Playstation Plus+

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah but for some reason i see it costing more than PS+. I mean some of those games were $3 for 4hours? Thats kinda ridiculous - and the 3 days price were something you'd see on blockbuster physical media.
My presumption for subscription is that it'll be something like PS+ pricing a month honestly and since it needs PS+ to function, basically doubling your PS+ rate. So you'd have to be doing 2 games a month to really break even on the cost if my presumption is accurate.

Even Music Unlimited they put the yearly sub on sale around PS+ pricing pretty frequently even though it's $120/yr normally.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
The pricing is pretty ridiculous and the selection in the beta so far has been underwhelming. Also: why would I want to "rent" Final Fantasy for 3 hours? That's not even enough to get a sense of the game. Besides, it's hard to see the fun of rushing through a game like that. At this point, it's way cheaper to buy a PS3 and the game -- you can just resell the game without much/any loss in value and the PS3 will pay for itself within 2 years or so at the likely subscription rate. Never mind that it retains some resale value as well.

Column_sl

shitlord
My guess is thats why they denied the EA rental thing, because they don't want to compete with there built in shitty service.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
The pricing is pretty ridiculous and the selection in the beta so far has been underwhelming. Also: why would I want to "rent" Final Fantasy for 3 hours? That's not even enough to get a sense of the game. Besides, it's hard to see the fun of rushing through a game like that. At this point, it's way cheaper to buy a PS3 and the game -- you can just resell the game without much/any loss in value and the PS3 will pay for itself within 2 years or so at the likely subscription rate. Never mind that it retains some resale value as well.
Yeah I think it's pretty obvious that they are not designing this to have people one off rentals and purchases/streams. They will jack up the pricing on games across the board, then come out with a $29.99 per month subscription fee which includes unlimited streaming of all games in the library. Psychological marketing. I am guessing there will also be a tie in with PS Plus at some point.

It will probably work too.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
$5-10 a month. They will sell it as a package deal with PS+. Their goal will be to get a high attach rate, not gouge a small segment.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
$5-10 a month. They will sell it as a package deal with PS+. Their goal will be to get a high attach rate, not gouge a small segment.
Lol if you think it's not going to be upward of $20 on top of ps plus you're trippy. Do you see the cost of a game for just a few days alone? You honestly think they are going to make it just 5-10 more monthly with ps plus? You're championing sony way to strong if you believe that.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Lol if you think it's not going to be upward of $20 on top of ps plus you're trippy. Do you see the cost of a game for just a few days alone? You honestly think they are going to make it just 5-10 more monthly with ps plus? You're championing sony way to strong if you believe that.
A random prediction isn't championing. Stop being a faggot. Everybody in this thread is completely guessing; nobody has any idea.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
GameFly is $16/mo. for one game at a time, and $23/mo. for two.

For PSNow, I'd expect $15-20 for PS+ members but based on the absurd prices they've been using throughout closed beta (and that are apparently going to be unchanged going into open beta) something utterly retarded like $25-30 a month would not surprise me in the least.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I think their goal is to go after gamestop but their current offering is so anemic its hard to see that.

If they want to go after gamestop then they need to have a price close to or lower than what they offer and have close to the same selection. I saw an article that they were looking at an all you can eat sub so it certainly is in the plans.

I think for many people, if you charged $30 a month and offered truly unlimited games with maybe 2 on your machine at a time you would get a fuck ton of people to sign up. Deal with the publishers and say "ok we pay you a flat rate of x per person that downloads the game" that rate would be on the low side and then rate goes up based on what percent of the game they complete.

I'd guess most people don't finish games they play. I would also guess that many would jump on an all you can eat plan and likely many wouldn't blow through tons of games (finishing them that is) so costs per person might actually be low enough to justify it.

The real money is in sub fees. If Sony can pull it off it could be awesome for them. Right now it is total garbage.

DeadAgain!?_sl

shitlord
The best part of of the old PlayStation was the backwards compatibility. Now I sit here with a 400 system, with little to no game selection, or I can rent a shit selection of games for a lot of money.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think their goal is to go after gamestop but their current offering is so anemic its hard to see that.

If they want to go after gamestop then they need to have a price close to or lower than what they offer and have close to the same selection. I saw an article that they were looking at an all you can eat sub so it certainly is in the plans.

I think for many people, if you charged $30 a month and offered truly unlimited games with maybe 2 on your machine at a time you would get a fuck ton of people to sign up. Deal with the publishers and say "ok we pay you a flat rate of x per person that downloads the game" that rate would be on the low side and then rate goes up based on what percent of the game they complete.

I'd guess most people don't finish games they play. I would also guess that many would jump on an all you can eat plan and likely many wouldn't blow through tons of games (finishing them that is) so costs per person might actually be low enough to justify it.

The real money is in sub fees. If Sony can pull it off it could be awesome for them. Right now it is total garbage.
You don't download the games, unless I'm missing something.

You can also rake the publishers over the coals price wise since, otherwise, they would never see a dime from the used market.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Really? The best part?
At the start of the life cycle, I'd agree that the backwards compatibility was one of the best features. That or the region free blu-ray that enabled importing games, saving $20-30 per game (only a valid point in Europe as games are more expensive here).

I had a lot of PS2 games that I continued to play on the PS3. Took a while until the PS3 got a library to where PS2 games no longer were in rotation. Story repeats itself now that I have a PS4 with the destiny beta pre-order, and no other games for it. Since the PS4 games are so expensive, I'm not going to buy them at random either.

When you have hardly any games for a gaming console, the ability to utilize the previous generations library comes rather high up in wanted features. I haven't turned on my PS4 since the Destiny beta ended.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
When you have hardly any games for a gaming console, the ability to utilize the previous generations library comes rather high up in wanted features. I haven't turned on my PS4 since the Destiny beta ended.
So play the PS3 games on your PS3. Backwards compatibility, while convenient, is hardly a 'must have' or 'best' feature. If you never owned a PS3, then buy that instead of the PS4 which has no games.