Pokemans and how to catch them with your phone - friend codes in OP

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I started putting links in the OP. What I think I really need is a national map of rare spawn "farms". Maybe they're bullshitters but I keep hearing about certain areas that have a high prevalence of certain pokemon.

I actually hoped earlier in this thread when the game was announced that they'd have a much stronger correlation between location and spawns. That way you'd be excited to travel literally across country to catch different pokemon. It seems like the only real divide is water/land and these rare pokemon farms.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I started putting links in the OP. What I think I really need is a national map of rare spawn "farms". Maybe they're bullshitters but I keep hearing about certain areas that have a high prevalence of certain pokemon.

I actually hoped earlier in this thread when the game was announced that they'd have a much stronger correlation between location and spawns. That way you'd be excited to travel literally across country to catch different pokemon. It seems like the only real divide is water/land and these rare pokemon farms.
Would have been cool to place some really rare pokemon in Syria
smile.png

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?

Types are definitely at least regional. I've seen basically 0 ground/rock/fire types, no arboks etc, while my cousin in Phoenix has geodudes and the like overflowing his game, but can't find a drowsey to save his life.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Had a birthday picnic for my GF's brother last night on a historical town green. There were 15 pokestops and 2 gyms in a quarter mile radius. No one else at the party played, but it became the talk of the night with my GF and I explaining it to everyone and having fun pointing out people walking around the green definitely playing.

When the party cleared out the GF and I did a loop of the green. As were walking an old lady interrupts us asking if we're playing that "Pokey thing" my GF shows her her phone screen and the lady goes "yup, that's the one" and keeps walking with her dog. The saturation of this game is insane.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
So I'm looking at my pokemons... and notice some of them have a blue "aura" on them in my list? Anyone know why?

Neph_sl

shitlord
So I've been targeting gyms now that I have a few 800 CP Pokemon. You get 10 Pokecoins by clicking the shield in the top right of the shop when you set your Pokemon to protect a gym. I've only defended a single gym so far, but I've read that you can defend up to 10 gyms though for 100 Pokecoins a day.

Do you have to hold them simultaneously or can you just plop Pokemon in 10 different gyms over the 20 hours? Do they have to be 10 different Pokemon? Is there any benefit to KOing Pokemon trying to attack your gym?

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
So I've been targeting gyms now that I have a few 800 CP Pokemon. You get 10 Pokecoins by clicking the shield in the top right of the shop when you set your Pokemon to protect a gym. I've only defended a single gym so far, but I've read that you can defend up to 10 gyms though for 100 Pokecoins a day.

Do you have to hold them simultaneously or can you just plop Pokemon in 10 different gyms over the 20 hours? Do they have to be 10 different Pokemon? Is there any benefit to KOing Pokemon trying to attack your gym?
They have to be 10 different pokemon. Once assigned to a gym you can't upgrade or use that Pok?mon to do other battles. To get 100 pokecoins at once you need to have 10 different pokemon assigned to 10 different gyms your team controls.

Don't get your last question. If it is a friendly gym you battle against, your pokemon don't get ko'd. Battling at a gym controlled by your team gives it presrige (xp) to level up. More levels at a gym means more slots people can assign a Pok?mon to, though any 1 individual can only assign a single pokemon to a particular gym.

Neph_sl

shitlord
They have to be 10 different pokemon. Once assigned to a gym you can't upgrade or use that Pok?mon to do other battles. To get 100 pokecoins at once you need to have 10 different pokemon assigned to 10 different gyms your team controls.

Don't get your last question. If it is a friendly gym you battle against, your pokemon don't get ko'd. Battling at a gym controlled by your team gives it presrige (xp) to level up. More levels at a gym means more slots people can assign a Pok?mon to, though any 1 individual can only assign a single pokemon to a particular gym.
To the last question, I meant if you're defending a gym and someone else comes to attack it, do you get a benefit for your Pokemon beating theirs? If you look at a gym, you can see "Battles Won" listed under the leaders Pokemon, which I assume to mean how many times that gym has successfully defended against an attacker.

Going back to the multiple gym / coin thing, it seems that you have to hold multiple gyms simultaneously to get the benefit. I haven't tried, but I assume the number in your shield icon in the shop goes up by one for each gym you're currently holding, implying you need to hold 10 gyms simultaneously to get 100 coins in a 20 hr window.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Good luck holding multiple gyms for any length of time. Even if you were in the top 0.01% of pokemon players and put a hard pipe hittin' pokey in the gym it'll be rolled over by the next group of people coming your way.

The gym heavily favors attackers by letting attackers 6v1 for level 1 gyms, 6v4 for level 4 gyms etc. It's especially trivial to conquer gyms if you're in a group of people. A roving group of 4 people can 24v4 a level 4 gym. So groups of people who roam around cycling incense and hitting gyms will destroy everything. If you're in one of these groups you can also spend a few minutes leveling up the gym to level 4 and deposit a bunch of pokemon, but even those pokemon will get obliterated by the next group.

Neph_sl

shitlord
Good luck holding multiple gyms for any length of time. Even if you were in the top 0.01% of pokemon players and put a hard pipe hittin' pokey in the gym it'll be rolled over by the next group of people coming your way.

The gym heavily favors attackers by letting attackers 6v1 for level 1 gyms, 6v4 for level 4 gyms etc. It's especially trivial to conquer gyms if you're in a group of people. A roving group of 4 people can 24v4 a level 4 gym. So groups of people who roam around cycling incense and hitting gyms will destroy everything. If you're in one of these groups you can also spend a few minutes leveling up the gym to level 4 and deposit a bunch of pokemon, but even those pokemon will get obliterated by the next group.
Not saying I'm gonna go out and hold 10 gyms at a time, just wanted to understand the mechanics b/c I like theory crafting these things.

The other thing that makes holding multiple gyms tough is that when you set your Pokemon to defend a gym, you can't use them to take out other gyms. So you really need to have a wide variety of strong Pokemon to hold multiple gyms.

I live in a city where the gyms leaders are 1200+ CP Pokemon, no way I'm holding multiple gyms. But near work in the suburbs there's a single gym that I can grab pretty easily. Seems to me that if you can drive elsewhere (with a group ideally) and grab multiple gyms where people aren't power users, you could potentially hold gyms for longer.