Playstation 5

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
So this is random. I used to watch some videogame/movie reviews by Noah Antwiler aka The Spoony Experiment (think Video Game Nerd or That Guy With The Glasses). Apparently he fell on some pretty hard times and has a history of mental illness, his fall from popularity was pretty dramatic as he had a pretty decent fan base. So just last night I was going down a bit of a rabbit hole on the behind the scenes drama and that picture (different angle but exact same room) showed up.

Apparently it belongs to the same guy. Just really random that I’d spot that pic the very next day. Who knows but it’s mildly interesting. Or maybe they’re just bullshitting.

People must have really messed with him, this is a rule in his subreddit.

6. No elaborate schemes to subject Spoony to MKUltra style psychological torture.

Elaborate schemes to subject Spoony or any affiliated parties to MKUltra style psychological torture or the equivalent thereof will result in laughter and a permanent ban.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
People must have really messed with him, this is a rule in his subreddit.

6. No elaborate schemes to subject Spoony to MKUltra style psychological torture.

Elaborate schemes to subject Spoony or any affiliated parties to MKUltra style psychological torture or the equivalent thereof will result in laughter and a permanent ban.
I won't derail any further, but his Ultima reviews were pretty comprehensive and funny (not sure if they have aged well but I remember liking them).

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
As far as I understand, none of the HDMI 2.1 receivers can pass an uncompressed HDMI 2.1 signal for pass through. Apparently, the HDMI standards agency didn’t communicate thoroughly enough at all levels of the supply chain and most of the receivers that support HDMI 2.1 only support compressed 4K/120. Guess what the consoles output? Uncompressed. 🤦🏽‍♂️

• 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 user

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
So boys... has gaming platforms graphics finally outpaced my monitor? Or have graphics just somewhat plateau'd?

Because when I see videos of Demon's Souls and Miles Morales gameplay, it looks no different than my PS4. There have been clear jumps in graphical prowess in some gaming generations, with a more robust and noticeable curve going backwards in time, not forward. By that, I mean that as games evolve, the jump in technology is getting less and less perceptible. The jump from Atari to NES 8 bit was HUGE. The jump to NES to Super NES was enormous too. But the jump from PS3 to PS4? Ehhh... good but not so hitting-in-the-face obvious imo. Ditto here, but moreso.

So when looking at the PS5, I had an epiphany. Are we at a point where advanced monitors / TVs at 4k are required just as much as the system / hardware? For me to appreciate the graphic upgrade? Or are the graphics just kinda... plateau'd and meh?

Retard small brain analogous way I'm relating my thoughts to you tech wizards: I realize that you can have a liquid stream this big . this big o and this big O, as well as a hole this big . and this big o and this big O. If you have a hole this big o with both streams . and o trying to get through the hole, you see difference in output. But if you have a hole this big o and try to squeeze o and O through it, it'll look like the same amount of stream coming through this size --> o o even though the actual stream is o O because the hole was only o big.

In the above example, it's like

NES - .
PS1 - o
PS5 - O
CRT - .
Monitor - o
4kHD - O

There will be at LEAST one of you that will grasp what I'm asking here :) The rest can make fun of me in the rickshaw... that'd be terrific <3

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yes, the difference between a cheap 1080p TV and a 4K HDR TV with at least a proper local dimming feature, but preferably an OLED panel, is as night and day as it gets. Hell, it doesn't even have to be a cheap older TV--a friend just upgraded from a really nice 1080p plasma to a LG CX and that was a massive upgrade for him too. All the new consoles do is let you use them at more or less their full potential at 1440-4K 60, maybe even 4K 120 in some titles. Last gen games rarely had performance modes, and when they did it was almost always 1080p60 at best.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Got my LG CX a couple weeks ago and can vouch, this this is GORGEOUS. I didn't even think about getting a PS5 until I upgraded.

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Yes, the difference between a cheap 1080p TV and a 4K HDR TV with at least a proper local dimming feature, but preferably an OLED panel, is as night and day as it gets. Hell, it doesn't even have to be a cheap older TV--a friend just upgraded from a really nice 1080p plasma to a LG CX and that was a massive upgrade for him too. All the new consoles do is let you use them at more or less their full potential at 1440-4K 60, maybe even 4K 120 in some titles. Last gen games rarely had performance modes, and when they did it was almost always 1080p60 at best.
So the takeaway is essentially... don't bother with a PS5 unless you get a 4k TV first because it'll look like your PS4 on your shitty HDTV? Can't wait to see this tech IRL... shame that I don't have friends rich friends!

