the Medal of Honor for combat was known as the "Tiffany Cross", after the company that designed the medal. The Tiffany Cross was first awarded in 1919, but was unpopular partly because of its design. The Tiffany Cross Medal of Honor was awarded at least three times for non-combat. By a special authorized Act of Congress, the medal was presented to Byrd and Bennett (see above). In 1942, the United States Navy reverted to a single Medal of Honor, although the statute still contained a loophole allowing the award for both "action involving actual conflict with the enemy" or "in the line of his profession." Arising from these criteria, approximately 60 percent of the medals earned during and after World War II have been awarded posthumously.

Public Law 88-77, July 25, 1963: The requirements for the Medal of Honor were standardized among all the services, requiring that a recipient had "distinguished himself conspicuously by gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty." Thus, the act removed the loophole allowing non-combat awards to Navy personnel. The act also clarified that the act of valor must occur during one of three circumstances:
While engaged in action against an enemy of the United States
While engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing foreign force.
While serving with friendly foreign forces engaged in an armed conflict against an opposing armed force in which the United States is not a belligerent party.
Once upon a time the medal of honor didn't really mean a damn thing.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I think maybe you can. You may not agree with this example, but it'll give you an idea of what I mean.

You take good old Rudy Jew-liani on Sept 11 and the 2 weeks following. The way he managed to rise to his station (i.e. do his fucking job), co-ordinate efforts, and restore public confidence was IMHO (and plenty will disagree) a heroic effort. Not all men in his position would have risen to the station, or the situation. Shit could have been way, way worse. No riots broke out, no looting, no breakdown of civil authority -- which could have happened.

Is good old Rudy a hero? God no. But his actions for those weeks I would class as heroic in nature.

It's not specific to him. There are other examples that could be used of an otherwise non-heroic man doing heroic things. And then there are examples of straight up heroic men, like take Dr. King and the lawyers which supported him.
Guilliani is the hero NYC deserves.

To me it's just like all the RPGs we've played. We can roll through the Barrens and be acclaimed as a hero by all the NPCs and noobs there, but once we're strolling through Redridge smashing those fools we're no hero. I don't know that I'd say running a city well is heroic, but if guilliani happened to grab someone out of a bunch of rubble at the last moment then yeah, he's a fuckin' hero.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So I guess my sarcasm wasn't dripping enough... YES GAV I'M AWARE. THE FACT HE DEFACTO IMPLIES SOME OTHER MEDAL WOULD HAVE BEEN MORE APPROPRIATE IS WHERE MY "NOT SURE IF SERIOUS" COMES INTO PLAY.

Fuck you're a retard. I mean, a true downy bro.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
I think maybe you can. You may not agree with this example, but it'll give you an idea of what I mean.

You take good old Rudy Jew-liani on Sept 11 and the 2 weeks following. The way he managed to rise to his station (i.e. do his fucking job), co-ordinate efforts, and restore public confidence was IMHO (and plenty will disagree) a heroic effort. Not all men in his position would have risen to the station, or the situation. Shit could have been way, way worse. No riots broke out, no looting, no breakdown of civil authority -- which could have happened.

Is good old Rudy a hero? God no. But his actions for those weeks I would class as heroic in nature.

It's not specific to him. There are other examples that could be used of an otherwise non-heroic man doing heroic things. And then there are examples of straight up heroic men, like take Dr. King and the lawyers which supported him.
Did Giuliani put himself in harm's way? Did he take any risks? I don't think effectively running a city after a disaster is particularly heroic.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
So I guess my sarcasm wasn't dripping enough... YES GAV I'M AWARE. THE FACT HE DEFACTO IMPLIES SOME OTHER MEDAL WOULD HAVE BEEN MORE APPROPRIATE IS WHERE MY "NOT SURE IF SERIOUS" COMES INTO PLAY.

Fuck you're a retard. I mean, a true downy bro.
Given the way you normally post, I couldn't really tell.

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
rrr_img_35124.jpg

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
This motherfucker right here knows what a hero is!

(Although according to the show, a hero is someone that passes up free money apparently, but I digress!)

Eorkern

Bronze Squire
Yeah I was about to post that, the third is pretty obvious to me but a fellow bro could tell me what the other references are ?

Darshu_sl

shitlord
I honestly can't believe someone at the station didn't realize they got trolled by the intern that confirmed the names. Thats really hard for me to swallow.