Pokemans and how to catch them with your phone - friend codes in OP

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm still only seeing the announcement and no more details on all my sources.

1 per 10 would be a joke. I couldn't even evolve my starter pokemon into its second form at that point judging by my jogger stat.

They could tie it to egg distance if they're going for the really cruel one. get a pidgey candy every 2 km or a dratini candy every 10... that would at least "balance" that feature.

Last edited:

wat

Golden Knight of the Realm
Did they really confirm it's 10km per candy? That's fucking ridiculous, even 5km per candy would be pretty harsh.

There's some screenshots floating around showing a Charmander with a 2km counter.

Beyond that I don't think people know anything concrete. All pokemon could be 2km, or maybe they're tied to the type of egg they hatch from. Once you reach the goal you could get 1 candy or 5. Nobody know shit.

SXMsD6E.jpg

Chris

Potato del Grande
I've read on Reddit that Ghastly spawn in the UK during the daytime. People speculated that's because it's not based on local time but one set time per continent, or even one set time for the entire world.

There's just not that much research into Day/Night spawns yet.
That's interesting, thinking about it I think they do show up in the late afternoon, so perhaps they used a more central timezone for european night time. We also have daylight savings time which I don't think other euros have.

I was sure that moon stone pokemon show up more around full moon on the 15th but was told that the date doesn't quite match up, maybe they just chose a day for that too.

Tech limitations?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's such a trivial detail that I seriously doubt they implemented anything at all to do with the time of day affecting spawns.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
So 2k pokemon are 1km per candy, 5k pokemon are 2km per candy, and 10k pokemon are 3km per candy. Except the 3 starters, who are 2k pokemon but treated like 5k for the buddy system.

So basically only a complete moron would buddy an Eeveelution. For battling purposes looks like the best pokemon to buddy will be jigglypuff, exeggcute, lapras, and snorlax. I'd say bulbasaur, oddish, bellsprout, and slowbro would be your next tier of value. I'd actually consider dratini a terrible candidate for buddying unless you desperately need the candy. 1 candy per 3km means you need to walk 375km for enough candy to evolve a dratini to a dragonite with no candy left for powering it up. Dratini aren't actually that hard to farm if you have any kind of access to a water biome and the patience to grind them out, whereas trying to farm Lapras or Snorlax candy via wild catches is a pipe dream.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Buddy Pokémon will appear alongside your Trainer avatar on your profile screen, adding helpful bonuses such as awarding Candy for walking together. You’ll also have the ability to change your Buddy Pokémon at any time.
Not going to switch my snoring buddy anytime. He'll complain, but if he's nice, I'll feed him that candy back...

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
How does that work? Every time I clear a gym, it's only level 2.
Actually, it's level 1. But it gains 2000 prestige when you stick a Pokemon in it, so the first pokemon raises it to 2 (2000/4000), and the second Pokemon to 3 (4000/8000). Sticking a third pokemon isn't enough to raise it all the way to 4, so that's when you start training.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Actually, it's level 1. But it gains 2000 prestige when you stick a Pokemon in it, so the first pokemon raises it to 2 (2000/4000), and the second Pokemon to 3 (4000/8000). Sticking a third pokemon isn't enough to raise it all the way to 4, so that's when you start training.

Man, I am amazed every time by how well they understand social play.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm gonna walk my Electabuzz. All the ones you just listed I don't even have at a high level.

Gen 1 electric pokemon are complete trash, and on top of that electabuzz is 3km per candy. At least buddy a pokemon whose candy will be useful once you do have a high IV one you want to evolve/power up.

If you don't have a snorlax or lapras, at least buddy an exeggcute. Exeggutor is the best all around pokemon in the game. It has no hard counter and has no bad moves which means any high level exeggcute with decent IVs you find can be evolved into a solid attacker/defender even without being powered up.

Last edited:

Sterling

El Presidente
yep, don't have those either.
You don't have any Snorlax, Exeggcute, Jigglypuff/wigglytuff, oddish, bulbasaur, or anything like that at all? doesn't really have to be high level you just want the candies to level them at some point.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
Spent awhile today at a park on the shore of Lake Erie. I caught a bunch of Magikarp but no Dratinis. I also spent half an hour sitting in the middle of a triple lured pokestop area. It was very productive but extremely boring...

Tomorrow I'm going to try a different park where I caught my first 3 Dratinis and see if I can get lucky again.

I still plan to use him as my walking buddy. It can be a long term goal to get a Dragonite.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I've also never seen a Ghastly during the day.

If you're looking for a definitive answer, it doesn't exist. This is the best you are going to get.

Do the work, watch the spawns yourself, and you'll get a feel for what spawns when. If you want Dratini, they are a rare spawn from any water spawn spot. Go to a place with a river or a lake and lots of pokemon activity and you will find them. I've never seen any evidence that time of day affects Dratini spawns.
I've seen ghastlys during the day at work.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think I'm gonna save up a full screen of 10k eggs to hatch at once just for lulz. I figure by the time I actually have 9 10k eggs I'll be back to a full array of incubators anyway.

Sterling

El Presidente
I think I'm gonna save up a full screen of 10k eggs to hatch at once just for lulz. I figure by the time I actually have 9 10k eggs I'll be back to a full array of incubators anyway.
I've had 7 10 km eggs before. have had 9 of each of the others at various points. When I had 9 2s I even cooked one in a 3 shot incubator, which feels bad. I get an incubator every other day or so from gym money, I'd probably be a lot further ahead than I am if I actually bought some incubators with actual cash heh.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I'd probably be a lot further ahead than I am if I actually bought some incubators with actual cash heh.
I walk around enough that a 3-shot incubator lasts 2 days, so I only keep one for any 10km egg that pops, and any other gets immediately used on 5km ones.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
No Lapras or Lickitung on my 14 hour camp so far, but enough squirtle and abras to take them off the list.

Also picked up 3 hitmonlee, a hitmonchan and a 100% level 15 dratini so day not wasted so far

5 to go