Don't get me wrong, Demon's Souls (as example) looks beautiful when I see demos, and I guess it's "crisper" a bit, but like a blind taste test of coke and pepsi, if you sat me down with MY Monitor or phone or TV, and played clips from Demon's Souls or Dark Souls III, I couldn't tell you which is which. Ex: FF7 on PS4 is obviously better than PS3 games with my setups but seeing Demon's Souls and Miles Morales on my desktop and phone, looks like it's just a PS4 game.

Damn... So we're at a point where it's like it's a "you gotta see the setup IRL" kinda deal? Has the PS5 surpassed the best PCs in terms of gaming/graphic power?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
So the takeaway is essentially... don't bother with a PS5 unless you get a 4k TV first because it'll look like your PS4 on your shitty HDTV? Can't wait to see this tech IRL... shame that I don't have friends rich friends!

Don't get me wrong, Demon's Souls (as example) looks beautiful when I see demos, and I guess it's "crisper" a bit, but like a blind taste test of coke and pepsi, if you sat me down with MY Monitor or phone or TV, and played clips from Demon's Souls or Dark Souls III, I couldn't tell you which is which. Ex: FF7 on PS4 is obviously better than PS3 games with my setups but seeing Demon's Souls and Miles Morales on my desktop and phone, looks like it's just a PS4 game.

Damn... So we're at a point where it's like it's a "you gotta see the setup IRL" kinda deal? Has the PS5 surpassed the best PCs in terms of gaming/graphic power?
No it hasn’t surpassed PCs.

Also, 4K 120hz TVs can be found for $500 now. You don’t need to be rich to have one. Just work a bunch of OT this holiday season and watch for deals, Amazon has payment installments now too.

4K content has always been ‘you have to see it’ to understand it. Watching a 4K video / trailer on a 1080 or 1440 device doesn’t allow you to see what a large screen 4K actually looks like.

• 1Like

Vorph

What clips are you watching? If it's not something like this:

[make sure to click the gear and set it to 2160p60]

then you aren't getting the real picture.

You don't have to spend $1800 on a LG CX to get a TV worthy of a PS5/XSX either. There are TVs like the Vizio M7 which are under $500 ($480 for 55" at Best Buy) that are still very impressive as long as you don't set it up side by side with a OLED. There's a bunch of others that are comparable in the 500-700 range, but I mention the Vizio specifically because Black Friday decimated stock everywhere and its about the only one currently available. Kind of surprising since it's also the top recommendation on rtings.com for a budget PS5 TV.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
What you need is this, anything else is unacceptable. :)

I was thinking ballpark 7 grand, but that bitch is 30 LoL... unreal.

The guy said, "for a moment, you're kinda thinking you're seeing something possibly even better than the real life experience". It gives you pause and makes you think... there MUST be a peak to all this. In my ELI5 description above using the liquid and holes... our own EYES have a finite resolution so to speak. So is 16k at 120fps about where we plateau with visuals?

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
What clips are you watching?
Yes, 4k clips like that. On my desktop, they're laggy af. That's a processing issue, I get it. But when it actually plays clearly (when the comp "catches up" it looks like a PS4 to me. Seriously. That's why I made my post because I was watching a lot of these really top of the line produced clips of the PS5 and I'm like...

Nah, people and especially my FoH bros aren't retarded... they wouldn't be suckered into buying a system that isn't even that significant of a graphical upgrade, right? So my epiphany was that the graphics finally outpaced the platforms I'm "seeing" it in. But I dumbed down my post not for you guys, but really for me since I'm not really tech but that doesn't mean I don't know wtf is going on either that these graphics just "aren't" anything special... it must be my hardware not letting the true look of the graphics pump out what it's truly capable of looking like.

