Playstation 5

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I think there's some fundamental problems that can't be fixed with OS/firmware updates, like the hot memory which seems like a serious problem waiting to happen once the thermal paste starts to degrade. I also think they blew a whole bunch of money on their "ultrafast" SSD, which so far appears to be the same kind of paper stats as PCI-E Gen4x4.

Then there's the issues which could be fixed with updates, but I don't trust Sony to actually do it. Sure, I don't doubt they'll eventually add folders back into the UI, but I think the UI is fundamentally just bad compared to PS4. It's especially weird to me that they made the icons much smaller, which is probably something people who really liked themes asked for... except the PS5 doesn't actually have themes, so what's the point? And why is long-press now the way to get back to the dashboard, and short-press the menu strip, and closing a game or putting the console into rest mode take a bunch of extra button presses? It's all just a bunch of 'change for the sake of change'.

Or the DualSense, which aside from a gimmick-showcase game like Astro, is nothing special at all compared to the DS4. And while Sony could easily get rid of the retarded requirement to use a DualSense with PS5 games--even ones that use none of its features, and even though you can use a DS4 with them just fine over Remote Play--I highly doubt they will ever remove this restriction. I mean, this is the same company that still makes you use their proprietary garbage USB stick to connect a controller via BT on PC Remote Play, even though they haven't manufactured it for several years.

It might sound like nitpicking, but I do have both consoles and I think I'm pretty objective about their differences, and a bunch of small gripes about the PS5 add up after a while when there's basically nothing to complain about with its competition. Hell, I never even considered buying a MS console until I got a X1X on xmas eve 2019, so I'm certainly not biased towards MS. All I can say is that whenever I want to play a game that's a PS exclusive or something I already owned on PS4 I just wish I could play it on the Series X instead.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I got a PS5 for RPG exclusives and nothing more. I have no inclination to buy a XSX since those games will also be on PC.

• 3Like
  • 1Seriously?
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I think there's some fundamental problems that can't be fixed with OS/firmware updates, like the hot memory which seems like a serious problem waiting to happen once the thermal paste starts to degrade. I also think they blew a whole bunch of money on their "ultrafast" SSD, which so far appears to be the same kind of paper stats as PCI-E Gen4x4.

The hot memory is cause for concern, that’s true. The SSD seems over-hyped since it seems to be barely any faster than the Xbox one.

I don’t think we will know the exact performance difference between the 2 consoles for a while still, until true next gen games come along.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider

Then there's the issues which could be fixed with updates, but I don't trust Sony to actually do it. Sure, I don't doubt they'll eventually add folders back into the UI, but I think the UI is fundamentally just bad compared to PS4. It's especially weird to me that they made the icons much smaller, which is probably something people who really liked themes asked for... except the PS5 doesn't actually have themes, so what's the point? And why is long-press now the way to get back to the dashboard, and short-press the menu strip, and closing a game or putting the console into rest mode take a bunch of extra button presses? It's all just a bunch of 'change for the sake of change'.

Or the DualSense, which aside from a gimmick-showcase game like Astro, is nothing special at all compared to the DS4. And while Sony could easily get rid of the retarded requirement to use a DualSense with PS5 games--even ones that use none of its features, and even though you can use a DS4 with them just fine over Remote Play--I highly doubt they will ever remove this restriction. I mean, this is the same company that still makes you use their proprietary garbage USB stick to connect a controller via BT on PC Remote Play, even though they haven't manufactured it for several years.

It might sound like nitpicking, but I do have both consoles and I think I'm pretty objective about their differences, and a bunch of small gripes about the PS5 add up after a while when there's basically nothing to complain about with its competition. Hell, I never even considered buying a MS console until I got a X1X on xmas eve 2019, so I'm certainly not biased towards MS. All I can say is that whenever I want to play a game that's a PS exclusive or something I already owned on PS4 I just wish I could play it on the Series X instead.
And I agree with almost every one of the issues you mentioned. But the only one that is really a hardware or design issue (which is what your original post was talking about) is the hot memory. Which may at some point in the future be a problem. Or it might be fine. Hard to take one person testing the heat in one PS5 and having it operate at the upper limits of spec and extrapolate that into a long term issue.

