Portland? As a moving destination, not for travel

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
You wanna come back to my place and play some Xbox and just, you know, chill?

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Jupiter hotel is a pretty nice hotel that's real central, it's kind of spend(I think?)but I know it's popular, so it must be worth it and has a nice bar connected to it.
Any other hotel suggestion? Looks like Jupiter's quiet side is booked up for the dates we're looking at (actually just checked and they're totally booked). Looks super cool, but I don't think we want to try sleeping next to a bar open and bumping till 2am. Really neat concept, though.

What is considered the main entertainment/culture district? Preferably we'd be staying in or near it. Oh also, what's the best way to get from the airport to that area? Cab? Train/trolley? Bus?

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
What is considered the main entertainment/culture district? Preferably we'd be staying in or near it. Oh also, what's the best way to get from the airport to that area? Cab? Train/trolley? Bus?
Pearl district/Alberta/Hollywood/Mississippi/Hawthorne are all pretty rad. St. Johns has some cool spots too. Get the TriMet app on your phone for traversing around town. It doesn't really take too long to get anywhere in the city.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, what cabbie said and the MAX (light rail) is the best way to get from the airport to downtown, it's maybe a 45 minute ride.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
The districts Cabbit mentioned are good, but don't get your expectations up too high. As someone who's lived here most of my life, I find it pretty boring compared to other west coast cities like Seattle, SF, LA. I guess the whole Portlandia thing can be entertaining. We have good beer and coffee at least.

Edit: Just wanted to clarify, I meant that Portland isn't a great place to visit on vacation imo. It is a great place to live though.

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Thanks for this thread. I've been here for 2 weeks now and the whole trips been pretty rad so far. I may just have to move here some day.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'm seriously considering moving back to Oregon (doesn't have to be Portland proper) for the first time since 2005. Been out in the Wilderness too long now. I was in Portland last weekend for a wedding and realized I missed the place. Luckily jobs in my field are also plentiful there!

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I quite enjoyed the 3 days I spent in Portland. Mostly in the downtown/Pioneer/Pearl/Hawthorne area. Really good dining, easy to get around, and so on. Washington Park was pretty cool as well. We did the Cooper Spur hike on Saturday, which had some gorgeous views.

Only things I was less than impressed with were a) street kids every fucking where (every city will have the mentally ill homeless, but holy fuck is there ever a lot of lazy shits who just don't feel like working on the streets in Portland) and b) the local fashion sense resulted in me hardly seeing any attractive women while there. Which I guess was fine as I was with my girlfriend, but seriously, I was expecting more like Vancouver with tons of fit, attractive, stylish women. Maybe they were just hiding from me. But all I saw was frumpy looking, hippy or hipster types wearing terrible clothes with awful tattoos, hair, and body modifications. Ugh. It was actually kind of amusing, because you'd see a couple walking down the street, and no gay the guy would be decent looking and his girlfriend would be horrid. It's like dudes in Portland are having to take their expectations down a notch because the female population can't be bothered to look halfway decent.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Fashion is currently horrible in Portland, my buddy visited this weekend and he made the same comment as you. It's this horrible 90s grunge/alt rock look.

Most of the street kids here are actually the children of the suburbs, they take the train into town to panhandle and beg cause it's cool, then go home to mommies house when they need a change of clothes or whatever. It's super annoying.