Podcasts Misc

Antilles

Idiot Savaunt
I still listen to Carolla's main show and the one he does with Drew, but both are skipped more and more frequently these days. Same goes with Alison Rosen's pod, and with Rogan's. Todd Glass, WTF and Nerdist are all good but also guest dependent for me.

You Made It Weird w/ Pete Holmes is good and I only separate it out because I don't recall it being mentioned before, but it's another long form show that can drag on if the guest isn't compelling.

If you're into Comedy Bang Bang you should also check out U Talkin' U2 To Me?. It's Scott and Adam Scott talking about their love for U2 except for that most of the show ends up being them bullshitting and dropping into different other podcasts they pretend to do. There are only 20 so it's not too overbearing. They did a special episode called Staind Glass where Todd Glass was a guest and they talked about Staind which was hilarious. I can't stand U2 but the show rules.

In the same vein, Scott did a pod with Harris Wittels (RIP) called Analyze Phish. It's all about Harris, the consummate Phish fan, trying to talk Scott into liking them too. It gets pretty real at times with a lot of the drug talk, which could be a bummer given Harris' drug problem and how that unfortunately played out. Good show with a lot of laughs though.

If you're on the CBB train then you likely heard the recent episode with the guys from Hollywood Handbook. That show is a must listen and along with Who Charted, has quickly become one of my favorites. Prior to Hollywood Handbook, the guys did a show called The Reality SHOW Show. That ran for 39 and is fairly easy to breeze through as they typically are about an hour long, much like HH.

CBB fave Lauren Lapkus has a show now too, With Special Guest Lauren Lapkus, where each week the guest is actually the host and they are playing characters. Andy Daly's episode was classic, and actually was making fun of U Talkin' U2 To Me?.

Not comedy related but if you're a fan of The Get Up Kids, Matt Pryor does a show 1-2 times a month where he interviews different bands/musicians. That can be good as well although I'll typically only download if I'm familiar with the artist.

And yes, Pocket Casts is the way to go.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I am actually into it. Different people say different things. The official Pentagon line differs from that of the soldiers who were in the unit. So it would be good to get some, hopefully unbiased, investigation.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I just hope it has a better ending than "Was he guilty? Who knows?".

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
So it looks like the Grantland NFLpodcastis intentionally trolling ESPN now. After two weeks off the air the first thing they did was wish the 4 editors who left grantland best wishes, as they got in trouble for it in thepodcasttwo weeks ago prompting the kerfluffle. Then had Rembert Brown ( another guy who left) talk about the falcons for 20 minutes.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
So has anyone else who listened to Serial, listened to the Undisclosedpodcast? I realize they are actually paid by Adnan's trust, that was apparently setup to try and exonerate him, but they come up with some very compelling evidence of his innocence.

I will say that almost from the beginning, I just didn't think he did it. The motive to me seemed so thin, and there was literally no proof outside the shady guy Jay and his ever changing story. To me it simply didn't add up, especially not enough to convict the kid.

Anyway, I'm just curious to hear others thoughts on it. I am only about halfway through, but some of the things they have brought up seem to completely destroy the states case against him. Again, maybe that is just them being good lawyers, but they sure seem to present it as fact

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Lately I've been listening to a lot of:

Lore- Shortpodcastabout the history behind folklore. Aaron Mahnke is a really good story teller, at least to me. And the episodes are short so not a ton of investment.

Answer Me This- Been on forever in the UK but I only heard about it because of listening to Helen Zaltzman onThe Allusionist. Allusionist is about the history of words and agian, very short listen, but she adds some good humor surrounding word origins. One of the hosts, Martin, actually has apodcastabout Tom Waits where they're doing a listen of the whole back catalog calledSong by Song. So if you're a Tom Waits nut you may be in to that.

My wife listens toMystery Showwhich is a newerpodcastfrom Gimlet, the company followed inStartUp, which was actually really cool the 1st season. Mystery Show is okay, but honestly the hosts voice is super grating. I can't really deal with radio personalities with unique or quirky voices. Maybe it is a personal thing. But the episodeCase #3 Belt Bucklewas actually a great listen.