The rest I’ve bitched about in this thread (or one of the others) myself except for the UI. It’s fine right now but I don’t have a lot of games on it yet so maybe it will suck later. And the long vs short press is just a matter of ingrained memory making it seem bad. To go into rest mode it takes pretty much the exact same amount of time. Same amount of Button clicks.

For PS5 it’s Button ->Down ->left->X->X

For PS4 it’s Long Button->Down->Down->X->X

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Eh from what I've read about that gamernexus's PS5 heat issue is that he tore off some thermal compound when he did his test and didn't account for that.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>

You can wrap some towels around your PS5 while playing Valhalla, that way it will seem as if you are playing it on a series X?

Vorph

And pay more than $15 for a month of Ubi+ to play a Ubi game? That's crazy talk, sir. Hell, Watch Dogs and Valhalla together were barely worth the month's sub.

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Haven't had an issue. I am with Xexx Xexx - PS5 for exclusives and I am in and out of the demon souls remake in SECONDS and Valhalla too for that matter - everything loads in a jiffy and all I care about are the PS5 exclusives. Everything else I can get on Gamepass Ultimate and use my PC. MS exclusives will continue to suck and we are seeing that now with Halo Infinite. If they can fuck THAT up to the point they fucked it up, they can hire all the talent in the world if they cannot manage games and come out with solid shit. Sony has it wrapped from the software perspective and I have said it a million times. That is what wins this: Not this Stream shit to your phone xcloud garbage or play anywhere. MS wins that either way because they either get an XSEX sale or upgraded PC running windows OS anyway.

I do not give two shits if a game loads 2.3 seconds faster on XSEX. I am not going to notice. The only gripe I still have is with Sony's bullshit implementation of 3D Audio and not supporting Atmos and Vision.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
And pay more than $15 for a month of Ubi+ to play a Ubi game? That's crazy talk, sir. Hell, Watch Dogs and Valhalla together were barely worth the month's sub.

Thanks for the UBI+ tip a few weeks back, I am playing ACV on my PC while my 2 next gens collect dust.

I was looking at what game will be coming out next for PS5 that i would buy and its Immortal Fenyx Rising (the BOTW close) but thats also UBI+ as well LOL
so i guess more PC time for me.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Yeah as with all launch titles, nothing good comes out until year 2-3. So not much to look forward to at the moment. Launch years are always garbage. Probably won't see anything amazing until 2022. And I highly doubt HZD 2 or GoW2 will be out in 2021.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
PS:

32.99 for a year of PS Plus. Legit.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Wait, so the PS5 is outperforming the series X on a bunch of titles, it loads generally faster on games not taking advantage of the specific hardware, has way better exclusives, and the series X is a superior console? Say what?

Have you seen how quickly Spiderman loads?

I don't get Vorph's complaint with the DualSense, it's by far the best controller I've ever used. It's not even kinda close.

(also, I've had zero issues with mine.)

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Vorph

Yeah as with all launch titles, nothing good comes out until year 2-3. So not much to look forward to at the moment. Launch years are always garbage. Probably won't see anything amazing until 2022. And I highly doubt HZD 2 or GoW2 will be out in 2021.
Demon's Souls.....? If that hadn't been a launch title I wouldn't have bought the PS5 at all.

Personally I am very concerned about HZD2 and the next GoW, as in those studios getting the full Soy Francisco treatment just like Naughty Dog has.

I don't get Vorph's complaint with the DualSense, it's by far the best controller I've ever used. It's not even kinda close.

