PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Because the game barely functions without weather effects, adding them back in just breaks all the loot spawn lag and FPS again.

They do fine on savage. And when the game DID have those effects, I usually got higher FPS on fog and rain. Rain maybe not so much but I never noticed lag specificalily from it. I liked the lightning/thunder/muffled noises though. The changes to the sound simply from the storms made it a different feel. And they do fine on savage, though I know it's a bit smaller of a map.

But yeah as I think both shroud and at least wacky jacky have said, the latest builds have been the worst performing onces for fraemrate that they can recall. I'm amazed that an engine like UE4 can be botched so badly. I figured it was the go-to engine for the asian developers because of the cost effectiveness, ease of use and good optimization (see all the diff korean MMO's using it) and Bluehole just said "nah, we can show you it can still be fucked up severely, and get WORSE over time"

Xevy

Log Wizard
Their servers are just fucking deteriorating. Look at this shit. And no, you can't blame my computer or internet for this:

Also the one flick ironsight K98 I hit I really, really didn't want to:

This dude drove a Mirado around my team for I shit you not probably 4-5 minutes just honking. Not even really trying to run us over. He was a true legend. My teammates still haven't figured out to fight cars you shoot at them from BEHIND COVER. NOT DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF THE CAR IN THE MIDDLE OF FUCKING NO WHERE:

New mode sucks. It sounds great, but Crossbow's are such an ass-backwards weapon that it makes it basically luck based to win. For most of your shots if you use a 4x on a crossbow the bolt will go HIGHER than the target until after 100m. It's just such ass.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
yeah, PUBG is getting worse and worse to play. They have went from 3 millon concurrent players a few months ago, down to 1.5 million. now thats still a massive number, but it does show you, if you dont fix your fucking game, people leave!

My main gripe is how hard it is to find good weapons. YOu can search 3-4 houses and only come out with a pistol and a shotgun, sometimes a mini uzi. That shit too me is not fun. I dont know why they dont have good shit everywhere. Its a BR shooter, let us have good guns and shoot. game would be much much more fun imo.

Its to the point where i have turned to the darkside and went fornite. i used to despise that game.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
yeah, PUBG is getting worse and worse to play. They have went from 3 millon concurrent players a few months ago, down to 1.5 million. now thats still a massive number, but it does show you, if you dont fix your fucking game, people leave!

My main gripe is how hard it is to find good weapons. YOu can search 3-4 houses and only come out with a pistol and a shotgun, sometimes a mini uzi. That shit too me is not fun. I dont know why they dont have good shit everywhere. Its a BR shooter, let us have good guns and shoot. game would be much much more fun imo.

Its to the point where i have turned to the darkside and went fornite. i used to despise that game.
It's the snakes man, they post all over "It's a survival game not a shooter!" and don't want weapons in the game

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
It's the snakes man, they post all over "It's a survival game not a shooter!" and don't want weapons in the game

Which is crazy, because the game got super popular during the time when guns were fucking everywhere. They either need to add two modes to appease both crowds or they'll lose more.

I uninstalled a few weeks ago due to loot, server issues, latency, etc. It sucks too because the game was at it's peak performance wise a few weeks before then went to complete shit and I just can't deal with it anymore.

I hope they turn it around but until they learn to utilize their test server rather than leaving a patch up for 12 hours they will continue to have crazy issues.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Which is crazy, because the game got super popular during the time when guns were fucking everywhere. They either need to add two modes to appease both crowds or they'll lose more.

I uninstalled a few weeks ago due to loot, server issues, latency, etc. It sucks too because the game was at it's peak performance wise a few weeks before then went to complete shit and I just can't deal with it anymore.

I hope they turn it around but until they learn to utilize their test server rather than leaving a patch up for 12 hours they will continue to have crazy issues.

Yeah their test server ideals have baffled me forever. I still wont play fortnite but I just cant help but scratch my head at the whole "12 hours of test server then boom it's live!" -- Only thing i can think they're testing is just to see if the game servers actually crash. They couldn't give a rats ass about anything beyond that, from latency, to framerate performance, to balance.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot

At least he discovered a way to help avoid it. I started avoiding 2-seaters all together. With this i'll try again. For a while if i went on bike i'd use a 3-seater as it ironically felt far safer.

