Pokemans and how to catch them with your phone - friend codes in OP

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Until I see more evidence I think this is bullshit.
A gym that wasn't in my town yesterday popped up today. They are tweaking things it seems. They have a whole bunch of data now that they can fine tune under served area's. It's just going to take sometime for them to fine tune literally everywhere.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
just look at all the twitch streams. All people on their PCs, using GPS emulating software to move their thing around.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Those are boring as shit. Watch Witwix actually walk around and talk shit to people, it's amazing.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
A gym that wasn't in my town yesterday popped up today. They are tweaking things it seems. They have a whole bunch of data now that they can fine tune under served area's. It's just going to take sometime for them to fine tune literally everywhere.
Cool. How confident are you that the gym wasn't there before? How many times did you visit that area before it spawned?

I'm glad to hear they're tweaking things. The locations of the pokestops definitely seem randomly generated and tweaking and changing the location would improve it.

There's so much they can do with this game, I hope they get ambitious with the feature set as they improve features.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Supposedly twitch doesn't like it either when you stream yourself cheating.

There's twitch partners with hundreds to thousands of viewers streaming from their apartment, spoofing GPS on stream to boot. And anyone who points it out gets banned.

Gonna be some people showing up at the unemployment office next week I hope.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The pokestops are not randomly generated. They are a cut and paste from Ingress.

You can submit for an Ingress portal but there is a criteria for it:Candidate Portal criteria Ingress Help
You're right, they're not random. I don't know much about ingress but it seems driven by the XM Pool which is based on cell usage, no? I'm just saying that if they use user-feedback and tweak the locations around it might be better. Ex: It'd be better if the pokestop near me is in the park instead of in the church near me.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Cheating at Pokemon Go Will Get You an Hour-Long Ban - IGN

Hopefully they become permanent. GPS spoofing is lame as fuck and I hope you guys doing it feel bad (yeah right).
I wonder how they detect it. The ideas I had were:
1. Looking for ridiculous and obvious teleport behavior.
2. Look for suspicious looking GPS locations. Ex: if you spoofed your GPS and your location was steady with changing timestamps it'd be just as obvious as if you teleported to Manhattan.
3. Something invasive like how Blizzard's Warden works that detects rootkitted phones that have the GPS modification.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
20 million phones and climbing in the us......

if the rate of growth in use remains the same for the next week, it will pass google maps on usage per day.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
You're right, they're not random. I don't know much about ingress but it seems driven by the XM Pool which is based on cell usage, no? I'm just saying that if they use user-feedback and tweak the locations around it might be better. Ex: It'd be better if the pokestop near me is in the park instead of in the church near me.
it's both for ingress... I think I submitted 5 spots for ingress that were unlabeled parks. All of them were accepted and showed up as portals that could be hacked. Those same spots are now all pokestops. The gym thing is different and I'm not sure how they separated those out.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Guess I talked him out of the flightline maintenance shit, he dropped that with recruiter yesterday, kept sensor operator and other intel stuff and added some more techy shit to the list, I forget which. Said to just sign him up as soon as they have an opening on the list since he got the impression he could wait the full year of this delayed enlistment and still not see a sens op job and he just wants to get this thing moving at this point.

Talked to him about the realities of basic like people suggested which of course he thinks he's going to be able to hack it. Hopefully he's as serious as he seems about getting through and making something of this. Expecting he might get flown out as soon as the end of this month.
When he gets stationed in some shit hole, hopefully there's some pokestops there.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
When he gets stationed in some shit hole, hopefully there's some pokestops there.
Lol yeah he is in the wrong thread.

I will see what I can find out about how they detect GPS spoofing in Ingress. From what I remember there were people that were dumb and trying the spoofs out and got banned. Anyone with some common sense and skill though never had an issue.

I know when they went live on iOS they had jailbreak detection where the app wouldn't load. It was defeated quite easily. I chose a local place that I had been to before and set my location to that and booted up the app. Local IP so it didn't flag I bet.