Planetside 2

Excidium

Trakanon Raider
At 100m it should be fine, a good tradeoff if it improves performance. Unless you're running some weird 4 monitor super resolution you probably can't see many details at that distance anyway.

I'm excited for the changes, and have been banking certs for...something. Maybe the Max flamethrowers if they ever release those.
Distinction is important in fps games. Team Fortress emphasized class model's silhouette so players could quickly asset the situation. Planetside 2's biggest problem is every class looks the same, with guns that all sound alike. Trying to figure what class somebody is will get a whole lot more interesting considering almost every class can counter anything.

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Part of me is happy with that, since they SHOULD be dark.

But the part of me that cares about gameplay wonders about this decision, with all the nerfing to NV scopes, and the disparity of colors/glowy bits between the body armors of the factions (hi2u ninja Vanu, who's tiny number of tiny glowy bits don't actually glow that much....)

Excidium

Trakanon Raider
Looks like dark nights are making a comeback!

Yet another 180 done by the developers on a game that has been released almost a year now. Such a bad game all around when you look deeply at the gameplay. Id give anything to experience those infantry battles at launch though.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yet another 180 done by the developers on a game that has been released almost a year now. Such a bad game all around when you look deeply at the gameplay. Id give anything to experience those infantry battles at launch though.
they were great and honestly this is about all you got unless you play CS, lol @ BF4, or MLG pro Black OPs.

Helldiver

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Probably no one shares these sentiments;

I have no idea why they have MBTs. I see no purpose for them anymore. The only reason they have them is to appease diehards like me who want to run around and say"Hey looky me I got a cool tank". The maps themselves have been designed to be anti-tank. No modern military in their right mind would deploy tanks in such environments. It's arguable whether or not northern Indar is tank friendly, but doubtful. From the get-go PS2 has been anti-tank.

So they increased their resource cost and respawn time? Seriously? The thing dies in just a few hits to pretty much -everything- in the game; and that was before harassers came into the scene. There is nothing I can do in a tank that I can't do in a harasser. Faster, cheaper, much more maneuverable, lower profile, and smaller hit boxes. Alright so you need a gunner, but really? Don't even get me started on flashes with rocket launchers, Heavy Inf, and pretty much anything else that can easily take it out. All for what? a 450 mineral, terribly maneuverable, highly vulnerable, and low visibility to the driver/high visibility to attacker ground vehicle? Oh, which requires connections to the facility to be able to spawn them, although that's not really an issue. So aside from cool factor, why have these things?

That's just it; Planetside 2 has gone in a direction that doesn't feel very epic in scale to me. The constant whining by infantry players and the anti-tank crowd has turned the game into quake with vehicles. However this sort of mentality has spread throughout the rest of the game; Grab what ever weapon is best and go. Battles so far are hodge-podge of random equipment. Except for a rare few instances when a clan get's their shit together, it's all one big chaotic mess of what ever anyone feels like pulling. The players are at fault a bit, but the devs are to blame for the mess.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Thanks to instant swap seats you don't even need a gunner for your harasser for halberd sniping or marauder bombing. I dont bother with a halberd as my AV turret does more damage, but with my marauder harasser I can safely plug away at infantry while eating a few rockets. Radar shows a LA sneaking up on me? Instantly switch and drive away, cap em when they land!

I agree harassers are cheap, but MBTs are still somewhat viable, you just have to play stupidly defensive. I used to think my AV turret was abusive, which it is when I'm 500m+ away and sniping with immunity, but lately I've been blowing tanks up super quick with the TR max+fractures+max lockdown. I'm a sitting duck, but the DPS against armor is just crazy. Just for giggles, I snuck up on a lightning from behind, anchored and killed it in under 2 seconds.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
Anyone have a clue to the release date on this for the PS4? I logged back into the game the other day and it was fun... but I know Im getting it on the PS4 so I can play from the couch so it felt pretty pointless to start "grinding".

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Probably no one shares these sentiments;

I have no idea why they have MBTs. I see no purpose for them anymore. The only reason they have them is to appease diehards like me who want to run around and say"Hey looky me I got a cool tank". The maps themselves have been designed to be anti-tank. No modern military in their right mind would deploy tanks in such environments. It's arguable whether or not northern Indar is tank friendly, but doubtful. From the get-go PS2 has been anti-tank.

So they increased their resource cost and respawn time? Seriously? The thing dies in just a few hits to pretty much -everything- in the game; and that was before harassers came into the scene. There is nothing I can do in a tank that I can't do in a harasser. Faster, cheaper, much more maneuverable, lower profile, and smaller hit boxes. Alright so you need a gunner, but really? Don't even get me started on flashes with rocket launchers, Heavy Inf, and pretty much anything else that can easily take it out. All for what? a 450 mineral, terribly maneuverable, highly vulnerable, and low visibility to the driver/high visibility to attacker ground vehicle? Oh, which requires connections to the facility to be able to spawn them, although that's not really an issue. So aside from cool factor, why have these things?

