Playstation 5

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
It’s not like ps4 had any particularly good launch games. Knack and killzone plus some of the usual multiplat sports and shooters, with some indie games. I mean resogun was probably the best release game.

Infamous came out a bit later which was decently good.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
yeah we haven't heard actual launch dates for Spidey, Gran Turismo 7, Demon Souls, Ratchet and Clank, or Godfall. A bunch on the list is already 2021 like Kena and Horizon Zero Dawn 2. I imagine we'll probably get some confirms of launch titles on wed so probably not a huge deal, but its also possible a few of these games are getting hit hard with final crunch and covid so could get delayed.

Thats why its weird neither Sony nor Microsoft is giving CDPR like $20m to guarantee a next gen patch day 1 for Cyberpunk 2077, that feels like the game everyone is gonna want to play on their shiny new console. So far CDPR has not committed to a date for a next gen patch, just that you'll be playing the ps4/xb1 version which won't have RTX or other next gen features. You'll need a PC for that
There's zero chance GT7 launches this year and I would be shocked if it even launches in 2021.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
This is why the long stare down. If they were all $499, nobody would have needed to blink. Amazing how quickly the tables have turned and the pressure is on Sony, again.

Rude

Potato del Grande
600 bucks is still cheaper than a smart phone. Regardless I don't plan on buying a new playstation or Xbox anytime soon. My 1S collects dust and I'm fine with the PS4 Pro. 12 to 18 months after release it'll have a better library and may be worth the cost then.

• 1Faggotry

joz123

Potato del Grande
This is why the long stare down. If they were all $499, nobody would have needed to blink. Amazing how quickly the tables have turned and the pressure is on Sony, again.
What pressure? Sony will still have the better games. People will pay more to play good games that can't be played on Xbox/PC.

• 2Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Szlia

spronk spronk What's a Gallium arsenide game ?

About the pressure Sony is under, obviously there is some, but I would say it is more about the disposable income of their customers after 8 months of COVID than about whatever Microsoft is doing considering the Xbox One was almost a single market console. In Europe, it sold a quarter of the PS4 and half what the X360 did. Decency prevents me to say Japan's numbers (they are increasingly irrelevant anyway since they are well on their way to become a Nintendo-only market) and the ever growing "Rest of the World" has ratios similar to the european ones. Outside of North America where the PS4 edges the Xbox One 37 millions to 31, there is no console war : it's 76 millions to 17. It would take some cataclysmic event for Sony to not continue to dominate globally, and I am not even sure what such event could be.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>

About the pressure Sony is under, obviously there is some, but I would say it is more about the disposable income of their customers after 8 months of COVID than about whatever Microsoft is doing considering the Xbox One was almost a single market console. In Europe, it sold a quarter of the PS4 and half what the X360 did. Decency prevents me to say Japan's numbers (they are increasingly irrelevant anyway since they are well on their way to become a Nintendo-only market) and the ever growing "Rest of the World" has ratios similar to the european ones. Outside of North America where the PS4 edges the Xbox One 37 millions to 31, there is no console war : it's 76 millions to 17. It would take some cataclysmic event for Sony to not continue to dominate globally, and I am not even sure what such event could be.

Game as a Service

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>

25 bucks a month for 24 months for a (mostly) next gen console that includes Game Pass, EA Play, and X Cloud that lets you play all of those games on iDevices; 35 bucks a month for the top of the line 4K version of that. Sony is fighting the last war and doing a great job; all the exclusives are going to be on PS5. Microsoft, though, has long had to serve two markets: PC and consoles. They have also made the move to "X" as a Service a long time ago.

Microsoft suffered terribly at the hands of the "Living Room" delusion that Sony also bought into a generation earlier with the PS3. XBO was intended to be all things Media Center and controller-less with the Connect, which was compelling in the age of DDR but as the console Primer Mover was a Fad at the end of a Generation and not a unit mover at the beginning ala Wii Sports. Sony recovered from the PS3 debacle strong and thus PS4 was focused and great. It wasn't until 3 years later that MS course corrected with the X/S mid-gen refresh and began to catch back up.

I think that the reason no one released pricing is that Sony was going to go 599 and 499 for their units and the lower pricing is going to take longer for them to make money. As stated above, each side is actually playing a completely different game: Sony is playing the old game and seemed to be winning, and Microsoft is now fully revealed to be playing a completely different game, and also appears to be winning depending on one's point of view. It remains to be seen which one consumers prefer and which one is actually more profitable.

