Pokemans and how to catch them with your phone - friend codes in OP

Neph_sl

shitlord
I'd like to think it's possible that this becomes a world-wide cultural phenomenon with organizations and professional teams of trainers competing for massive prizes.
Going back and reading the first two pages of this thread is interesting, everyone was definitely interested, but only Tuco sarcastically predicted the fact that this game would become a world-wide cultural phenomenon over opening weekend.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
At least half of the people in my office play pogo and we're all on the same team. We just stomped a couple gyms next to us and collected everything in a cemetary.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Shops and restaurants in San Diego Balboa park have been using lures to retain customers:

rrr_img_136637.jpg

I went from lvl 6 to almost being 8 while sitting at a bar.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Until you come up with a control scheme remotely as good as keyboard/mouse or controllers are, mobile development is going to remain relatively shallow.

I'd love to see some real depth in mobile games, and there a few games that do have real depth, but most of them are ports from other systems.

For the most part, while the idea of the touch screen seemed like it would revolutionize games, in my opinion, that innovation really hasn't happened in the ways one would hope.

Yes, the mobile market is making a lot of money, and bringing in a lot of otherwise more casual players (all good things), but the games are all so arcadey.

I dunno.

I'm very torn on the mobile gaming scene.
The meta bit about this game is that the "skill" revolves around:

1. "Go"ing to the right place.
2. "Go"ing faster.
3. Being able and willing to use a simple method of triangulating where pokemon are from the very basic data provided.

In other words, all that micro and twitch skill I've built up over the years is irrelevant and should be irrelevant. Someone who is able and willing to jog/bike in a nearby downtown area is the elite gamer here. Which makes total sense because in the universe the trainer barely participates in the battles. There should be more gameplay in that the trainer should make decisions, but not the kind that necessitates a mouse/kb.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
If this was released in like September or March instead of fucking July I'd probably be all in on this, but even at night it's like 80% humidity at 200 degrees in in KC so fuck that :p

Passive playing it is. On that note, are there actually any tricks or techniques for throwing the Pokeballs or is it just a matter of hitting them in general?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
If this was released in like September or March instead of fucking July I'd probably be all in on this, but even at night it's like 80% humidity at 200 degrees in in KC so fuck that :p

Passive playing it is. On that note, are there actually any tricks or techniques for throwing the Pokeballs or is it just a matter of hitting them in general?
hit them in the right spot, hit them when the green circle is small and maybe hit them with a curve ball.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
hit them in the right spot, hit them when the green circle is small and maybe hit them with a curve ball.
Was wondering what the circle factor was, thanks. It doesn't help that I haven't gotten any Pokestop to work in the past 24 hours, the few that I've been conveniently located near anyway.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Does anyone else feel like the best part about Pokemon go is that it is raising the visibility of ARG games and bringing them to the mainstream. Potentially opening the door to really creative and well developed full featured ARG games for us gamers.

Column_sl

shitlord
This is a perfect time for a carrier like Tmobile to come out and say that Pokemon Go data is free and wont go against your cap.
I'd like to see how much data it hogs, I'm guessing not much.

GPS on all the time fucks with your battery life tho. Rather have better batteries in 2016.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'd like to see how much data it hogs, I'm guessing not much.

GPS on all the time fucks with your battery life tho. Rather have better batteries in 2016.
doesn't hog much data, especially if you download local maps.

Battery life is a huge issue. You basically need to either have a nice battery, a battery case or backup batteries. I got a couple for $12 each that should increase the battery life by 4x.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
On the somewhat offtopic of mobile games in general, mobile (and smart phones in particular) really lends itself to only a few genres well: Puzzles, RPGs, ARs, and anything that requires very few buttons to control (maybe arcade racers? Some platformers? Hard to say). I've only recently started exploring mobile games with having some down time at work, and the only ones I've found that are decent at all fall into those categories. MAA2, Future Fight, Monument, Quell, Tomb Raider GO, and now Pokemon GO.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
On the somewhat offtopic of mobile games in general, mobile (and smart phones in particular) really lends itself to only a few genres well: Puzzles, RPGs, ARs, and anything that requires very few buttons to control (maybe arcade racers? Some platformers? Hard to say). I've only recently started exploring mobile games with having some down time at work, and the only ones I've found that are decent at all fall into those categories. MAA2, Future Fight, Monument, Quell, Tomb Raider GO, and now Pokemon GO.
This is the second game I've played and the first, Fallout shelter, I eventually just instaled on my PC through an emulator. While this is silly to say, the mechanics of playing PoGo on a mobile device are much superior than trying with a laptop or PC.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
This is the second game I've played and the first, Fallout shelter, I eventually just instaled on my PC through an emulator. While this is silly to say, the mechanics of playing PoGo on a mobile device are much superior than trying with a laptop or PC.
Any of the games I mentioned (aside from Pokemon Go I think) would be perfectly playable on a PC or Console, but they control fine on a phone and that's key. It's not about the phone controls being better than another system (that will be rare to non existent aside from AR games), it's about them being comfortable to play on the phone/tablet.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
The meta bit about this game is that the "skill" revolves around:

1. "Go"ing to the right place.
2. "Go"ing faster.
3. Being able and willing to use a simple method of triangulating where pokemon are from the very basic data provided.

In other words, all that micro and twitch skill I've built up over the years is irrelevant and should be irrelevant. Someone who is able and willing to jog/bike in a nearby downtown area is the elite gamer here. Which makes total sense because in the universe the trainer barely participates in the battles. There should be more gameplay in that the trainer should make decisions, but not the kind that necessitates a mouse/kb.
I can't tell if you're just delusional from too much cheeseburger grease and responding to posts you're hallucinating the existence of, or trolling me here.

I'm glad you're enjoying your mobile pokeymons though.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I can't tell if you're just delusional from too much cheeseburger grease and responding to posts you're hallucinating the existence of, or trolling me here.

I'm glad you're enjoying your mobile pokeymons though.
Catch up, Hodj. The meta of this game is a different dimension that can't be expressed with mouse/kb.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I just want to remind everyone that Draegan got super salty at me about a year ago when I was arguing pokemon would make a great MMO.

But yeah the game is cute but shallow (as are 99% of mobile titles) and the same can ultimately be said about pokemon in general.

Not that there's anything necessarily wrong with that. I just think that mobile is greatly limited by its focus on this sort of nickle and dime shit over games with depth and substnace.