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I hadn't died on a bike in a long long time until recently I died like 3 times in one night. That explains a few things.

Had 7 kills in a squad game tonight with like 40 left alive, then got pinched by 4 teams all shooting at just our team. Rough.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
On my phone so fuck posting a link but there is a Dev blog talking about optimization and performance
I'm home, said letter

PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS :: Dev Letter: Recent Feedback and Our Development Priorities

Hi everyone,

Ever since we launched the 1.0 version of PUBG earlier this year, we’ve been focused on building our team so we can invest in the game’s ongoing development. We’ve been building new content (like Sanhok), quality-of-life improvements (like map selection and weapon balance), and a whole series of aggressive anti-cheat measures. We want PUBG to be the best game possible so players like you keep loving—and playing—it.

Although we’ve made some meaningful improvements to PUBG, we’ve fallen short in other ways. Players have rightfully called us out for failing to address complaints about performance, and recently we haven’t done the best job of communicating about the changes we’re making to the game. Today we want to change that by talking in-depth about the things we’re prioritizing. We’ll also tease some of upcoming content we plan to add to the game.

This Dev Letter is the first of many more to come. Without further ado, let’s get into it.

OUR TOP PRIORITIES

We look at feedback from players around the world when determining our priorities. We’ve heard your voices, and as a result we believe that the biggest issues which deserve our attention are performance, server-side optimization, and cheating.

Performance and Server-Side Optimization - Over the past few patches, we’ve seen a big increase in complaints about performance problems, including unpredictable FPS drops, visual stuttering, and overall sluggish performance. Some of the root problems are occurring client-side, and others are server-side.

First things first. We’ve identified a few simple fixes we can make to improve overall game performance:
  • We’ve discovered that when vehicles move over many different types of ground materials quickly, too many effects are produced, causing players’ GPUS to overload.
  • Another cause of GPU overloading (and FPS drops) has to do with the way lighting effects are processed.

We’re already working on fixes for both of the issues above.

We’re also changing the way we ship optimizations. We’re planning to push updates to live servers whenever fixes are ready, instead of simply waiting for major patches. We’ll announce each of these improvements in subsequent patch notes.

Looking more toward the future, we’ve identified quite a number of ways we can optimize different aspects of the game to improve performance holistically.

Upcoming Client-Side Optimization Work
Character optimization

• We’ll optimize the way the game handles the movement of opponents who you can’t see.
  • The vaulting process and animations will also be improved—we believe this will address certain screen stuttering issues affecting low-powered PCs.
  • We’ll improve the character model rendering process to prevent some small frame drop issues.
  • We’ll optimize character movement and animation while skydiving to improve framerate when multiple characters are skydiving at the same time.
  • We’ll optimize parachute animations to cut down on frame drops near the start of the match

We expect the final three changes above will make the early stages of each match feel much smoother. War Mode will also benefit immensely from these changes.

Vehicle optimization
  • We’ll optimize the way the game handles unseen (far away) vehicle movement and the movement of player models inside faraway vehicles.
  • Currently stopped vehicles demand an unnecessary amount from your CPU. We’ll fix it.

Loading optimization/stabilization
  • We’ll optimize the core structures of Miramar and Sanhok to improve map loading speed.
  • We’ll optimize physical texture loading while level streaming, which should address screen stuttering issues.
  • There’s a crashing issue caused by some level-streaming processes that we’ll address.

Other optimization work
  • We’ll address the frame drop issue caused by high-magnification scopes
  • Certain other far-away objects will be rendered in a less taxing way
  • We’ll optimize the replay system to improve framerate for players who have the replay/death cam activated

Upcoming Server-Side Optimization Work
  • We’ll optimize network code and reduce network latency. As a result, basic player inputs will be revealed to other players much more quickly.
  • We’re going to increase the speed at which the server transfers data about objects (items, doors, fences), to address the fact that sometimes item spawn in late after players parachute in.
  • We’re going to eliminate some inefficient network code. Currently, some objects send updates to the server unnecessarily
  • Currently the server rapidly updates certain frames (on vehicles and character models) in an inefficient way. When we address this, we believe it will also resolve some abnormal physics affecting vehicles.

Obviously these are a lot of changes. Even once we implement every single one of the optimization opportunities listed above, we will keep looking for more chances to improve the game.