Criminalis not bad. Originally I think we found it b/c someone billed it as sort of like Serial, but it really isn't. They've covered some interesting murders though.Episode 2: Pants on Fireis a really good episode on lie detectors and a potentially more reliable way that is being used to determine if people are telling the truth.

There are some more I'll try to remember since we're doing a lot of traveling for Thanksgiving. We'll be stuck in the car with hours to kill.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I started listening to Lore and I just couldn't get into it. I will have to give it another shot.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Alison Rosen Is Your New Best Friend by Alison Rosen on iTunes

Kind of a differentpodcastbut I really like it. There are two episodes a week. The first is a long-form interview. She doesn't always get the greatest guests but she is a good interviewer and really gets them to open up. Then the second show is just basically 5 people sitting around shooting the shit. They talk about their lives, families, etc. and it's the exact kind of conversation you would have with a few good friends over a couple beers. Sounds boring as hell to describe it but I laugh harder at thispodcastthan any other show I listen to including some featuring comedians. It might take a few episodes to get to know everybody but this is probably one of my top 3 favorite podcasts right now.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Have we not mentionedSpontaneanationyet? Paul F. Tompkins' very own interview/improvpodcast. PFT is the best guest for any comedypodcast(along with Kumail Nanjiani and Andy Daly). Spontaneanation has 2 distinct parts each episode. The first part is a "free form interview" with one celebrity. The previous guest will leave a question for the next guest(blind, not knowing who the guest will be). PFT asks the question and they have a conversation starting there that always veers off in to weird and hilarious directions.Episode 9 with Michael Sheenwas particularly hilarious in this department, that dude is great.

After the interview they do a break, during which the guest will tell Paul a location. The rest of the show will be Paul and 3 other improv experts(you'll probably recognize a few from TV and other things) acting out a scene at that location, with things pulled from the interview thrown in to great effect. If you're a fan of "breaking" in sketch type shows it gets especially fun. They take a lot of delight in tripping each other up or just pointing out(in character) stupid things someone says. They're never full on Jimmy Falloning it, but there's a lot of off-mic laughter when this shit happens and it's hard not to laugh along.

"The Student Lounge at A Performing Arts High School" turns in to a full Hamlet situation with children trying to murder each other on stage at the behest of Nick Nolte. Every episode gets equally ridiculous.

It was a little shaky for the first episode or two maybe, but it found it's stride very quickly and it's fucking hilarious now.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Have we not mentionedSpontaneanationyet? Paul F. Tompkins' very own interview/improvpodcast. PFT is the best guest for any comedypodcast(along with Kumail Nanjiani and Andy Daly). Spontaneanation has 2 distinct parts each episode. The first part is a "free form interview" with one celebrity. The previous guest will leave a question for the next guest(blind, not knowing who the guest will be). PFT asks the question and they have a conversation starting there that always veers off in to weird and hilarious directions.Episode 9 with Michael Sheenwas particularly hilarious in this department, that dude is great.

After the interview they do a break, during which the guest will tell Paul a location. The rest of the show will be Paul and 3 other improv experts(you'll probably recognize a few from TV and other things) acting out a scene at that location, with things pulled from the interview thrown in to great effect. If you're a fan of "breaking" in sketch type shows it gets especially fun. They take a lot of delight in tripping each other up or just pointing out(in character) stupid things someone says. They're never full on Jimmy Falloning it, but there's a lot of off-mic laughter when this shit happens and it's hard not to laugh along.

"The Student Lounge at A Performing Arts High School" turns in to a full Hamlet situation with children trying to murder each other on stage at the behest of Nick Nolte. Every episode gets equally ridiculous.

It was a little shaky for the first episode or two maybe, but it found it's stride very quickly and it's fucking hilarious now.
I Keep up with Spontaneanation. It's great. It is an easier show to do than Superego and the Pod F Thompkast. Which were similar in style.

But the Grantland NFLpodcastnow has no hope of coming back....and Nerd Poker just ended its run
.. I have to come up with 4 hours a week ofpodcasttime. I have Tony Kornheizer picking up the slack right now.....but that shit is rough.

joz123

Potato del Grande
Only podcasts I listen to regularly now are CAGcast, Artie Quitter, Gilbert Gottfried's Amazing ColossalPodcast, Bill Burr and The Anthony Cumia Show.