Political Affiliation

Not sure if anyone will care, but Anne Coulter said "Libertarians are a bunch of pussies".
tongue.png

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...k-youre-puies/

Del

Vyemm Raider
I used to believe I was a democrat, but the modern day democrats are really nothing more than neoconservatives in a different outfit, so I'm leaning more toward being a libertarian now. They seem to be the only ones who make a lick of sense at the moment.

Karloff_sl

shitlord
I used to believe I was a democrat, but the modern day democrats are really nothing more than neoconservatives in a different outfit, so I'm leaning more toward being a libertarian now. They seem to be the only ones who make a lick of sense at the moment.
My question with libertarians is for all the big talk they just fold themselves into the Republican Party more often then not. In Alaska they'd make some noise but by time elections roll around they just join the GOP.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
My question with libertarians is for all the big talk they just fold themselves into the Republican Party more often then not. In Alaska they'd make some noise but by time elections roll around they just join the GOP.
That's because the deck is stacked against third parties in this country. Ron Paul ran as a libertarian once and then went back to being a Republican because he felt that was the only choice where he had a chance of getting his ideas heard. After Ross Perot they changed the rules so it's pretty much a given that no one but an R or D has the slightest chance of getting into a presidential debate for example. This is why I refuse to vote for any Republican or Democrat. I don't think there will be any real change until those two parties lose their stranglehold on the government and they're not different enough on topics that are important to me that I care which of them wins.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
That's because the deck is stacked against third parties in this country. Ron Paul ran as a libertarian once and then went back to being a Republican because he felt that was the only choice where he had a chance of getting his ideas heard. After Ross Perot they changed the rules so it's pretty much a given that no one but an R or D has the slightest chance of getting into a presidential debate for example. This is why I refuse to vote for any Republican or Democrat. I don't think there will be any real change until those two parties lose their stranglehold on the government and they're not different enough on topics that are important to me that I care which of them wins.
This mostly summarizes my thoughts. There are differences between the two parties but when it comes down to it, both are bought by the same lobbies. Two parties = a small # of people you need to buy. Pair that up with "corporations are people and money is free speech", and the picture becomes very clear.

EDIT: it's also very beneficial to those with a real say (corporations and the very rich) to make sure the two parties appear divisive. Let them grandstand and argue about issues that don't concern big money, like abortion. That way, the will of the people remains divided and we pay less attention to the very rapidly growing wealth divide.

Karloff_sl

shitlord
Honestly it sounds like a copout to me, your either a libertarian or a republican, there is quite a difference between the two parties at a national level. As much as Perot was an idiot least he stuck by his beliefs. If there can be a Green Party then guys like Ron and Rand Paul should just stick with their own party.

Karloff_sl

shitlord
This mostly summarizes my thoughts. There are differences between the two parties but when it comes down to it, both are bought by the same lobbies. Two parties = a small # of people you need to buy. Pair that up with "corporations are people and money is free speech", and the picture becomes very clear.

EDIT: it's also very beneficial to those with a real say (corporations and the very rich) to make sure the two parties appear divisive. Let them grandstand and argue about issues that don't concern big money, like abortion. That way, the will of the people remains divided and we pay less attention to the very rapidly growing wealth divide.
If you mean abortion as wedge issue sure, but to say its not big business is being naive. Both the pro-choice and pro-life lobbies are big money. Everyone complains about wedge issues but for a lot of folks those are the only issues they feel will actually impact their lives.

Blide_sl

shitlord
BTW, what's up with Oklahoma? They seemed to exclude all 3rd parties from the ballot.
Oklahoma has some bullshit rules as to what constitutes a party. Then for someone to enter as an "independent" candidate, they need enough signatures to equal 2% of the previous election's total votes. Gary Johnson almost got in under another party name but then the secretary of state disqualified him for some unknown reason.

What's kind of funny is the state with the greatest ballot access borders Oklahoma. Colorado just requires 500 (now 1000) bucks to get your name on the ballot. Last election, there were well over a dozen different parties represented on the ballot.

felldoh

Bronze Knight of the Realm
If there can be a Green Party then guys like Ron and Rand Paul should just stick with their own party.
Are you suggesting that there arn't a significant number of Green Partiers who vote for the Democrats? FYI, Gary Johnson broke 1 million votes nationwide in 2012 (an LP all time best), which was ~3x more than Jill Stein got.

Karloff_sl

shitlord
Are you suggesting that there arn't a significant number of Green Partiers who vote for the Democrats? FYI, Gary Johnson broke 1 million votes nationwide in 2012 (an LP all time best), which was ~3x more than Jill Stein got.
Oh I'm sure lot of Green Party/ libertarian end up voting for the lesser of two evils in their eyes but for blowhards like Rand Paul who expounds his libertarian ideals then sucks the tit of the Republican Party. I find it pretty funny.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
because pacs and superpacs

Numbers_sl

shitlord
Anarchist, voted libertarian last two elections.
I've always wanted to ask an anarchist what the deal was. In International relations, depending on the lens one uses to explain and predict global events, some people view the world as in a state of anarchy, but I don't think it is the same kind of anarchy that your typical anarchist believes in, which is why I wanted to interrogate someone like you. What's the deal with anarchy?

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
LOL -- the ideologies of the two parties you mention are diametrically opposed on nearly every substantive issue.

Also a hearty LMFAO at the people declaring the democratic party centrist and thus identifying themselves as centrist rather than democrat. Does this deception actually work on themselves? Cause you can be damn sure it doesnt work on anyone outside their fantasy worlds.

The Democratic Party in 2013 is not centrist, or even liberal, but rather Leftist.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I'd like to call myself centrist but since that no longer exists in the Republican party I have to just admit to being Democrat, even though I hate much of the party ideals every bit as much as I do the shit that has infested the Republicans (religious fundies, libertards that actually think we can maintain a high standard of living without taxes and government control, etc)

Poll should be three options. Repub, Demo, and "I waste time and gasoline throwing my vote away"