Playstation 5

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I definitely didn't get the impression that they'd be launch titles from the event or the trailers.
A lot of them are announced for 2021. Some of the specific hardware optimization for PS5 are probably hard to develop for, although only the Ratchet&Clank game boasted being specifically designed for the fast loading system of the PS5.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
A lot of them are announced for 2021. Some of the specific hardware optimization for PS5 are probably hard to develop for, although only the Ratchet&Clank game boasted being specifically designed for the fast loading system of the PS5.
If the launch date for the console is holiday 2020 and the games are 2021, I don't believe they can be accurately described as launch titles.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Thinking about the launch titles for the last couple of generations I am hard pressed to remember any launch titles that were genuinely good.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Thinking about the launch titles for the last couple of generations I am hard pressed to remember any launch titles that were genuinely good.

Sad truth. I am banking heavily on the PS5 exclusive lineup though as the PS4s were so good.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Maybe they’ll release a black console by the time these good games release

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Unless you're getting a fat handout from Sony or Microsoft so they can move boxes, there's really no sense in investing a ton of resources in a launch title that isn't going to sell great since hardly anyone owns the console yet.

Szlia

It's been a long while since I bought a console on release. I now wait until whatever comes first : a game I really want to play or some sort of discount. For the PS3 it was GTAIV and for the PS4 a general store around here had 20% on all electronic devices for a week-end. In any case there is a gamble : buying early is betting that the thing is well designed and will not be followed quickly buy a revision that fixes more than minor issues, buying late is betting that there will not be a revision that removes features to lower costs (like some connectors or PS2 chips in PS3).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Maybe they’ll release a black console by the time these good games release
no, keep it right

i mean white
8ycmdaynuj451.jpg

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

spronk

FPS noob
XB1/PS4 launch titles
Assassins Creed 4 (ps3/360 versions too)
Call of Duty Ghosts (same)
Battlefield 4 (same)
Need for Speed Rivals (same)
usual sports shit (Madden, FIFA, dat 2k, etc)
Killzone ShadowFall (PS4 only)
Resogun (PS+)
Knack
Dead Rising 3 (xbox)
Killer Instinct (xbox)
Ryse (xbox)
Minecraft (xbox)

It was a really pathetic launch list and it took about a year before Destiny was released, that was probably the first real "must play" only on consoles.

Doesn't look like PS5/XSEX will be much different. One huge difference is that way more people are digital on PS4/XB1, especially combined with gamepass and PSNow. Xbox has already said everything is forwards and backwards compatible and the XSEXs UI will be exactly the same so you can move over to XSEX anytime for a small perf boost without having really much else change under you, like upgrading a PC.

mostly same with PS5, you can keep playing most third party games on PS4 and upgrade to PS5 on a deal or when a game comes out that you really want to play only on PS5.

Cyberpunk 2077, Assassins Creed Valhalla and Halo Infinite are the big holiday 2020 titles and all will run on ps4/xb1.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
It's been a long while since I bought a console on release. I now wait until whatever comes first : a game I really want to play or some sort of discount. For the PS3 it was GTAIV and for the PS4 a general store around here had 20% on all electronic devices for a week-end. In any case there is a gamble : buying early is betting that the thing is well designed and will not be followed quickly buy a revision that fixes more than minor issues, buying late is betting that there will not be a revision that removes features to lower costs (like some connectors or PS2 chips in PS3).
ps2 was the first and only console i bought on release

had to pre-order it from gamestop, pretty sure i was forced to pre-order 2 games in order to quality, pretty sure thats why i have the summoner

the drive broke in a few months with minimal play (did the good ol best buy swap)

now i always buy the rev2 of the console

• 1Like

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
AC Valhalla was confirmed as a XSEX/PS5 launch title right after it was announced. You'd have to be insane to buy a new console for that though.

Not only is it going to be another game like Origins and Odyssey that might as well have just dropped the AC name entirely, but Ubi has admitted it will still only be 30 fps on next gen consoles. If you really want to play the game, just sub to Uplay+ for a month and get access to the $120 (lol) version for $15... $30 if you bother to resub again after all the season pass DLC is out.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I remember being supremely disappointed in the PS3 launch titles, as in there weren't any really memorable games, nor did any of those games really look "next gen" graphic wise. PS2 I can't really remember what games I bought with the system. Switch had Zelda: BOTW (I know it was available on Wii U as well, but only like 20 people in the world actually bought that shit system) and Mario Kart 8 deluxe. It's crazy, but the system I remember having the best games at launch was the Sega Genesis. "Altered Beast," "Ghouls n' Ghosts," "Golden Axe," and "Thunderforce" were amazing games at the time, and really showed off how much better the Genesis was than their 8 bit rivals.

• 1Like

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Apparently the PS5 case is going to be much more modular in nature more akin to a PC case. This will allow for special editions to have pretty wild form factors and might actually be a better option for those whose decor doesn't skew toward Tower of Orthanc.

Coleslaw

Blackwing Lair Raider
Give me a red/black ps5 yes please.

No way can I justify getting a ps5 at launch. Would rather put the money towards a new PC.

The ps4 was my first day 1 launch console. What did I play? Call of Duty ghosts baby. I actually played my ps3 more than my ps4 for the first year.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
It's kinda strange right now that new consoles don't release with very many, if at all, AAA exclusive titles. I would think "The Last of Us 2" would've been an awesome game to release with the PS5, even if it didn't take full advantage of its power. Just think a few really good exclusives to have for the launch of your new system makes sense, and would certainly drive up sales, especially for those people who are on the fence.

• 1Seriously?

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
It's kinda strange right now that new consoles don't release with very many, if at all, AAA exclusive titles. I would think "The Last of Us 2" would've been an awesome game to release with the PS5, even if it didn't take full advantage of its power. Just think a few really good exclusives to have for the launch of your new system makes sense, and would certainly drive up sales, especially for those people who are on the fence.
They don’t really need to drive up sales on release. Especially if it’s backwards compatible, people will just replace their ps4. Usually sales for the first few months are constrained by supply unless it is a massive flop

By 6 months they need to have some new gen exclusives to continue to drive sales

Last edited:
  • 1Faggotry

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Did they realize being backwards compatible /helps/ sales and does not hinder them finally?
They didn't drop backwards compatibility because it didn't help sales, they dropped it cause they needed to add a PS3 chipset in the PS4s to be able to run the game because Sony consoles have been on fucking weird shit for a long time, and it wasn't worth it due to the heat/room it took so they dropped it after the initial batch of consoles(which had backwards compatbility).