Planetside 2

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
edited my post, 4x exp was only part of Friday apparently. Which I was at work for like everyone else QQ

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
edited my post, 4x exp was only part of Friday apparently. Which I was at work for like everyone else QQ

Lol wtf?

It needs to be perma 4x or allow server xfer. I’ve got dudes from Connery that need to get off that server.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

RobXIII

<Gold Donor>
4x exp time again.

I'm playing on NS faction. And much like rerolling on the 10th EQ TLE server, I have no idea why I'm beating myself up.

No max, no ESF, passives rarely work (engy aircraft nanite repair, medic triage in vehicles), extremely limited weapon selection, hell even base launchpads don't work! And they're sub only (I'm subbed for EQ)

The electronic equivalent of whipping yourself to cleanse sin I suppose.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
4x exp time again.

I'm playing on NS faction. And much like rerolling on the 10th EQ TLE server, I have no idea why I'm beating myself up.

No max, no ESF, passives rarely work (engy aircraft nanite repair, medic triage in vehicles), extremely limited weapon selection, hell even base launchpads don't work! And they're sub only (I'm subbed for EQ)

The electronic equivalent of whipping yourself to cleanse sin I suppose.

I was enjoying myself up until about two weeks ago when hit reg go super fucky. I would lay into a player from behind with 4-6 headshot markers and die instantly to them when they turned around. It was quite rage inducing.

RobXIII

<Gold Donor>
I was enjoying myself up until about two weeks ago when hit reg go super fucky. I would lay into a player from behind with 4-6 headshot markers and die instantly to them when they turned around. It was quite rage inducing.

I don't rage often in this game, but getting the drop on someone just to have them magically warp 180 and 100% headshot me with no misses does it.

We had a fun few weeks after DX11 patch where the hackers were MIA, but there's definitely some around now (yes I know, not everyone who does that maneuver hacks, but you can tell by the instant snap)

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Man planetside 2 was good shit, good idea. I just wish a REAL studio would take this idea and run with it. Imo the shooting in this game always felt janky. Net code, the programming? Whatever, it always sucked.

• 1Like

Serwol

Vyemm Raider
It became rather a shell of what it once was but that is mostly because Daybreak has, instead of making improvements, milked it dry and is mostly just propping up a P2W corpse of a game.

Hekotat

I've been logging on the last few days and it's just a 2v1 ass ramming every time I play. There are so many things they could have done to make this game desirable to play, sure it would have taken resources but it could have been done. Just some ideas on how they could improve the next one.

Construction system

The addition was a good idea, but the implementation was a huge fuck-up. Instead of allowing people to build anywhere they want out of harm's reach they should have done the following.

1. Allow building in any configuration between each main base on a designated path. The initial plot could have been placed on the line/path and then extended in anyway desired in all directions.
2. Cap points every so many feet that counted towards win scenarios.
3. When on the attacking side, spawn points were restricted to longer distances vs the defending side. Defending and attacking sides would be determined by whom owned the hex.

This would have kept battles flowing which is sorely needed on Indar. The battles are almost a stalemate in the same positions due to the distances and elevations between the hubs. This would have improved the ebb n flow of battle. This would also keep battles more interesting due to how varying each map would be depending on how it was constructed.

With the lessened spawn pointsfor the attacking side it would encourage the addition of sundies and demolition of the built up bases in order to strategically place them.

This would also lessen the need for the redeployside annoying shit and they could put it on a long cooldown. There is currently no penalty for leaving hexes undefended.

Vehicles

1. Remove the ability to drive within facilities and bases. upon crossing the designated no vehicle plane, instant detonation.
2. Sundies can no longer be spawned near cap points for defenders.
3. Harassers - Something has to be done about these things, they are just too annoying and very difficult to blow up. It is the ultimate troll vehicle and caused many of rage quits.

Defenders should always be at a slight advantage at each base, being able to park defensive sundies within shield caps or bases turns games into turtles. You can state "tactics" but this is just a cheesy advantage. There should be consequences to not defending your base.

Overpop penalty system

A tier system that would make teamwork, communication and resource protection important. At each tier the faction loses all abilities listed up to that tier.

Tier 1 15% overpop - The Faction with this overpop percentage will only have half of their shield capacity.
Tier 2 25% overpop - The Faction with this overpop percentage can only carry half of their ammo capacity and no access to grenades.
Tier 3 35% overpop - The Faction with this overpop percentage can no longer repair or revive teammates. Shelling spawn rooms now detonates vehicles instantly.
Tier 4 45% overpop - The Faction with this overpop percentage only has access to primary weapons, no shields or abilities, maxes and vehicles are reduced to half health and move at half speed.
Tier 5 50% overpop - The Faction with this overpop Maxes and vehicles lose access to weapons and abilities.

This would greatly reduce the overpop fiasco, you would need some type of warning and pop-up system to let people know when they are about to cross a threshold. There has to be consequences for attempting to roll over hexes.

Power distribution system

Designate sundies or some other type of vehicle as a power generator unit. Maybe even make it something that can be constructed by an Engineer. These would be required to run Max units and vehicles within the HEX. The more vehicles and maxes in the hex, the more power generators you need (Think power plants in Red Alert).

If the power falls below the required threshold for the number of units in the zone, said units become slower, fire slower, etc. If the threshold falls too low then all units lose power and cannot move or fire. Obviously be a heads up display in the UI showing the current number of units in the hex and a max allowed.

I think this would fall in line nicely with the suggested construction system mentioned above. You could build your generators within a building, and use the sundy variants to assault bases.

Infiltrators would be able to hack said generators to flip battles on their head.

There was a lot of cool missed opportunities that could have made this game even better, and adding these systems would have kept the population more spread out and kept people from needing super-computers back in the early days. Which would have probably kept the game at a higher population.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Hekotat

I forgot to mention 2v1

In 2v1 situations where two sides are ganging up on one, they need to add an attrition type system.

1. If two factions do not have any conflict both sides start losing hexes to a neutral state, this effect would need to be somewhat fast acting and at Double Speed during territory battles.
2. make it where hex grabs take 3 or 4 times as long if getting tag teamed.
3. Possibly add the ability for an alliance for the two lowest pops.

I think this would need a lot of tuning, but the first time you see one faction lose 4 or 5 hexes each, immediately you'd see them scrambling to gain ground back.

Last edited:

RobXIII

<Gold Donor>
Rumors are that they're down to 2-3 people for PS2 now.

I think it's just 2 now. I don't think the servers will shut down in the next 6 months or so, but I'll definitely play a bit more, it's still one of the best FPSs out there when the fights are really active and competitive. I don't mind the 2v1 shit, as long as the fights are good. Those 200+ people shooting at a spawn room of 20 fights are no bueno.

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
I still have no idea why DBG invested to make PSA, They already have H1Z1 in that same genre. DBG made zero game after Columbus Nova took over in 2015. PSA is basically 90% PS2.

It is such a shame to see both EverQuest and Planeside fading away. These two are my all time favorite gaming IP. I sank thousands of hours into both.