Portland? As a moving destination, not for travel

splorge

Silver Knight of the Realm
I grew up in Southern Oregon on the rural coast in a town called Coos Bay. Its quite remote and 4+ hours from PDX. But if you're all about nature and outdoors its quite awesome and not too much foot-traffic when compared to Eugene and the other major outdoors spots. But I highly recommend it, as the coast along Northern CA/Southern Oregon is a pretty well kept secret as to how awesome it is.

Not that you'll find any work there really. But the area is nice.
go pre!

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Thank you guys both. We don't drink, but the beach recommendations sounds pretty awesome. We've been to Multnomah falls a couple different times with family, and it's pretty awesome. Have never hiked up or gotten very far into it though. Maybe it's time we do it.

If Timberline has a hotel, I might be looking at a trip like that. Thanks!

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Pretty sure they're more hipster. Portland is proud of their weirdness.

Keep Portland Weird.jpg
Yeah, but clearly not of their originality. I'm pretty sure Austin, TX has been using that slogan forever.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
I like the Cape Lookout area. A nice hike there along the cape. If you hike south along the beach from the parking lot to the north of the cape past the first couple estuaries there are a huge number of whole sand dollars. It may be too much outdoors for you but Netarts bay there is popular for clamming/crabbing. A ton of information on it like a location maphttp://www.dfw.state.or.us/mrp/shell...lazerquick.pdfand other guidesODFW About Bay Clams

Just check the reports and don't get poisoned and get brain damage! Maybe that's why Portland is weird...

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Nice!

We ended up in Lincoln City, and I chartered a fishing trip out of Depoe Bay. Caught up 12 rockfish, and some crab! Booked 1 night at a Best Western right on the beach in Lincoln City. Was fantastic! Went on Monday afternoon to Tuesday. When going there from Portland, felt bad for all the people stuck in the grid lock traffic of everyone trying to get home.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
Any advice about camping on the Beach in Seaside? Girlfriend and I are thinking about doing it this weekend.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
Any advice about camping on the Beach in Seaside? Girlfriend and I are thinking about doing it this weekend.
Do you know anyone that's done this? I'd say you would be lucky to even get a tent setup before you were told to take it down since it's illegal to camp there(or any beach within city limits. Otherwise you will need to plan well in advance to reserve a legit campsite for a weekend.

Overnight camping is allowed on sections of the Oregon Coast, not adjacent to Oregon State Parks, not within the city limits of Cannon Beach, Lincoln City, Seaside, Newport, Bandon, Gold Beach, Rockaway Beach and Manzanita. This includes overnight sleeping in tents, driftwood shelters, sleeping bags, recreational vehicles, trailers, or automobiles, nor where there are signs posted prohibiting camping. The places where one can camp on the beach tend to be remote , far from the road and not accessible by automobile. If you choose to make camp on the beach, be prepared to break camp on request and always practice beach safety.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
How is Beaverton? Is it like the burbs for Portland?
Intel is in Hillsboro along with a lot of other tech companies. Hillsboro is the next city west of Portland after Beaverton. Beaverton has less space for offices and more space for shopping, restaurants, homes than Hillsboro I think. West of Washington Park on 26 is all Portland burbs area. Beaverton is mixed in with a lot of Portland. I have a Portland address even though my property tax shows Beaverton. So I pay less property tax, which is nice.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
You thinking about becoming a west coast bro?
I've been kicking around Seattle or Portland for a while now. Doubt it'll happen but now that my best friend moved from Columbus to Seattle I'm having fewer reasons to actually stay where I'm at.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Go to Seattle, a lot more raw denim up there.
Not true. Self Edge has a storefront in Portland. The only major raw denim store in Seattle is Blue Owl and the only Japanese brands they stock is Momotaro and Big John.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I'm likely going to be in Portland for 3-4 days, somewhere around August 14-17, with the special lady friend. I would appreciate recommendations for a hotel to stay at (not looking for anything ridiculously swank, but something nice and central and with more character than a Best Western), places to eat, things to check out, and any events that might be on while we're there. Just doing a quick 4 day getaway. Not sure if we'll bother renting a car or not. Maybe we will one day to head out to the coast. Cool places for a day hike nearby are also appreciated. I doubt we'll bring our camping stuff, so just day hikes.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Jupiter hotel is a pretty nice hotel that's real central, it's kind of spend(I think?)but I know it's popular, so it must be worth it and has a nice bar connected to it.

I'd head out to Mt Hood for hiking, plenty of hikes ranging from 2 miles to 20, just Google around and there are trail maps. It's about an hour drive from downtown. The coast has some hiking available too but I enjoy Hood more, plus you can stop at a lake(Timothy lake is A+) and go for a swim to cool off.

For food and stuff, just go anywhere and you have amazing food and drinks.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Warning : Beer fests are mainly filled with dudes named Chad that just want to "rage".