• 1Like

joz123

Potato del Grande
25 bucks a month for 24 months for a (mostly) next gen console that includes Game Pass, EA Play, and X Cloud that lets you play all of those games on iDevices; 35 bucks a month for the top of the line 4K version of that. Sony is fighting the last war and doing a great job; all the exclusives are going to be on PS5. Microsoft, though, has long had to serve two markets: PC and consoles. They have also made the move to "X" as a Service a long time ago.

Microsoft suffered terribly at the hands of the "Living Room" delusion that Sony also bought into a generation earlier with the PS3. XBO was intended to be all things Media Center and controller-less with the Connect, which was compelling in the age of DDR but as the console Primer Mover was a Fad at the end of a Generation and not a unit mover at the beginning ala Wii Sports. Sony recovered from the PS3 debacle strong and thus PS4 was focused and great. It wasn't until 3 years later that MS course corrected with the X/S mid-gen refresh and began to catch back up.

I think that the reason no one released pricing is that Sony was going to go 599 and 499 for their units and the lower pricing is going to take longer for them to make money. As stated above, each side is actually playing a completely different game: Sony is playing the old game and seemed to be winning, and Microsoft is now fully revealed to be playing a completely different game, and also appears to be winning depending on one's point of view. It remains to be seen which one consumers prefer and which one is actually more profitable.
Next gen will be the same. PC ppl will buy Xbox and people that want good games will get Playstation.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I've got my PC for games on that platform and couldn't give two shits about Xbox. I'll be getting a PS5. And the retardation in this thread about Atmos support making Xbox a better choice is fucking laughable. I want to play good games. Not shit games with better sound support.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

joz123

Potato del Grande
I've got my PC for games on that platform and couldn't give two shits about Xbox. I'll be getting a PS5. And the retardation in this thread about Atmos support making Xbox a better choice is fucking laughable. I want to play good games. Not shit games with better sound support.
It's because MS has no chance in hell of getting better games so they have to do gimmicky shit to be different. Woop de doo I can hear gun shots in Halo like I'm at a theater. People using that as a reason to get Xbox instead are pathetic and deserve to waste money on that shitbox.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I don't get the console race thing either. A race for what? The early adopters? Even at a $100 difference, the PS5 will outsell the Xbox in Japan/Asia and Europe.

Consoles have always been about the games for me. I buy what runs the games I want to play. I have a PC, which I'll upgrade sometime next year (only have a 1080gtx), Microsoft has said that all their titles will be on Windows as well. While Sony has said they are looking into PC porting, I doubt they'll share their exclusives day one, probably a year or more for their major exclusives if they even start doing it.

Microsoft might outsell Sony (in NA) for early adopters who focuses on console only without a PC, but for anyone with a gaming PC, which with the 3070 is more affordable than ever, why would anyone get a Xbox AND a PC for gaming? I'd rather get a $400 3070 than a Xbox. Getting both would be a waste for gaming.

This next gen of consoles can be boiled down to this. One console lets you play some games that are not available anywhere else for a $100 surcharge, the other lets you play PC games without any of the features of an actual PC. If I didn't have a PC though, I might end up getting both, as Microsoft have bought up some good studios lately (like inXile and Obsidian) which could start making some good Microsoft only exclusives. However, those titles are probably at least 2-4 years away.

This gen will be the same as the last ones. Sony will have top tier exclusives not available on any other platform. They'll most likely start showing up this time next year, at which point you'll either get the console or not play the games.

This has been Microsofts problem since they entered the market. If you want to play all the good games, you've needed a Playstation 1/2/3/4. If you want to play all the good games, you've never really needed an Xbox/360/One. What was their last console exclusive good title? Last Odyssey 13 years ago? With the announcement of all games on PC, they've made their gaming console obsolete for anyone with a sightly upgraded PC. While you can spend $10k on a 3090 SLI beast of a computer and that still won't let you play God of War 2.

Would be great if Sony announced that all their games will be PC as well, then I could avoid any console except Nintendo which will never ever port their first party titles.

• 2Like

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>

The only thing I see when watching ps5 announcements is their ridiculously laughable "3D sound" gimmick. Who the fuck takes that stuff seriously. Both consoles are retarded.

• 1Like

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
The words of someone who has never experienced Atmos.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
The only thing I see when watching ps5 announcements is their ridiculously laughable "3D sound" gimmick. Who the fuck takes that stuff seriously. Both consoles are retarded.

Agree with the "3D sound" gimmic, but their SSD tech could be a thing

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Sorry boys. If you faggots will cross buy the same games across 3 systems, I will pay $600 for a PS5. Sorry, not sorry. XBOX still needs something that will make me buy it. PC gaming isn't even an attractive option for me.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
sony not fucking around

price/date info coming out this wed 4pm EDT / 1pm PDT

• 1Like