Pokemans and how to catch them with your phone - friend codes in OP

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
So I think my turn off with this game, especially as someone who min/maxes a lot, is that geography determines your gaming experience. Someone who just happens to live or work next to a Pokestop has a massively different (and I'd say more fun) gaming experience than someone who has to travel a mile+ to one or the nearest gym. I foresee myself running out of balls soon, and that means either spending money, or hours of my time sitting around some Pokestops on the weekend.

It's one of those things where no matter how much I were to play, I'd never get remotely close to some of the city dwellers. Now, granted, I'm technically "playing" against my local community who has the same constraints (although, the side of town I live on is devoid of anything, whereas 1-2 miles inward is much better), so it's not as bad, I still get regular reminders about how I'll never compare to everyone else due to the pervasiveness of the internet.
This is my thought as well.. Wife works at a college and hits 2 stops from her desk - she came home today with hundreds of balls, potions etc. I'm out and have little desire to drive around hunting that stuff. Game would rule in like Boston, San Fran etc though

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
??? CP scyther appeared in my living room. Waste 6 raspberries and he breaks out of 6 great balls and gets away. Pretty devastated right now.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
This is my thought as well.. Wife works at a college and hits 2 stops from her desk - she came home today with hundreds of balls, potions etc. I'm out and have little desire to drive around hunting that stuff. Game would rule in like Boston, San Fran etc though
Same as how i feel about it. Nothing near work, and about a mile from my house to the nearest poke stop and gym. I don't really have time to leave the house to stock up on stops and actually fight shit at the gym, and my normal weekday schedule doesn't get me anywhere. That coupled with all of the infuriating bugs makes this a no go for me I guess

Chopxsticks_sl

shitlord
So I think my turn off with this game, especially as someone who min/maxes a lot, is that geography determines your gaming experience. Someone who just happens to live or work next to a Pokestop has a massively different (and I'd say more fun) gaming experience than someone who has to travel a mile+ to one or the nearest gym. I foresee myself running out of balls soon, and that means either spending money, or hours of my time sitting around some Pokestops on the weekend.

It's one of those things where no matter how much I were to play, I'd never get remotely close to some of the city dwellers. Now, granted, I'm technically "playing" against my local community who has the same constraints (although, the side of town I live on is devoid of anything, whereas 1-2 miles inward is much better), so it's not as bad, I still get regular reminders about how I'll never compare to everyone else due to the pervasiveness of the internet.
Ya, the pain is real.. I live in Albany but commute to Salem. The shear difference is CP Pokemon holding Gyms is amazing. I see someone in Albany with an 870, and I see hope, I get to work in Salem, and CP 1500 all over the place. The waterfront downtown has hundreds of people gathering on weekends. Pokestops so dense you can lure 3-4 and chill within reach of each one. At home I have 2 within several blocks of walking...

Hachima

Molten Core Raider

Its more like you are going to play against PC users/rooted device users. The video from the PC gamer article also works for rooted devices. So its easy to fake your GPS and unless you do it blatantly you can go to the prime spots where sitting in 1 spot gets you 3+ pokestops that are fully charged.

I can tell someone is doing that at the gym next to my house. I was able to look up the persons online profile based on the nickname they use and know its a 25yr old software developer that would certainly be competent enough to root their device. Within a few days of release they were lvl 18 and had taken over a few of the gyms in the area.

It's kind of too bad but these power users will likely die off quickly. Regardless of the easy cheating its still fun to go out with the kids to collect some Pokemon I think. I've seen a lot of parents going by my house (there is a park that is foot access only nearby) Some kids even touting a real pokeball on them. It's been a bit funny as both myself and others hide away their phones as we approach each other to then bring them back out later. I can tell they are a bit embarrassed to be seen playing the game.

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
Started playing this last night.. Saw some rustled leaves and a poke stop at a Synagogue down the street. Went there at 2 am and there were 3 random people there talking and making jokes about how many Zubats they were catching. A+

Today I played a bunch around DC..
Scientology building had a lure and 3 poke stops, got a poliwhirl, seadra and 2 meowths!. also the National Geographic HQ down the street had the same and had at least 10 people standing around playing and chatting.
Some bars put up lures and have gyms in range... or are gyms. More popular places like Dupont Circle were packed, with 3+ lures going at once.

People were pretty much playing everywhere and were so happy and eager(!) to talk to everyone who even looked like they were playing. I talked to so many random people, It was tons of fun for day-drinking on a day off.

.. The game itself could obviously be much better. But this was fun.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Its more like you are going to play against PC users/rooted device users. The video from the PC gamer article also works for rooted devices. So its easy to fake your GPS and unless you do it blatantly you can go to the prime spots where sitting in 1 spot gets you 3+ pokestops that are fully charged.

