PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Looks like they are going to make the classic "must push into e-sports" mentality that could kill their game.

They should be focusing on content, bugs, performance, maps, etc. Get all that hammered out and THEN start pushing your perfect game to be something more.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

gauze

Molten Core Raider
Isn't that at its core why you push e-sport mantra? bug fixing, performance, and maps?

It's not a game that is heavily reliant on balancing? Sure they fixed the zone a little, but i've notice less zone deathing towards the final 10. They're not going to push for Arena's and team buy-outs, i'd genuinely be surprised if they could manage that.

They've been doing a bit, to be fair? Granted, I'm more easy going and seem to not have many issues that can't be fixed client side ie my vaulting problems earlier which I swapped to command vaulting and it's been non-existent. Avoid things that don't actively work properly, ie parachuting around small balconies and such.

They're working through latency problems that is a bit of an issue esp with the whole chinese. Easier to match based off ping than chastise. They're working on cheating, which in terms of "what kind of cheat" I think this has been the most i've seen regarding a variety of cheats from teleporting, speedhacking, different aimbots, being invisible. List probably goes on beyond that, but its quite a bit from your usual "aimbot" and "esp"

Regardless the word is competitive game, which doesn't entail esports immediately. It's, at least how I view it, an attack on other battleground games like fortnite h1z1 or ark and all the games to come after. It's not going to rely on gimmicks in game play and focus on the challenge in a player vs player enviorment. Other games like hunt and ftw already taking about pve.

Last edited:

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
BR type games are just no Esport friendly. They all suck at it. The casters have nothing to talk about so spew awful shit. The game is horrendous to watch from a viewer perspective. You can't get enough information, you can't follow things. The spectator is all over the fucking place. You can't watch everything, so you just miss everything. It's only watchable in the streamer tournaments where you can literally watch any perspective you want, and see the overall feed to get an idea of what the whole picture looks like, AND EVEN THEN it's still only watchable because of the personalities.

This shit will never succeed as an ESport as designed without a massive change in how the viewer perspective works.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
FPS and shooters in general are terrible for esports spectating. They're popular on Twitch because you're locked into one perspective / narrative the whole time. Overwatch is hella simpler to spectate than PUBG and it's still painful to make spectator friendly.

• 1Solidarity

gauze

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, I don't doubt its a terrible E-Sport in the grand scheme. I've always found it more to be along to the lines of a celebrity death match than anything else, like watching your favorite streamer going against people that aren't just streamsnipers. It won't survive in a league of its own, but won't change it from being a convention favorite(pax, gamescon, iem, dreamhack) simply because it can supports a drop in community against professional players with a 100 player requirement and no solidified ladder system. Most leagues don't even support 25 teams in general.

Idk about FPS's and shooters in general being a terrible esport spectator. I've always found Counter-Strike being one of the best, it has more appeal to masses w/o having solidified knowledge of the game. 15+ rounds of roughly the same attack/defend with obvious strategic play and display of skill. I've always found MoBA's to be rather niche, not that they're bad or anything but w/ a severe lack of knowledge a lot of times it can just look like a giant mess and is very much up to the announcers to hold the viewers hand. OW suffered from that a bit, until they decided to add colored team which helped alleviated some of the viewership issues. Moba also has really awkward stages, that PuBG would have. The phases, granted probably more action in PuBG but probably more intensity buildup from something like MoBAs.

FPS, atleast CS, is Basketball to the regular sport fan, as MoBA is to Soccer.. BR/Pubg.. is somewhere in there with golf.

Last edited:

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
So I'm going to take the opposite stance and say that BR games can be a great eSport... better than OW & other FPS games if done right.

1.) I find BR games much more enjoyable to watch on Twitch than any other FPS game. I basically never watch OW/CSGO but I've had countless hours watching H1Z1 / PUBG / FortNite --- And I don't even play these games (FortNite a little early on). I play tons of OW and hate watching it.

2.) You can write narratives and follow the story MUCH EASIER in BR games than FPS games.

3.) Overview map / Circles give points of interest and allow spectator to easily know what a player should be trying to do. It's easier to follow.

4.) Less to keep track of. Battles are simplified and easy to follow.

5.) Can easily switch between players and almost instantly know what's going on just because of the simplicity and the "circle system".

6.) Sure, it's slow paced, but so are MOBAs... Slower pacing allows you to think up your own strategies and see if the player does what you're thinking or not... Gives some engagement. Slower pace makes it much easier to follow and easier to watch. It's more relaxing but with intense moments that make you sit up and pay attention... similarly to how Football is watched.

