portland oregon

Ladro

Anomaly
Portland sucks. No one should ever want to move here. Horrible place to raise a family and live. Please don't visit either. Thanks!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Too late, already booked a visit. I've been once before, though that visit centered around an event. This time, no particular plan.

Any recommendations from the locals?

trex

Queen Bee
Too late, already booked a visit. I've been once before, though that visit centered around an event. This time, no particular plan.

Any recommendations from the locals?

When are you coming? Holiday ale festival is coming up. There's a shit show you can't miss.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
When are you coming? Holiday ale festival is coming up. There's a shit show you can't miss.

During the first half of Nov.

I was thinking more like restaurants locals prefer, the best booze spots (beer and wine, taprooms/vineyards + bars), and local landmarks/museums actually worth visiting. Rather than just relying on web searches.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
For food, I'll leave others to that but if you enjoy ramen, I'd check out Boxer, t's pretty hipster but really solid ramen. If you hit the one on 23rd or Alberta you could even go wait in the 2 hour line for salt and straw afterwards. If you want Voodoo donuts, don't wait in the line at the one downtown, head to the eastside one as long as it's midday Saturday/Sunday, you have almost no line.

For beer, I'm a huge fan of the Commons (lots of sours) but Apex(50ish taps on the LCD screen showing everything) is worth checking out since it's on the same block as Beer Mongers which is a rad bottle shop/bar. Los Gorditos is next door to both of them so if you get too drunk, you can always sober up a little there.

Bring a rain jacket.

• 1Like

trex

Queen Bee
You're supposed to tell the tourists to bring an umbrella, its how we know they don't belong.

I mostly notice the people in shorts in June. Yo dawg, it ain't summer here yet.

I use an umbrella. Didn't for years, but rain on your face is actually really uncomfortable

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Out of the large Portland contingent on the forum, only Fifey can make some recommendations about what's worth doing there? I am disappoint. Except in Fifey, thanks bro.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Veritable Quandary was a very good restaurant, but pricey. Davis Street Tavern was also very good, but we just had a few pints and appies. Most of the dining/drink we did the ex had just found on Trip Advisor etc, so nothing ground breaking or off the beaten path. Otherwise I was there in August, so the stuff we did isn't overly applicable. I don't think hiking Mount Hood would be an option, for example. There's that gigantic bookstore downtown that's probably worth checking out if that's your thing; you could spend hours there. There's a few things to check out in and around Washington Park, but again, if it's rainy and shitty I'm not sure if you're going to want to stroll through the trees and gardens etc. Otherwise I was really only there for 2.5 days, so that's pretty much all I've got to personally recommend.

Don't do any sort of ghost or slave trade tour. We did one and while the beer was good, pretty much everything about the supposed underground railroad for "Shanghai'ing" slaves was false. I guess there's one jackass that started and popularized that whole myth. There's some kernels of truth to it, but most of it is false.

• 1Like

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I might visit Portland. Tyen/Trex, do you guys have an extra closet?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Underground railroad in fucking Portland? You know that was like...in Kentucky and Ohio and shit right?

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Go to the Widmer brewery. Have some Hefe. See Multnomah falls and drive up to Timberline Lodge.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
You're supposed to tell the tourists to bring an umbrella, its how we know they don't belong.
Oregon is a weird fucking state, but this is one of the weirdest things about it. (And thats saying a lot for a state has made it fucking illegal to pump your own gas)

When you visit Maine in the winter, you'll find that the locals have adopted the gear thats available for dealing with snow -- theyre all wearing heavy jackets and boots. When you visit California in the summer, you'll find that the locals have adopted the gear thats available for dealing with constant sunshine -- sunglasses and sunscreen.

Then you visit Oregon where it rains ~8 months of the year and discover the locals systematically refuse to use the equipment thats available to deal with rain and instead ride their bikes around in the rain like goddam retards suited up in raincoats and weird waterproof pants (what do they even call those? Rain pants?)

Umbrellas are the superior device for dealing with rain, and riding bikes in the rain is fucking stupid. Only in Oregon.

• 1Solidarity

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Oregon is a weird fucking state, but this is one of the weirdest things about it. (And thats saying a lot for a state has made it fucking illegal to pump your own gas)

When you visit Maine in the winter, you'll find that the locals have adopted the gear thats available for dealing with snow -- theyre all wearing heavy jackets and boots. When you visit California in the summer, you'll find that the locals have adopted the gear thats available for dealing with constant sunshine -- sunglasses and sunscreen.

Then you visit Oregon where it rains ~8 months of the year and discover the locals systematically refuse to use the equipment thats available to deal with rain and instead ride their bikes around in the rain like goddam retards suited up in raincoats and weird waterproof pants (what do they even call those? Rain pants?)

Umbrellas are the superior device for dealing with rain, and riding bikes in the rain is fucking stupid. Only in Oregon.
singer1985full.jpg

Stay clean and dry on your commute - use bike fenders
Not sure if retarded or serious?