Pokemans and how to catch them with your phone - friend codes in OP

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
That isn't taking in to account the attack animation speed on stuff. Hypno for example does 12 with confusion as his base, but it's slow as fuck and something like Electabuzz using low kick can get off like 2-3 of them before Hypno finishes the confusion animation.

The Evee evolutions are all god tier because their base attacks are 10 damage and still have the fastest animation set, so they are just a spamfest of rape damage.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
interesting.

edit:Optimal Moveset - Theory Discussion : pokemongo
Some things I've noticed:

There seems to be 2 different move speeds.
Some fast moves are insanely powerful, such as water gun, to the point where it's not worth using your special
Other moves are objectively bad, like thunder shock. It's half the damage of water gun!
Most of the slow moves don't seem to have the damage to make up for the power difference with fast ones.
The power difference in specials hardly makes up for the power difference in basic attacks.
The typing on some moves can make a big difference. Steel wing is 15 while wing attack is 12. However, gen 1 doesn't have a lot of pokemon weak to steel.

Basically, anything with a fast attack that does at least 8 damage is insane. Quick attack, water gun, etc.

Jx3

Riddle me this...
Two police departments that showed up on my Facebook, kinda cool to see them having fun with it.
rrr_img_136667.jpg

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
also two tips on catching I saw:
overview for LulusPix
I don't have any troubles catching Pokemon, and as time has gone by its gotten easier. Here's my tip. Learn the speed in which you need to move your finger to catch a Pokemon at x distance. Spam that motion as soon as the Pokemon shows up on your catching screen. It won't throw automatically but if you do it right it will throw as soon as it can. This gives a weird double curve ball that goes in one direction and then the other, usually left then right. It doesn't offer any special curve ball bonuses, but often automatically gets nice, or excellent catches and will always nab the Pokemon if you know the distance.
How to become a better Go Trainer - Pokemon GO Pro Forum
Catching Pokemon:
The game does a really poor job at explaining the catch system and how to get "bonus" likelihood of being successful. After catching hundreds of pokemon I have figured some things out.
First off, the circle. When you tap and hold your pokeball a circle will appear within the white circle which is the pokemon's hit box. The colour of the this circle gives you an idea of how likely you are to catch this particular pokemon. The circle will range from Green (easy) to Dark Red (very very hard).
Improving your chances:
The easiest thing to do (if available) is to use a Razz Berry and a high quality ball. The Razz berry increases your success chance on a capture for ONLY the next hit. The high quality ball is pretty self -explanatory.
You'?ll notice that as you hold down the pokeball the circle will get smaller and smaller until it resets and becomes as big as the white box again. This circle getting smaller is a double edged sword. If you are able to toss your pokeball through that circle you will get a bonus to your capture chance. If you toss it when the circle is big you'?ll get a small bonus. I you toss it when the circle is tiny you'll get a big bonus. BUT! You have to get it through the hole so unless you are very good at aiming you will miss the small hole and get no bonus at all when you could instead get a small bonus.
You'?ll know if you got a bonus because there is comment on the pokemon. For a small bonus it will say "?Nice!"? and for a large bonus it will say "?Excellent!"? with "Good"? and "?Great"? in between.
You will also gain bonus XP for performing a bonus chance catch. Putting spin on the ball also gives a very small amount of bonus chance and gives you a "?Curve ball"? bonus of 10 xp.

How to throw your ball:
Most people will do a lob throw. Holding their phone straight up and down (or close to it) and plopping the ball on the pokemon from above.
This throw is fine most of the time. It is a very forgiving throw because you can hit them anywhere from the toes to the top of the head and it will count as a hit.
However! Eventually you will run into some big mean stage 3 evolved pokemon who will actively repel pokeballs or the pokemon will back away from you farther than the lob throw can reach. Perhaps you've already seen Zubats do this to you.
When this happens you have to use a "?Line drive"? throw.
You perform a line drive by tilting your phone to be closer to horizontal about 30-45 degrees above horizontal. The velocity that the ball is released at depends on how far you drag your finger across the screen. So to optimize this distance you want to run your finger diagonally across the screen. Aim the corner of the phone just above your target'?s head. You should barely be able to see the edge of his image. Then quickly run your finger across the screen and you'?ll toss a pitch that these tough pokemon can'?t deflect and really get that ball out there to far away pokemon.
I would recommend practicing this throw before a legendary pokemon or ultra-rare pokemon shows up.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
You can cheat and play Pokémon Go on PC | Ars Technica

Lol I did that day one was a common sense move to use civic center and just be there all day/night when playing games/watching movies
I gave this a shot at lunch using the location in central park that the YouTube guy did.

It works pretty well, but it's kind of touchy. Like, when I first load in I can generally get the Pokestops, but after a while they just don't load. It's possible this is just due to general overloading of the servers though. Catching the Pokemon worked really well though. I'm not sure how it'd be once I have to try with harder ones (I just hit level 5, so they're all crap Pokemon). It's nice though, because there are 4 Pokestops you can hit up without moving if you get it just right, and all of them have lures. So it could be non-stop catching if you have the time.

I probably won't do it much, but it's good for me to get a little bit of catch-up since everything is so shit near my house (and my work is literally nothing for miles; apparently Pok?mon aren't allowed near a military base).

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Nice video. Looks like I may need to find a golf course for dragon Pokemon. I think the most exciting part of that is just thinking about a year or two in the future.

I feel like gaming over the next decade is going to be crazy fucking awesome.

rinthe_sl

shitlord
Nice video. Looks like I may need to find a golf course for dragon Pokemon. I think the most exciting part of that is just thinking about a year or two in the future.

