Playstation 5

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Very few companies actually make the chips though. You can't magically turn 4500Mbps chips (which is about where the reasonably priced SSD market caps out) into 5500+, though some shady brands might try to lie about it. 7000-ish Mbps drives are overkill, but they're all that's available for the moment.

So, while it's true there's a market void to fill there, not only do SSD vendors have to step up, but also a chip supplier needs to find a way to get about 20% more sequential read performance out of their 'bang for the buck' tier of chips.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
The WD850 w/ heatsink is currently $20 off directly on WD and ships immediately, $229 w/ heatsink

however imo the Samsung 980 pro is the better one to get. It uses 8nm chips vs 16nm WD850, which means the samsung 980 pro should run cooler. As any future NVMEs that use 8nm.

I'm still not bothering for now though, its easy enough to move games to my USB drive and move back when I wanna play. A 2TB for $200-250 is the sweet spot for me to jump in.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
I'd care more about disk space if there were PS5 exclusives worth playing.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Let the nerds beta test and fight over their hard drives, let the manufacturers update their firmware, let the inevitable sales happen through the end of the year. Choose when you have to not because it's new.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
pretty interesting someone tested the slowest Gen4 m.2 drive and basically it works fine on PS5 games, just loading stuff 1 or 2 seconds slower. These are drives rated at 3900 mb/s read speeds vs the 7000 mb/s read speeds of the "best" drives.

so probably no real reason to buy the most expensive drive when you decide to expand, a 2 or 4TB slower one will work just as well

I've been running the PS5 beta firmware for a week now no problem, no SSD installed but i'm in no rush. just bought ac valhalla and playing that now lol

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
pretty interesting someone tested the slowest Gen4 m.2 drive and basically it works fine on PS5 games, just loading stuff 1 or 2 seconds slower. These are drives rated at 3900 mb/s read speeds vs the 7000 mb/s read speeds of the "best" drives.
Because those are sustained sequential transfer rates, totally irrelevant to game-loading where it loads all sorts of assets from a pool of files.

Also that XPG drive they chose is still a very fast SSD for normal uses.

• 1Like

Malakriss

Instead of simply rushing to plug holes in the existing infrastructure, HBO Max is getting ready to roll out a completely new app, one built from the ground up to match the needs of the current service. While it hasn’t been publicly announced yet, “We’re going to replace every single connected TV app in the next four or five months,” the WarnerMedia exec tells me. Woebegone Roku users will be first in line to get the new Max app along with PlayStation customers. Apple TV customers will likely have to wait until the end of the year, while an overhaul of the mobile and web-based apps is penciled in for early 2022.

• 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Got an email from Playstation yesterday (saw it this morning) saying I was invited to try and buy a PS5 today (this afternoon) at their store. I clicked the link to their event page before reading the small print saying "if you go to the event page before the proper time you might be blocked". Oops.

Edit: Seems I got one, placed an order for the Digital Edition and paid for it... so, win?

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
I have both the PS4 and PS5 versions of Assassins Creed Valhalla installed, since you can "double platinum" the game with just a tiny bit of extra effort by switching versions and juggling saves (the game uploads your latest save to a private ubi cloud that is downloadable by ANY platform of the game).

Normally I wouldn't bother but its kind of a neat way to just see the difference, I can definitely feel a massive difference in playability and visuals and input lag between the PS4 and PS5 versions. Load times are also wildly different, like 3-4x faster on PS5 over the PS4 version. And Ubisoft did a shit job at "porting" it to PS5 too, but even still it really is a bit eye opening at how much better even a recompiled PS5 version of a game is on a PS5.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'll be getting the PS5 I ordered today, so would anyone care to offer some advice on what to be aware of when setting it up? I have a PS4 Pro, and its currently updating a few games, which is necessary in order to upload save data, I guess. I just get an error when trying to upload that save data. Not a huge deal if there is something else going on.

The PS5 should be aware of my PS4 library of games, right? The only games I'll be playing again will the dlc's for Ghost of Tsushima and Avengers, I'd download Monster Hunter, but that game is done (where are you MH:Rise!?).

joz123

Potato del Grande
For the most part your PS4 saves will transfer over. There's a few games that you would have to replay on PS5 (Yakuza 7 for example).

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
R2 trigger is shot on my PS5 controller. Just need to look at it and it fires. Supposedly a common problem but the solution of sending it back for repairs leaves me controller-less unless I fork out for a new one in the meantime.

Malakriss

At least getting a new controller is more realistic than the console, or you can plug in an old one.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well, this PS5 Digital edition is a shit console, or I'm blind. There isn't an optical output for audio, really?

Malakriss

Companies have been phasing out toslink for a decade now, Xbox doesn't have one either. Video went the HDMI route since it is being updated while toslink isn't and headests are shifting to USB or full wireless.

• 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea, it just complicates things a bit due how I wanted to share the same monitor for main PC and Ps5. At the moment, I'll need to use the PS5 on my old 32" tv while I look for a good hdmi/optical splitter. Speaking of splitters, anyone know of one which would support 120hz hdmi, or is that spec a bit too new and such a splitter a bit too esoteric?

hory

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
What's the best way to track one of these things down. I'll buy a bundle or whatever.

• 1Like