7.) There would need to be a ton of effort put into the spectator/announcer stuff to put it over the top.
A.) Big map overheads they can point to showing PC clusters and where the intense action will likely be (Heatmap layer / breadcrumb layer (show pathing of all PCs across map), etc.).
B.) Various leaderboards. A "watchlist", (like in Golf), showing the fan favorites, give killcount/health/time of death, and leave them on the leaderboard after death, just grayed out. Another leaderboard tracking killcounts and any other stats.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Hekotat

I would rather them focus on community tournaments rather than e-sports, do monthly events where the winners get some cool skin/item to show off. Have different tiers so different level players have a chance to win something cool, maybe just change the color schemes to indicate which tier you won in. This would have to be done at the end of a season and arrange by player rankings, as a finale to the season.

However, still too much to even fix before it can be considered. Vaulting over certain items still downs/kills you, performance issues, hiccuping which started a few days ago in close range gun fights and near those green barns in miramar, getting stuck in a parachute in mid air, sound direction issues, etc.

I can't imagine how furious I'd be if I lost a tournament game because I couldn't cut away a parachute or died while vaulting.

gauze

Molten Core Raider
I dont doubt the potentionality of it being a good esports game. I'm purely thinking back to Gamescom, where it was just an utter mess which could just be down to camerman/men just never being in the right place. A heatmap would be insanely great. I didn't watch iem katowice 2018 to know if it was any better, but I saw some free look highlight work that was actually pretty nice.

As far as community tournaments, I would rather them not. As it stands bluehole/pubgcorp have not done anything for the overarching esport community other than releasing the Gamescom box to fund prize money, push in a spectator mode that actually works for us with replay feature, and custom servers which could allow community tournament but needs to be ran by community, not bluehole.

Outside of minor tweaks like slowing down the blue circle and increasing the damage, imo gameplay quality change. Balancing guns, like making the mini14 not a laser, and the most common ar, m16 not be the most broken.

I'm not sure about vaulting objects and dying. Only thing that bugs me is not being able to cut your shoot on command which would allievaite a lot of shit. As far as vaulting any issues I've had has been completely gutted by giving it's own keybind. Mine is still on Sprint+Jump, but instead of it being on Jump also, I removed it and put it on V. Also don't notice the hiccups, not that I doubt you or anyone but usually hotdrop and walking out of pecado/chinki with 5-8 kills np.

Hekotat

They could always post the tournament after the fact and edit it to be a better viewing experience.

I'm always going to watch doc since he's the most entertaining.

• 1Solidarity

Fadaar

That guy
Best thing these tournaments can do is have everyone participating stream on a decently long delay (3-5 mins?) + a commentator "channel" bouncing around + the actual broadcasting/spectator interface being completely overhauled with heat map and better tools. I don't know if anyone here has ever watched a YouTube stream with multiple camera/audio angles, but it's pretty awesome. Rooster Teeth guys have done it when streaming games. The UI is pretty much the same as when you watch a video that's on a playlist, except replace the list on the right side with streams. This probably wouldn't work unless it's on a LAN where someone can set everything up all in advance, would be too much of a clusterfuck to make work in these stay-at-home tourneys. I generally don't care for watching third person sky cam of fights since it generally looks like ass and is pretty hard to follow, I'd rather pick a team and bounce around their streams.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
When streamers were doing custom games, I enjoyed watching those. I'd play in them but usually died early and popped out to watch the rest. Murda I think still does these. I had a nice moment in the spotlight on Ellohime's stream driving through the blue with chat rooting for me :D

gauze

Molten Core Raider
^thats pretty much what I wish they'd do with their custom servers. Just run community servers that are consistently commentated or watched via streams. I would find those ultimately more entertaining to watch and/or participate than official community tournaments from pubg officials. Streamer or organization ie ESL and so on.. different story.

If I recall correctly, all the community servers were hosted by someone within PuBGcorp/bluehole.

Cybsled

Shroud did some custom server matches a few days ago. He had one with fog and crossbows only, then another one with 1911s in the rain and 1second revivals.

I miss the rain and fog weather. Fucking crybabies got them removed ;/

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Shroud did some custom server matches a few days ago. He had one with fog and crossbows only, then another one with 1911s in the rain and 1second revivals.

I miss the rain and fog weather. Fucking crybabies got them removed ;/

Agreed. Fog got annoying sometimes when you wanted to be serious but rain i thought was perfectly fine and fun. Visibility but muffled shots. All they need to do is just make an opt-in/opt-out toggle. I'm sure there's enough people willing/wanting to play fog/rain that games would still be filled just fine.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Wait, they got rid of the rain entirely? I just thought I hadn't seen it. What a stupid idea.

That's my understanding of it. It's probably also gone completely because of the new map and blueholes typical ineptitude with coding. rain/fog in a desert environment on the new map isnt really quite as fitting. They also probably don't know how to make it only apply to one map.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
That's my understanding of it. It's probably also gone completely because of the new map and blueholes typical ineptitude with coding. rain/fog in a desert environment on the new map isnt really quite as fitting. They also probably don't know how to make it only apply to one map.
I've never seen thicker fog than when i was deployed to Qatar. Literal less than 5 feet visibility

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Fortnite is infinitely more entertaining to watch than pubg is however.

• 1Solidarity