Cheating - Cheating is the area where we’ve made the most progress in recent months. We’ve introduced a variety of encryption based solutions to make it harder for hackers to exploit vulnerabilities. We’ve also banned hundreds of thousands of cheaters’ accounts and refined the process by which we identify cheaters—most cheaters are now banned within hours of using an exploit. We’ve also begun taking serious legal action against the people responsible for creating hacks and cheats.

All of this will continue, but there’s more we can do. We believe we’re winning the battle against cheating, but we won’t stop fighting until we’ve eliminated it. Look for more updates on this in future dev letters.

OTHER UPCOMING WORK

Of course, PUBG Corp. is made up of many different teams, and they’re each focused on improving the game in different ways. The people who work on maps, gameplay balance, or cosmetics aren’t going to stop making things simply because we’ve declared that our top priorities lie elsewhere.

The biggest content drop coming in the near future is Sanhok. We’re aiming to bring it to live servers before the end of June, and development on the map won’t stop there. We’re planning new exclusive vehicles and an exclusive weapon for Sanhok, each of which will drop sometime in the month after the map officially launches. Among these is a big fan request: a drivable three-wheeled vehicle we’re currently calling the Tukshai.

6f9cc8fb08db158af8107414b14873a6abe281d3.png

In many ways, Sanhok’s test servers have become a place for us to experiment with all sorts of changes and features, including dynamic weather, a variety of circle systems, and weapon spawn behavior. We’ll continue to test out changes during the upcoming test cycle.

We’re also excited to show off the work that our worldbuilding team has been doing to make Sanhok our most beautiful map yet.

For instance, one person on the team has spent countless hours touching up the island’s various rocks and cliffaces, adding moss to those near water:

8ce888207633e72a1c0d755892780f4728e4099d.jpg

Another member of the team has been carefully creating decorative items to make towns feel more like places which once hosted life. A massive pile of original art assets like this...

0afa0fa67c09affa04dc8ec389863dcf394d73fd.png

...will appear in game in places like the abandoned market below:

5d14ae2039f0d1b448b15498b0c2bc2df547bf3f.jpg

The team is focused on making literally every inch of Sanhok perfect for players, whether it’s the texture on a rock wall or little unique trimmings around each of the islands houses. Every detail matters, and the team is eager to get feedback from you guys during the latest test.

We’ll have a lot more to share about the other goodies coming to Sanhok in the coming weeks. And you can expect more letters like this from us going forward. There’s so much work we have to do to truly deliver on PUBG’s potential. We’ve teased just a few of the upcoming changes for this year in our Roadmap earlier this year, but the things contained there are really just the beginning.

We’ll talk again soon!

Thank you for playing,
The PUBG Dev Team

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
After losing half their customers NOW performance, netcode and server performance are a priority?

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
After losing half their customers NOW performance, netcode and server performance are a priority?

I'm pretty dubious, but we'll see. I mean, the last Sanhok round was pretty much unplayable. The items spawning faster is pretty significant for me though, I drop hot to places like Hacienda a lot, so if I can see shit before I hit the ground it's a pretty big deal.

Xevy

Log Wizard
They've been doing the H1 nosedive. Putting bandaids on gaping holes while pumping out skins while the ship sinks. I think they figured out that Fortnite is destroying them and it just takes ONE realistic Royale to get it right to end PUBG as it stands. Every patch they do something right they break something else or remove the good changes (blue circle speed) and constantly add crates. Not free crates, either. Fucking keyed crates. They're trying to milk this dry because I don't think the game is built correctly and there are some of these issues with their netcode that will NEVER be solved. The only reason they do "weekly maintenance" now is because the server resets fix some desync issues for long enough to keep people playing. It lasts about 3 days after each server restart before it all goes to shit.

• 1Like

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
That's some pretty weak shit.

Off topic, twitch will not stop buffering every few damn seconds and it makes it a chore to watch any videos from it -.-

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xevy

Log Wizard
You have a problem with your internet

Actually sometimes it's the player. There's the HTML5 player and whatever the other is, and the HTML5 one buffered for me nonstop and I have 125mb up/down. I had to turn it off. I think it switched back on at some point but works now. Also I'd check your GPU drivers which seems like it makes NO sense for this problem, but my GPU driver wasn't updated and it fucked all sorts of twitch clips and youtube videos up for a few days.

• 1Like