Pokemans and how to catch them with your phone - friend codes in OP

Column_sl

shitlord
This isn't just a fad; I hope it is the beginning of a new subset of games and digital possibilities.
Uhhh , this game type has been around for a couple years now it just took the Pokemon Go IP to get it national attention.
GPS games are nothing new. There was one I set up for my kid a couple years back where you were a spy, and it used locations around you for missions.

I agree with HODJ tho it's a fad with social media. Might last a month max with the all the obnoxious tweets with how ADD people are with games now. It's basically the Puzzle and Dragon's of GPS games.

Neph_sl

shitlord
Speaking of interactions, yesterday walking around a mall and the city I saw a ton of people playing, but didn't strike up conversations with them. Mainly smiles and knowing nods to those whose eyes weren't glued to their phones.

Neph_sl

shitlord
I agree with HODJ tho it's a fad. Might last a month max with how ADD people are with games now.
Probably. I could see upticks for feature updates and more Pokemon, but not to the levels of release week. Like any craze, it'll die down eventually and it's up to Niantic to keep the updates flowing to keep people interested.

Welcome to the new wave of MMOGs.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
Uhhh , this game type has been around for a couple years now it just took the Pokemon Go IP to get it national attention.
GPS games are nothing new. There was one I set up for my kid a couple years back where you were a spy, and it used locations around you for missions.

I agree with HODJ tho it's a fad. Might last a month max with how ADD people are with games now.
I think you are pulling out the wrong aspect of my statement. I understand geo caching and GPS games are nothing new. It was about what you said about national attention; perhaps this can push (mobile) gaming to another level with further development. This might not be a large technological leap, but it is in terms of the quantity of people exposed to it. Sure it took the Pok?mon IP. But every once in awhile you need a lynchpin like this to bring attention to it and take a giant leap forward in acceptance and usage. I'd make a WoW and MMO genre reference here but then I'd argue it was EQ and not WoW that did that
tongue.png

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Until you come up with a control scheme remotely as good as keyboard/mouse or controllers are, mobile development is going to remain relatively shallow.

I'd love to see some real depth in mobile games, and there a few games that do have real depth, but most of them are ports from other systems.

For the most part, while the idea of the touch screen seemed like it would revolutionize games, in my opinion, that innovation really hasn't happened in the ways one would hope.

Yes, the mobile market is making a lot of money, and bringing in a lot of otherwise more casual players (all good things), but the games are all so arcadey.

I dunno.

I'm very torn on the mobile gaming scene.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
I play one mobile game and it's Bleach: Brave Souls. It's your typical gashapon game that pits F2P with P2P players. It passes the time. It is surely nothing revolutionary. It makes a lot of money like many mobile games. But there isn't anything to it outside of pressing a few buttons a few times a day in between stuff. I like how many OTHER people are playing and if they can add trading and other interactive measure it separates itself from the same old boring shit. I know the majority of your mobile gamers go through games like they are disposable. It will be tough for Nia to keep evolving this into something sustainable and not a fad. But it's a step.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Ingress' backstory is a garbled mess of stupidity. Nobody, and I mean nobody, actually gives a flying fuck about the whole XM and enlightened vs resistance lore. That game was successful because people enjoyed the mechanical aspects of it, but, that's all it had. It was visually boring without the lore or hype to support it if you didn't truly enjoy the setup.

Sure, Go is just a total re-skin without really any reinventing the wheel in terms of mechanics. So what? Ingress was fine on mechanics. It gives appeal to kids, a FAR more established backstory that people were already invested in before release, a better motivator to keep playing (catch em all), with very evident future additions already in store such as battling, trading, and new pokemon.

Any free to play mobile game is going to fade after release. There's a huge gap between the game losing its launch week hype and it being a dead fad. I can't imagine the cash cow of this game being dropped. They already have anomaly infrastructure to just port in as rare/legendary pokemon at whatever degree of releases they want. Sure, yes, the frantic hustle and bustle dies out, but people keep the game and still check in when they walk around. Everything they need to just keep people on their leash and coming back every now and again is right there. It was there for Ingress but all they really needed was an actual base they never bothered to make any decent. It just happened to be Pok?mon. it could have been Mario Go or Transformers Go or SpongeBob Go but alas it's Pok?mon. Shame I never played past red.

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
Anyone else having a problem with the AR camera? Mine is basically pitch black unless I'm outside in broad daylight. Almost no amount of indoor lighting allows me to see anything but a black void.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Apparently my phone is a POS because I can't see the pokemon when I switch to AR mode.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
No need to fag it up like the bunch of pretentious cock holsters all of you are.

Let it be what it is. Something fun to see happen that won't really go anywhere.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
It'll be a fad unless they find something else to do sometime this week.

If not, people will drop it in a hurry. Casual people aren't just going to keep wandering their neighborhoods just for new Pok?mon.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
My local community college doesn't even have a Pokestop, but there is a Gym and a couple stops outside of town literally in the middle of nowhere. I was hoping to farm some stuff at school today! lol

Edit: They must have fixed the servers because I've had no problems today with GPS tracking and staying connected to the servers.