That's just it; Planetside 2 has gone in a direction that doesn't feel very epic in scale to me. The constant whining by infantry players and the anti-tank crowd has turned the game into quake with vehicles. However this sort of mentality has spread throughout the rest of the game; Grab what ever weapon is best and go. Battles so far are hodge-podge of random equipment. Except for a rare few instances when a clan get's their shit together, it's all one big chaotic mess of what ever anyone feels like pulling. The players are at fault a bit, but the devs are to blame for the mess.
The only 3 things I can think of using tanks for are pushes, counter-pushes, and containment(spawn camping towers and vehicle gates). It doesn't help that every base is being walled off; vehicles are one of the very few things that will let a numerically outmatched force take a point from greater numbers.

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
While parts of me agree with you, the other parts who get spawn room camped by them over and over and over again as their force multiplier-ness compounds an already winning momentum of having more bodies in general, are ok with it. I know, silly me, for not getting out of the way of the zerg. That continues to be the top "smart play" that would end up actually killing the game if everyone followed it. (If 100% of the players melted away from the zerg, we'd have nothing but ghost capping by all 3 factions any time the pop numbers deviated even slightly from even.)

Unfortunately, there's no real way for the game to tell a player "sorry, there's already 15 tanks there fighting 20 inf in that fight, you can't have one", nor would that player be all that pleased. Add in lattice every-fucking-thing and there would be times when that player could not bring a tank to ANY fight, as they're all... eh... tank pop-capped.

I'm beginning to wonder what impact letting rockets fly OUT of spawn room shields would have. Sure the massed vehicles would just camp the next chokepoint area, but then you could design bases with a more open design and not so many anti-vehicle walls.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I think Helldiver needs to cry more. I see tanks camping damn near entire bases from hillsides and shit sometimes. Similarly, some of my best kill streaks (such as they are for a terrible player like myself) came from sitting in my MBT. Mind you I'm VS so I run in the Magrider. I would never use a MBT if I had to use a "real" tank like the other two sides have.

Every troop type bitches its underpowered compared to the others, so I really don't take any of it seriously. For instance, I think ESF's should all go diaf. I want a one-shot kill launcher that auto-detects them in range and auto kills the bastards. Fuck them.

Remmy

Golden Knight of the Realm
Tanks are fine. And they are NOT easy to kill. Killing them reliably and quickly by infantry takes a dedicated squad working with voice chat that can coordinate a strong alpha strike before the tanks go behind cover and heal up. My friends run a 4 man squad that consists of 1 engi, 2 "support" with lock on rockets, and 1 max with guided AV rockets. Only when working well together, and taking advantage of rotating squad deploy and beacons can we keep enemy armor at bay.

Keep in mind we are using 5 weapons bought with money that aren't available to the average Planetside character.

Excidium

Trakanon Raider
they were great and honestly this is about all you got unless you play CS, lol @ BF4, or MLG pro Black OPs.
I quit two days ago buddy. I was having EQ deja vu all over again. I'm done playing a game that feels like those coming out of the late 90's. Their inaction is only going to continue. I got scammed out of the most I have ever paid for a game that has some of the worst support by its developers I have ever seen. They had a chance to make a great game and they SoE'ed it up. By the way, EQN is going to follow the same path as this game did.

And before anybody says Im salty. I am. This optimization patch will never be fully complete. This is the third major revision to Indar since this game launched. Esamir is still empty and I can't remember the last time I saw a good fight on Amerish.

I watched a video of this game around xmas last year and I couldn't believe how many infantry were assaulting a base. The big reason this game is running better is because the populations have dropped off. I'm not playing a buggy imbalanced game which preaches numbers as the holy grail, but can't deliver a battle bigger than a 64 player Battlefield server. Hell Battlefield maps tend to have more action and feel larger than what PS2 has become.

Carl_sl

shitlord
Not sure why you hate on BF4 unless its simply that there isn't nearly as much going compared to a big battle in PS2 but then you mention CS...

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Not sure why you hate on BF4 unless its simply that there isn't nearly as much going compared to a big battle in PS2 but then you mention CS...
may pick it up but I was not that impressed with it. To be fair I hated the BF3 beta too but played the shit outta BF3 live.

Yeah I mentioned CS as in what other options? TF2? As in have fun with that for a FPS option.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Keep in mind we are using 5 weapons bought with money that aren't available to the average Planetside character.
Wow did they go full retard and added weapons you can only buy with station cash? I am not really up to date with the game since like May because I was playing other stuff but kept it earmarked in case the FPS itch comes back. Weapons you cannot obtain without buying station cash would make me forget about that idea.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Wow did they go full retard and added weapons you can only buy with station cash? I am not really up to date with the game since like May because I was playing other stuff but kept it earmarked in case the FPS itch comes back. Weapons you cannot obtain without buying station cash would make me forget about that idea.
Of course not. Every weapon can be bought with certs unless your're that guy who spent $20 on a golden commissar instead of the 1000 cert white one.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
, but can't deliver a battle bigger than a 64 player Battlefield server. Hell Battlefield maps tend to have more action and feel larger than what PS2 has become.
Has the game gotten worse or something? I haven't played in a few months but I had only really had issues when it turned into huge 500+ people three way fights, but regularly did fights with 100ish -150ish on both sides or sometimes even a 3rd without a problem. And then the only issues were culling and I'm running a 1st gen i7 and 5850.