I feel like gaming over the next decade is going to be crazy fucking awesome.
Yeah, P go is pretty ordinary, but I see 3 important things. It showcases the potential that further development will offer with augmented reality games and brings a massive, never before seen audience. The 3rd thing is this game just the beginning, think of it like WoW's beta with Elwyn Forrest, in 5 years it will be a complex & massive world.

Nintendo's stock price is up 7 or 8 billion in a week. That's the value that disney bought the star wars IP. Fucking crazy. With people seeing that kind of money on the line, there's going to be some crazy investments.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Ingress +DragoNav - Pokemon Go tool= easy way to identify where 1, 2, 3 foot range pokemon could be around you. My wife is getting pissed she hasn't been able to find a Vulpix around our place for a couple of days and I'm pretty sure it's hanging out at a burger king.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Ingress +DragoNav - Pokemon Go tool= easy way to identify where 1, 2, 3 foot range pokemon could be around you. My wife is getting pissed she hasn't been able to find a Vulpix around our place for a couple of days and I'm pretty sure it's hanging out at a burger king.
really don't trust that 3 step value, I think the 3 step value is much, much larger.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
There's like, 0 Pokestops convenient in my daily life, but shittons of Pokemon spawn on top of me at work so I'm down to 3 Pokeballs. Going to need to go out somewhere soon I guess >.>

There's a same-team gym right by my office, but when I went over to it, my only option was to fight? Is that how you bunker-in one of your Pokemon?

sebur

Bronze Squire
Unless I misinterpreted this, it says that as long as you power up your pokemon as much as you can it will be just as strong as others of the same species. I have two Vaporeons that are maxed out.

cp1980
weight 3.93kg (xs)
height .9m

cp2029
weight 1.44kg (xs)
height .94m
1. Are you sure they are maxed? As in one wasn't maxed then you leveled and maxed the other instead ( I believe leveling increases how much you can power them up if I remember correctly). 2. Assuming the first isn't true I have heard that there is certainly "stronger" versions but basically they all land in a range like say 100 CP of each other from worst to best. Your example certainly supports that so who knows at this point.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
really don't trust that 3 step value, I think the 3 step value is much, much larger.
It's based on REDDIT science, how dare you

There's a same-team gym right by my office, but when I went over to it, my only option was to fight? Is that how you bunker-in one of your Pokemon?
The gym was not high enough level then for you to leave an additional Pokemon. At that point you should have trained (fought) at that gym to raise its prestige, then leave your own Pokemon to help defend.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
There's like, 0 Pokestops convenient in my daily life, but shittons of Pokemon spawn on top of me at work so I'm down to 3 Pokeballs. Going to need to go out somewhere soon I guess >.>

when you fight (aka train) at a same-team gym it levels up. When it levels up more people can put pokemon in it. So if you see a level 1 gym, just go train once and chuck a pokemon in it.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
also two tips on catching I saw:
overview for LulusPix

Catching Pokemon:
The game does a really poor job at explaining the catch system and how to get "bonus" likelihood of being successful. After catching hundreds of pokemon I have figured some things out.
First off, the circle. When you tap and hold your pokeball a circle will appear within the white circle which is the pokemon's hit box. The colour of the this circle gives you an idea of how likely you are to catch this particular pokemon. The circle will range from Green (easy) to Dark Red (very very hard).
Improving your chances:
The easiest thing to do (if available) is to use a Razz Berry and a high quality ball. The Razz berry increases your success chance on a capture for ONLY the next hit. The high quality ball is pretty self -explanatory.
You'Tll notice that as you hold down the pokeball the circle will get smaller and smaller until it resets and becomes as big as the white box again. This circle getting smaller is a double edged sword. If you are able to toss your pokeball through that circle you will get a bonus to your capture chance. If you toss it when the circle is big you'Tll get a small bonus. I you toss it when the circle is tiny you'll get a big bonus. BUT! You have to get it through the hole so unless you are very good at aiming you will miss the small hole and get no bonus at all when you could instead get a small bonus.
You'Tll know if you got a bonus because there is comment on the pokemon. For a small bonus it will say "oNice!"? and for a large bonus it will say "oExcellent!"? with "Good"? and "oGreat"? in between.
You will also gain bonus XP for performing a bonus chance catch. Putting spin on the ball also gives a very small amount of bonus chance and gives you a "oCurve ball"? bonus of 10 xp.

How to throw your ball:
Most people will do a lob throw. Holding their phone straight up and down (or close to it) and plopping the ball on the pokemon from above.
This throw is fine most of the time. It is a very forgiving throw because you can hit them anywhere from the toes to the top of the head and it will count as a hit.
However! Eventually you will run into some big mean stage 3 evolved pokemon who will actively repel pokeballs or the pokemon will back away from you farther than the lob throw can reach. Perhaps you've already seen Zubats do this to you.
When this happens you have to use a "oLine drive"? throw.
You perform a line drive by tilting your phone to be closer to horizontal about 30-45 degrees above horizontal. The velocity that the ball is released at depends on how far you drag your finger across the screen. So to optimize this distance you want to run your finger diagonally across the screen. Aim the corner of the phone just above your target'Ts head. You should barely be able to see the edge of his image. Then quickly run your finger across the screen and you'Tll toss a pitch that these tough pokemon can'Tt deflect and really get that ball out there to far away pokemon.
I would recommend practicing this throw before a legendary pokemon or ultra-rare pokemon shows up.
How to become a better Go Trainer - Pokemon GO Pro Forum
I ran into a pidgeot that was so damn far I could barely hit it if I swiped my hardest. Afterward I switched to this method (use AR, rotate phone down, point it diagonally at pokemon, then swipe diagonally) I think it's easier to control but not sure yet. It's impossible to do a one handed swipe though, which is tough for me because I'm almost always carting my toddler around.