(also, I've had zero issues with mine.)
Dpad is mushy as fuck, I don't like the feel of the face buttons as well as the DS4, all the haptic shit is a battery-draining gimmick I will just shut off going forward, and being forced to use it in Demon's Souls instead of my DS4+back button attachment is a big negative impact on my enjoyment of the one game I bought the console for. Only things I like are the lack of lights on it, the new trackpad for the handful of games that actually use it as something other than a giant button, and the mute button.

Also, I still can't get the fucking thing to charge reliably on anything but the front USB-C port. Even the back ports everyone else says work fine stop charging it at 2 bars.

Last edited:

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Demon's Souls is far better than anything on the Xbox, the only cross platform game I'd consider playing would be Valhalla and that performs better on the PS5.

If there isn't a clear winner on the cross platform thing and Xbox has nothing worth playing exclusively (and you can still have gamepass on the computer) it's hard to see the case why you'd buy one if it was a choice between the two.

I haven't played Ghosts of Tsushima yet because I was waiting for the PS5 to play it at 4k 60fps. (Im going to just guess this is also far better than anything on the Xbox)

I rarely use the Dpad I guess so that doesn't bother me. The feel of the controller in my hands is perfect though and I personally enjoy the haptic shit. I agree I'm glad they got rid of the retarded light bar (though that's how the PSVR tracks the controller which is also dumb lol)

They did an update today that was supposed to fix the ports on the PS5. I get that complaint for sure, the software is new and buggy.

• This system software update improves system performance.
  • An issue where installed disc versions of games were sometimes deleted was resolved.
  • An issue that prevented the PS5 wireless controller from being charged while in rest mode when connected to the PS5's front side USB Type-A port using the USB cable included with some PS5 consoles was resolved.

• 1Like

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I also totally see the reasoning behind waiting to get either console though. I only got the PS5 because I knew I could get rid of my ps4pro for a decent price and I managed to snag one on Amazon when they went live. It would have been no skin off my back if I hadn't scored one and I wouldn't be spending a lot of time making sure I got a launch console.

That said I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Demon's Souls is just so great with super fast load times and 60fps.

I'm fairly disappointed Cyberpunk won't be upgraded until next year.

• 1Like

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
I’ll definitely grab a PS5 when exclusives come out, hopefully they will have a slimmer “pro” design I can get by then.

Crone

I bought an Xbox from Best Buy and will try for Ps5 tonight. I'm waffling back and forth about what console I want to keep first. On the one hand, Xbox is super cool with Gamepass, and backwards compatibility with their controllers, and tons of BC Games. Sony is fucking dicks with some of their shit, especially not being able to use DS4 controllers. However, instead of Gamepass, I have a shit load of Ps4 games that I haven't played that will load better, and potentially look better on Ps5. And of course exclusives down the road, and I don't miss out on Gamepass since I can use it on my PC.

Seems like PS5 is the way to go. Fucking hell. Exclusives win again.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah the only reason really to get a PS5 now is if Demon Souls is your favorite game of all time, or if you are gonna spend 100+ hours this dec/jan playing PS4 games - may as well play slightly faster those games. Its still basically like upgrading your PC parts.

PS5 definitely outperforms series X in game performance, which is really bizarre. Lots of theories (SDK, optimization errors, etc) but who knows. The series X is definitely the more "elegant" design and build from a hardware and deployment (smart delivery, BC) perspective, but it still has that huge problem of fuck all for amazing games. I've turned my X on maybe 10 hours total, all just to play Destiny 2, while I've played a dozen games on my PS5.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Vorph

I've got about 70 hours in Yakuza 7 on Series X, though to be fair calling it "exclusive" is a bit of a stretch. It's an amazing game though, no matter where you get it... so much so I only have about a dozen hours in Demon's Souls so far.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
One of these days i'll force myself to shell out 70+ bucks for a game to actually play on this system I just bought. Never played the first Spider Man so the deluxe edition is probably totally worth the price, but between being a cheapskate and my enormous backlog of amazing games on PC i'm having a hard time convincing myself to pull the trigger.

• 1Like