Playstation 5

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Might try to grab another PS5 on Amazon today. They're adding a ton of stock. I have no idea when in the day this is happening, though, so I'll probably miss it.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Checked in at 11 to see the salty tears and it hasn't even dropped yet. So even more salty tears.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

also ratchet and clank is free currently for all PS4/PS5 owners

Pretty awesome that you can download games to your console from playstation.com.

Do PS Plus games disappear once they change? Like if I added games to my library can I still access it later or are games always rotating in and out?

spronk

FPS noob
Pretty awesome that you can download games to your console from playstation.com.

Do PS Plus games disappear once they change? Like if I added games to my library can I still access it later or are games always rotating in and out?

as long as you have an active PS+ sub you can access any of the PS+ games you have "bought" for $0. You have to actually add them to the library. You can stay subbed for 2 years, add 2 years worth of the games every month, unsub for 1 year, and then resub and the 2 years of games you added will be playable. During the 1 year you don't have PS+ you wouldn't be able to play them.

• 3Like
  • 1Ding!
Reactions: 3 users

Nester

Vyemm Raider

Its pretty neat, but nothing compared to the Gamepass App. So easy to install games from my phone.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
as long as you have an active PS+ sub you can access any of the PS+ games you have "bought" for $0. You have to actually add them to the library. You can stay subbed for 2 years, add 2 years worth of the games every month, unsub for 1 year, and then resub and the 2 years of games you added will be playable. During the 1 year you don't have PS+ you wouldn't be able to play them.

Yeah, back in the day I had PS+ subbed for a long time and accumulated a lot of free games. For the cost of a game rental at Blockbuster you'd get two games a month and they were often really good / high-profile ones. I haven't been subbed regularly for a few years now because nowayears I have more games than I know what to do with, so subs are only temporary things (like for Demon's Souls).

For people who -aren't- absolutely swimming in games, PS+ is an outstanding investment. It even got me into things I wouldn't have played otherwise, like the Far Cry and Saint's Row games.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Those new games aren't it though, they're permanently free without PS+, at least as far as I understand. I'm pretty happy about the Horizon Dawn one since I was planning on buying that in the near future anyway. I'll probably install Abzu too since it was on my wishlist a while ago(isn't there anymore not sure if I got it free somewhere or what). I'll get Rez too in case I ever get PSVR. Don't think I'll bother with the rest as I have no interest in them or already played them(Subnautica is great).

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Those new games aren't it though, they're permanently free without PS+, at least as far as I understand. I'm pretty happy about the Horizon Dawn one since I was planning on buying that in the near future anyway. I'll probably install Abzu too since it was on my wishlist a while ago(isn't there anymore not sure if I got it free somewhere or what). I'll get Rez too in case I ever get PSVR. Don't think I'll bother with the rest as I have no interest in them or already played them(Subnautica is great).

Not sure about that. I don't have PS+ and there are a bunch of games I got on PS+ that are locked out now. They have a lock symbol on them and it says I need a PS+ subscription.

I might get PS+ this month just for Rez and Subnautica. Depends on if Rez is playable without VR. I loved the PS2 version. Never played Subnautica and heard a lot of good things.

1616088161167.png

So, to the tech-savvy folks: What's the deal with the "8K Output" part? Does that mean the PS5 could in theory go up to 8K resolution in a game, or does it just mean "the console can connect to an 8K TV without exploding"? Because one of those is a lot more impressive than the other.

I learned to be wary of this kind of language back when the XBox One S was touted on the box as "the first console to support 4K resolution" and then you find out it only supports 4K resolution for media, games were capped at 1080p.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Not sure about that.
Play At Home is a WuFlu promo, so the games are free for everyone just like Ratchet & Clank last year.
So, to the tech-savvy folks: What's the deal with the "8K Output" part?
It means the console supports HDMI 2.1, so if you connect it to an 8K TV using a 48Gbps cable, you'll get up to 8K60 support from the console (except that it wasn't functional when the console shipped and I haven't heard of any firmware updates changing that yet). Games could theoretically use it, but since native 4K60 is still mostly a pipe dream I wouldn't count on anything but the least graphic-intensive titles to ever do so.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
if you think PS+ is a good deal (and it totally is, especially if you have a PS5) GamePass is absolutely insane. I haven't bought a single game on my series X so far, but played

- DQ XI S 150+ hours justifies GP by itself
- Dirt 5, loving it
- DOnut County, goofy 6 hour game I really enjoyed and would never have played otherwise
- Goose Game, same
- a TON of LucasArts games from my childhood like Monkey Island, Day of Tentacle, Indiana Jones, etc
- State of Decay 2 (zombie game), Halo collection, Gears of War 5, and a dozen other $60 games

The value just blows away PS+ in terms of variety and monthly drops. PS+ is great at 1-2 awesome games every 2-3 months, but gamepass is basically 10 new games every month.

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Getting it into the cart for Walmart is the hardest part. Once it's in you can usually time the purchase for the next drop but have to clear Part 1.

• 1Like

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Had 3 people trying and it was either errors or out of stock. Fuck. But congrats!
It actually gave me the "out of stock, check back at 3:10 EST" message at 3:00 but I just refreshed a few more times and then bam, add to cart.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Just gave Wal-mart a stab at 3:40 and it's got an "add to cart" option but it says out of stock after I click that. I'll try a few more times. Still nothing on Amazon. Not a big deal though.

• 1Like