Crone

It's been ramping up for a while I feel. For the longest time, the source output was behind the display technology. You got a 1080p TV, and you were fine. Live TV wasn't doing 1080p, they were doing "HD 720p" for the longest time. Computer gaming wasn't much different. How long did we all have 1080p/60hz screens and all thought that was fine? Maybe I was just super late to the party, but I feel that's pretty normal. Steam user stats I think agree.

It's finally now though that display tech is advancing past the hardware. It's closer now than it has ever been with the new consoles, as well as the new graphics cards for PCs just released. It's nuts, but the idea that 8k is just barely hitting the market, but there's already content for it that's available more mainstream than the beginning of 4k content ever was.

My friends have to jump down this rabbit hole as well and are just totally shocked at the choices they have to make now. They ask what monitor should I get now, and I have to go into a thesis paper style dissertation on monitors, refresh rates, resolutions, and all sorts of that shit just for them to make the decision. Usually ends up in them not giving a shit and just telling me to pick the screen for them.

• 1Worf

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I won't derail any further, but his Ultima reviews were pretty comprehensive and funny (not sure if they have aged well but I remember liking them).

Noah/Spoony did some really good stuff. His Ultima reviews are my favorite videos of his because he goes so in-depth. It simultaneously makes me want to play the Ultima series but also not play it because I feel like I did already from watching his synopses. Also check out his reviews of Final Fantasy 8, 10, 10-2, and 13, and the Highlander movies, and Miami Vice. Guy was just awesome ten years ago. Unfortunately he got depressed over time and his output of videos completely dropped off, and so did his Patreon funding, and he lost his GF/house/etc. Every once in a while he puts a low-effort stream online of him playing something for a couple hours with no edits. Down The Rabbit Hole did a good video about the rise and fall of Spoony. He could be successful again pretty quickly if he could snap out of his depression and revive his channel, which still has a ton of subscribers who wish he'd return, etc.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
All it takes is a few beers and some free time. I’ll probably last about two hours myself but I like to talk a big game. If @Brahma shows up for once in his life all three of us could blow past it all and start the end game in 8 hours.

I still need to play Monster Hunter World and Iceborne, but I was pushed away by the time required. If it's online and you're going to plow it, hit me up when you're getting people together for it and I'll get it / get online.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
So boys... has gaming platforms graphics finally outpaced my monitor? Or have graphics just somewhat plateau'd?

Because when I see videos of Demon's Souls and Miles Morales gameplay, it looks no different than my PS4. There have been clear jumps in graphical prowess in some gaming generations, with a more robust and noticeable curve going backwards in time, not forward. By that, I mean that as games evolve, the jump in technology is getting less and less perceptible. The jump from Atari to NES 8 bit was HUGE. The jump to NES to Super NES was enormous too. But the jump from PS3 to PS4? Ehhh... good but not so hitting-in-the-face obvious imo. Ditto here, but moreso.

So when looking at the PS5, I had an epiphany. Are we at a point where advanced monitors / TVs at 4k are required just as much as the system / hardware? For me to appreciate the graphic upgrade? Or are the graphics just kinda... plateau'd and meh?

Retard small brain analogous way I'm relating my thoughts to you tech wizards: I realize that you can have a liquid stream this big . this big o and this big O, as well as a hole this big . and this big o and this big O. If you have a hole this big o with both streams . and o trying to get through the hole, you see difference in output. But if you have a hole this big o and try to squeeze o and O through it, it'll look like the same amount of stream coming through this size --> o o even though the actual stream is o O because the hole was only o big.

In the above example, it's like

NES - .
PS1 - o
PS5 - O
CRT - .
Monitor - o
4kHD - O

There will be at LEAST one of you that will grasp what I'm asking here :) The rest can make fun of me in the rickshaw... that'd be terrific <3

Blergh, multi-quote isn't working so I'm posting a bunch in a row like Foler.

Lot of people here suggesting budget TVs, but I'm gonna recommend against that. Getting a powerful TV that'll last you ten years is much less of a waste than getting a discount one that won't maximize the potential of the PS5. The $1000-1500 range is usually sufficient. LG OLED is absolutely the way to go. I've got a Sony 4K 55'' TV in one room and an LG 4K 55'' TV in another room, both cost around $1500 each, and the LG blows away the Sony in picture quality. Put it on credit or something, Best Buy lets you pay over 18 months with no interest which is pretty nice.