I can tell someone is doing that at the gym next to my house. I was able to look up the persons online profile based on the nickname they use and know its a 25yr old software developer that would certainly be competent enough to root their device. Within a few days of release they were lvl 18 and had taken over a few of the gyms in the area.
The gym part is one thing, but just the fact that I can barely play the "catching" part of the game due to geography while some people can sit at work hitting a Pokestop every 5 minutes is kind of a buzz kill. It's like lucky geography to win, instead of pay to win (or rather, unlucky geography). I'm not saying it'd be more fun to have the work situation, but it's pretty shit to live so far from anything that the game is barely playable.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
The gym part is one thing, but just the fact that I can barely play the "catching" part of the game due to geography while some people can sit at work hitting a Pokestop every 5 minutes is kind of a buzz kill. It's like lucky geography to win, instead of pay to win (or rather, unlucky geography). I'm not saying it'd be more fun to have the work situation, but it's pretty shit to live so far from anything that the game is barely playable.
Same thing with the pokestops. People with rooted devices set their location to central park NYC or wherever and rack in the stops while sitting at home.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Rural areas you'll have to make special journies to play. 3+ lured locations get you so many pokemon that I stopped playing in my suburb as much with stops every minutes or so.

rinthe_sl

shitlord
Ok, so I set up the pc emulator and gps spoofer like in that video and can now farm pokemons in central park while being at my pc on the other side of the world.

However, this isn't good enough. Because I still have to actually catch them. Anyone know of anywhere/way I can look at for getting a bot to catch them?

fwiw gpsies.com is good for automating a route. don't think I read about that here yet.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ok, so I set up the pc emulator and gps spoofer like in that video and can now farm pokemons in central park while being at my pc on the other side of the world.

However, this isn't good enough. Because I still have to actually catch them. Anyone know of anywhere/way I can look at for getting a bot to catch them?

fwiw gpsies.com is good for automating a route. don't think I read about that here yet.
Working on it. Give me a few days.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
Started playing this last night.. Saw some rustled leaves and a poke stop at a Synagogue down the street. Went there at 2 am and there were 3 random people there talking and making jokes about how many Zubats they were catching. A+

Today I played a bunch around DC..
Scientology building had a lure and 3 poke stops, got a poliwhirl, seadra and 2 meowths!. also the National Geographic HQ down the street had the same and had at least 10 people standing around playing and chatting.
Some bars put up lures and have gyms in range... or are gyms. More popular places like Dupont Circle were packed, with 3+ lures going at once.

People were pretty much playing everywhere and were so happy and eager(!) to talk to everyone who even looked like they were playing. I talked to so many random people, It was tons of fun for day-drinking on a day off.

.. The game itself could obviously be much better. But this was fun.
Old Town Alexandria Waterfront = crowd doesn't disperse until around 2am. Not sure if this is a good thing, but there were cops out patrolling on foot just because there is never that many people out that time of night. Yep, our cops are out protecting Pok?mon Go players from muggers at 2am. But they were nice to talk to and were actually into it.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Working on it. Give me a few days.
I just lost any motivation to ever play this very seriously. Not that I had any to begin with, its ok for whenever I'm out and about for now. Not sure how long I'll actually care about it. Obviously more features would help.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
This isn't a game you're supposed to play seriously. There's a few intentional modalities that are very enjoyable if you pursue them.

1. Walking around different locations catching pokebros.
2. Walking with a group of people smashing gyms.

If you're trying to be the best you had better live/work in an area that has pokestops. If you aren't, don't worry about it. My workplace has one near us, but only available to a few offices. I'm thinking about moving...

I'm enjoying walking and jogging around my suburb with one pokestop. I'm not sure what I'll do when I get high enough level and have no great balls.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Never played Pokemon before but gave it a shot since it's all the news these days. Ran out of Pokeballs on day 2 and nothing nearby to replenish. Guess I'm done. Game's not worth doing gps spoofing or whatever. I can see the appeal and think it's a great kids game but wish it did a couple things differently.

I don't like that you need to keep interacting with the screen to make progress. Was hoping just walking/running/biking would allow you to gain *something*.
As it is, the game does a good job getting you outdoors, but then you're stopping every 5 feet. Not really worth it for *real* active users. When I'm going for a walk/run/bike I don't want to be interrupted.

Seems really buggy, even on Galaxy 7, freezes a lot, losing progress.

Cool concept though.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Old Town Alexandria Waterfront = crowd doesn't disperse until around 2am. Not sure if this is a good thing, but there were cops out patrolling on foot just because there is never that many people out that time of night. Yep, our cops are out protecting Pok?mon Go players from muggers at 2am. But they were nice to talk to and were actually into it.
I mean Olde Town. Not like the cops have much to do im that area except when there are races or events.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Is it worth evolving any ol' pokemon or should you wait for a high cp one?
Up to you, but if you're trying to be efficient it's best to hit the soft cap of level 20, then save your stardust for high CP pokemon you catch. The CP of pokemon you catch is highly dependent on trainer level.