portland oregon

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Go to the Widmer brewery. Have some Hefe. See Multnomah falls and drive up to Timberline Lodge.

I won a drinking trophy from Widmer at a festival... sort of. I kept hitting up their (apparently endless) supply of barrel aged barleywine at a multi-day food & drink festival, so often that their marketing rep recognized me, tracked me down and gave me a bottle of it as things were winding down. I consider it my drinking trophy. "Congrats on getting retarded drunk for days on our >10% beer, have a trophy!"

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
I fucking LOVE bottom of the keg Widmer Hef.

Where it's thick as hell, goddamn.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Hair of the Dog if you like somewhat experimental beers. Food was really good though. I'm sure its unpopular, but give me a place by the fire at Deschutes downtown when its cold and rainy and i could stay there all day, I love their beers.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ladro

Anomaly
Wrong; Rain Jacket.

More importantly, a good light breathable one that you can roll up and stick in your bag when it's not raining. Or just say fuck it and wear a hoody because who cares about rain?

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Roscoes and Horse Brass Pub are nice beer spots, Belmont Station too for taps and lots of bottles. Pok Pok is vastly overrated, with tiny overpriced portions compared to every other Thai restaurant in the city. There's so many good food spots, just look up the type of food you're craving for each meal and pick something that sounds good.

• 1Like

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Umbrellas are the superior device for dealing with rain, and riding bikes in the rain is fucking stupid. Only in Oregon.

Personally, I fucking hate umbrellas. If there's any wind, they're useless. And you transform yourself in to a one armed cripple when you use one. Fuck that. Then again, I live in a climate that, outside of this year's shitty fucking summer, doesn't really get a lot of rain. However I have spent a fair amount of time in Victoria and Vancouver, which have pretty similar climates to Portland. And what I've noticed when it rains in those places, is that it's typically a pretty light, almost misty rain. Not a downpour like you get in thunderstorms etc. So an umbrella is fairly useless for that if you're walking at any rate of speed, because the small droplets fall so slow, you get wet anyways.

trex

Queen Bee
I might visit Portland. Tyen/Trex, do you guys have an extra closet?

Fresh out.

Don't you mean does Req have any more closets?

No. That's not what he meant.

Serious. My mom and her BF both ride to work rain or shine, use fenders, and those dumb saddle bags. It gets extra stupid when it's 5pm and black as shit outside. I don't feel comfortable driving while it's dark out and pouring.

Rain pants are what they're called, unless it's a rain suit.

Aldarion Aldarion I agree. Some people are so dumb. I think I have five different pairs of rain boots? That's all I wear in the fall/winter and half of spring. Just bought 3 pairs of black Bog rain boots this season so I can match the kids. We'll be the most precious.

71460-001.jpg

01.jpg

I use an umbrella almost always. I like it when we walk to a restaurant and Tyen has to look at the ground to not get rain on his face and then when we get to our destination, I close my umbrella a shake it out and sit in my chair dry as a desert while he fumbles around trying to find a place for his soaking wet rain jacket and then has to sit in wet jeans for an hour because "umbrellas are dumb".

I know all the chick things to do, are you going with ur lady, Haast Haast ? Could def help you out there

• 1Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
LOL what a silly answer. Yes, I am aware of "bike fenders" just like I'm aware of the little basket with a plastic flower on it that you can clip on the front of your bicycle, and the cute little horn you can clip to your handlebars so you can honk at your friends while you drive down the sidewalk.

Of course none of those devices do anything to prevent the rain thats falling down onto your head, or into your face since youre presumably moving forward. Nor do they improve visibility or make the pavement any less slippery.

When I said biking in the rain was a bad idea did you honestly think I was worried about that little trail of water thrown out by the tires of the childrens toy youre riding in traffic? No, no I was not. I was obviously referring to the idea that when the weather is bad, reducing visibility and causing traffic accidents even in vehicles that were intended to be driven by grownups in traffic, perhaps itd be a good idea not to ride said childrens toy in traffic and instead get in the damn car like a normal adult and drive to work. Hippy.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Where did bikes touch you when you were a kid?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Here's a bunch of grown adults riding "children toys" around in the mud. Man, I wish I could be an adult.

(These are the Portland bikeshare bikes)

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Am I missing something here? It seems like kind of a dick move to muddy up a bikeshare bike, too.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Seattle Doesn’t Get That Much Rain

The reason they don't use umbrella's in Portland in Seattle is because they don't get shit for rain. I have never understood people acting like portland and seattle do nothing but rain. Philly gets more rain than Portland or even Seattle. Always triggers me, ask pretty much anyone about Seattle or Portland and one of their first responses will be something about the rain, but could ask 1000s of people to describe Philly not a single one would mention the rain.

Seattle ranks 44th among major U.S. cities in average annual rainfall, getting approximately 38 inches annually. Cities that get more rainfall than Seattle include such as Houston Texas (48 inches), New Orleans (60 inches), Mobile AL (65 inches), Memphis (52 inches), Nashville (48 inches), and pretty much every major city on the eastern seaboard, such as New York (43 inches), Philadelphia (41 inches), Miami (58 inches), and Boston (44 inches).

k rant over, btw I love the PNW and hope to move their soon as kids finish HS

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Amount of rainfall is a bad metric. It doesn't rain heavily. It's just a heavy ass fucking mist. Like walking through a spray bottle. At least in Seattle. Never been to Portland.