The visual jump between PS4 and PS5 might be the smallest of any console generation but it's certainly noticeable depending on the TV. PS5 games are much more detailed and breathtaking on the LG than PS4 games. Yet on the Sony TV, the gap isn't that big.

Another thing is the TV size. The bigger the TV, the more stuff like 4K matters. Anything under 47'' and 1080p / 4K don't look that different. At 55'' like my TVs, 1080p starts losing a good amount of ground while 4K loses absolutely nothing. On 65'', 1080p starts to look more like a 720p PS3 game while 4K still holds strong. I assume that 75''+ probably start to lose 4K fidelity which is where 8K would actually have a reason to exist (I doubt 8K would make any difference on my 55'' displays).

So basically... get a really solid LG OLED with HDR10 or whatever the latest HDR is, plug in the PS5, marvel at how much better it looks than PS4. 55'' is an optimal size for these systems for maximum effect. Doing this wil also pull up the visual quality of PS4 games, both through the TV and through whatever enhancements the PS5 offers for that particular game. I'll say this: Last-gen when I played Bloodborne on PS4, I tested it on both TVs and on the LG it looked like I'd jumped a half-generation to PS4.5 or something. It was that big of a difference.

• 1Like

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
The visual jump between PS4 and PS5 might be the smallest of any console generation but it's certainly noticeable depending on the TV.
This is where my mind was basically floating at, yeah, just wanted confirmation from you guys. Thx!!! I dunno when or where it'll happen, but I look forward to seeing a PS5 game the way it was meant to be displayed.

It's wild to think that we went from Pong's giant pixel by pixel gaming to photo-realistic gaming (skirting the edges of it at least right now but we're still young!) in one lifetime.

My (our?) generation (40+) is truly the gaming generation that saw it all happen. Amazing :emoji_ok_hand:

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
This is where my mind was basically floating at, yeah, just wanted confirmation from you guys. Thx!!! I dunno when or where it'll happen, but I look forward to seeing a PS5 game the way it was meant to be displayed.

It's wild to think that we went from Pong's giant pixel by pixel gaming to photo-realistic gaming (skirting the edges of it at least right now but we're still young!) in one lifetime.

My (our?) generation (40+) is truly the gaming generation that saw it all happen. Amazing :emoji_ok_hand:

Yeah, I was just telling people yesterday how lucky we are (mid-30's) to have grown up precisely when we did, at one of the very few times in human history when none of the major powers were at war with each other, and during the advent of the NES+ for games. Like there's no better time to have grown up than 1980+...I think. People have told me that the 1950's were pretty great in their own way, as well.

spronk

FPS noob
I gamed every day for 2-3 hours on my PS4, i'm playing less on my PS5 now due to holiday times but the big leap is

- 60 fps. its nice how pretty much all games run at 60 fps, even older PS4 games. i honestly don't notice the huge difference but everything just feels smoother
- faster load times. i had gotten used to "ok, i'll start this game, go make some coffee, by the time i come back it'll be ready to press X". thats now 5-10 secs instead. It is hilarious in Call of Duty though, every multiplayer game is load instantly into a map and then wait 20 seconds on scoreboard screen while ps4/xb1 gamers load in. Running at 60 fps is great though, when I upgrade my TV and stuff next year I imagine 120 fps will not neat but not as huge a jump.

yeah, graphics are better but honestly nowhere near the leap was from PS3 to PS4, i remember playing Assassins Creed Black Flag on my friends 360 and then playing it on my own PS4 at launch and it was a night and day difference in jaggies, resolution, lighting, everything. I'm playing Demon Souls now and its nice but I saw basically the same thing with Uncharted 4 or RDR2, its not "blowing me away".

it is upgrading your CPU, GPU, and SSD on a pc. which is nice.

• 1Barf

Vorph

The new SSDs really shine a light on how irritating unskippable start-up videos, logos, and warnings are. Before, you knew the game was doing stuff in the background and it didn't really matter (aside from peak asshattery like Division 2's obsession with epilepsy) but now it annoys me even more than it has on PC for the past few years. And at least you can usually get rid of it all on PC (again, unless you're dealing with asshats like Massive who make sure to pack that shit away in an encrypted archive).

• 1Like