Portland? As a moving destination, not for travel

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
Rents seem to be pretty similar in Vancouver as well. 3 bedrooms for some reason are pretty hard to come by for a reasonable price. Makes sense I suppose, just wasn't expecting that. Luckily I have 6+ months before moving so have some time to figure it out.

So I've lived in Phoenix AZ my entire life, where we get 320+ days a year of sunshine, can throw a baseball in any direction, and are guaranteed to hit a swimming pool, and in the winter time, it brings more people outside, instead of keeping them in. Does the rain and gloomy clouds have an effect on things to do?

I assume Portland is just like any other big city? Places to shop, get lunch, watch a movie, etc? Have family that lives in Vancouver, so it won't be a total culture shock, but my in laws are pretty homebound, and so they won't know much about the city!
I'd look into the Beaverton/Hillsboro area if you end up working for Nike. Otherwise you are looking at a 45+ minute commute each direction. Most places to go in Portland would still be less than 30 min away depending on the time of day. Unless its a retail store, 95+% of Nike is really in Beaverton but they post jobs as being in 'Portland' to help with getting people's attention when they do job searches. I have a Portland address but technically on paper I'm in unincorporated 'Beaverton' so I pay less property taxes
smile.png

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
The best bet is to live and work in Vancouver. Then you get no state income tax and can shop tax free in Portland.

Portland and the Columbia Gorge is a massive step up from Arizona. Can't wait to move back.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The best bet is to live and work in Vancouver. Then you get no state income tax and can shop tax free in Portland.

Portland and the Columbia Gorge is a massive step up from Arizona. Can't wait to move back.
Can't wait to move back to Portland?

As for places to live, if I do end up getting a job at Nike, I'll have to consider it. My wife is super close to family, and she would prefer to live less than 10 minutes away so that we are separate, but close enough to easily go over for dinner and baby sitting. So we'll see how things work out.

As for the gloomy days, I expect I'll love them. Won't stop me! haha

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Pretty sure they're more hipster. Portland is proud of their weirdness.

Keep Portland Weird.jpg

Crone

I'm pretty sure that wall is right across the street from Voodoo Doughnuts, isn't it? went to Voodoo as a tourist, but I swear I saw that wall. lol

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I'm pretty sure that wall is right across the street from Voodoo Doughnuts, isn't it? went to Voodoo as a tourist, but I swear I saw that wall. lol
Yeah, that's like a block or so west from Voodoo. It's on the backwall of Dante's, I've smoked a lot of weed standing next to that dumpster though.

Portland is more hipster than Seattle but Seattle people are all bros and trust fund douches.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Can't wait to move back to Portland?

As for places to live, if I do end up getting a job at Nike, I'll have to consider it. My wife is super close to family, and she would prefer to live less than 10 minutes away so that we are separate, but close enough to easily go over for dinner and baby sitting. So we'll see how things work out.

As for the gloomy days, I expect I'll love them. Won't stop me! haha
I actually lived about 2 hours up the 84 right by Maryhill. I just moved away for work about a month and a half ago.

Troll_sl

shitlord
I'm down in Tualatin right now, but moving into Portland by the end of August. Just want to be closer to stuff. And it sucks driving to Hillsboro every day (not as bad as the drive from Salem, though... fuck that noise, Bonch!)

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
Here right now. Easily the coolest city I've been to. Public transport is amazing, hundreds of sweet bars/restaurants (Alberta and Mississippi are particularly amazing to walk around), great live music and venues. It's just beautiful to walk around the neighborhoods too (well most of them). I love how every restaurant is opened up to the outdoors. Drove up to Astoria yesterday which seems like an awesome place to retire. Pics are from Long beach. Wasn't packed with screaming kids and drunk housewives like every other coastal beach I've been to. Pretty humbling. Definitely moving here some time next year. Band is some local guys I saw down at the White Owl Social club

rrr_img_74869.jpg

rrr_img_74870.jpg

rrr_img_74871.jpg

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
Just landed here yesterday. Bumming around for the week on vacation time until I start back up at work. The drive across Montana was fucking amazing.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I grew up in Southern Oregon on the rural coast in a town called Coos Bay. Its quite remote and 4+ hours from PDX. But if you're all about nature and outdoors its quite awesome and not too much foot-traffic when compared to Eugene and the other major outdoors spots. But I highly recommend it, as the coast along Northern CA/Southern Oregon is a pretty well kept secret as to how awesome it is.

Not that you'll find any work there really. But the area is nice.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
I'll be sure to make the drive down. We're heading to the gorge today and then to up to Rainier tomorrow.

Crone

Fifey! Need some recommendations! I'm out of town for work long term, I'm back for Memorial Day weekend Saturday-Thursday, and I want to take the wife on a stay-cation. Got baby sitting lined up!

Recommendations in Portland? Or anywhere within a couple hours drive?

Thanks to fifey or anyone else!

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
What kind of staycation are you wanting? Outdoors shit or like restaurants and bars?

Crone

What kind of staycation are you wanting? Outdoors shit or like restaurants and bars?
Probably more indoors with restaurants. Last vacation we had was San Fran, and we loved driving to the beach, and walking the beach, and stopping at the fruit stands, and also loved a couple afternoons we spent in the hotel room, windows open, relaxing!

Not really an outdoorsie types beyond light hiking though.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Well, Multnomah falls/Gorge can be a good afternoon that's not too much driving. Newport/Lincoln city is the closest beach about two ish hours away that you can also swing down to Eugene and check that out too.

In town, I really like Apex for the patio on a hot day on 11th and division se which next door also hasbeer mongers which is a great beer snob place that isn't snobby. Belmont has a huge whiskey bar somewhere that's supposed to be awesome. You can go for a walk in laurelhurst park or just enjoy the sun.

Kelleys point is also a good beach that's super close from Vancouver, it's at the end of the peninsula in St John's.

Sorry it's rambling, on my phone and it's a pain to format.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
A good day trip for the gorge would be hit up multnomah falls in the morning, grab lunch in Hood river, I recommend double mountain (kick ass beer), then head up hwy 35 to timberline to check out mt hood. Then take hwy 26 back to Portland

EDIT Timberline is a decent hotel for a night stay as well