Prank phone call ends in tragedy

Anemone_sl

shitlord
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ick-prank.html

'It was a low, lazy and artless prank': International backlash against sick jokers who boasted as tragedy of suicide nurse unfolded

Mel Greig and Michael Christian banned from show until further notice
2DayFM offers 'deepest sympathies' to Jacintha Saldanha's family
Statement follows global revulsion at pair who boasted of prank
Australian PM Julia Gillard has described the death as 'a terrible tragedy'
They were still pictured on station?s site urging listeners to ?hear latest?
Later both closed their Twitter accounts following huge backlash
Station's Facebook page has been bombarded with abusive comments
Australians waking up to hear the news react with anger over prank

It's a crazy world we live in.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
A twist only M. Knight Shamalamadingdong could be proud of.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The prank call sucked and people shouldn't prank emergency services. That being said the nurse was out of her mind for committing suicide over such a non-event.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The prank call sucked and people shouldn't prank emergency services. That being said the nurse was out of her mind for committing suicide over such a non-event.
Did they really call an emergency number? Sounds more like it's just the hospital.

and I can't believe someone actually fell for that -.-

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I read the entire article... Did the DJ's actually say anything bad to the receptionist? Why'd she commit suicide? From the perspective I'm getting (haven't listened to the phone call), I don't see a connection. o_O

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Did they really call an emergency number? Sounds more like it's just the hospital.
Nah it wasn't an emergency number. what I mean is that people shouldn't prank hospitals, police depts, fire depts etc. Prank the hotel that the princess is staying at, don't prank the hospital she's at.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I read the entire article... Did the DJ's actually say anything bad to the receptionist? Why'd she commit suicide? From the perspective I'm getting (haven't listened to the phone call), I don't see a connection. o_O
There was no reason to commit suicide that we know of, she didn't get fired over it. She basically pulled a 15 year old girl suicide "oh my god I've so embarassed myself by wearing the wrong make up with this shirt, better kill myself"

There was no reason to commit suicide that we know of, she didn't get fired over it. She basically pulled a 15 year old girl suicide "oh my god I've so embarassed myself by wearing the wrong make up with this shirt, better kill myself"
Basically. I agree with Tuco; no one should be pranking hospitals, etc, but the suicide is entirely the nurse's own fault. If she couldn't psychologically handle a lame prank call, she shouldn't have be in a position of medical responsibility over other people to begin with.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
You can't "make" someone kill themselves. She killed herself because she was depressed.

orcmauler

Golden Squire
Keep in mind this was the person who transferred the call, she wasn't even the main person being pranked! As others have said, she had much more going on than the embarrassment caused by the call. Yes the DJ's were stupid--who the hell thinks prank calls are funny anymore--but they are not responsible.

khanable_sl

shitlord
Wait, so she killed herself simply because she was embarrassed?

If this was in America she could have turned this into a $100M lawsuit and laughed her way to the bank

an accordion_sl

shitlord
Holy fuck, I thought the phone call was going to be some harsh fucked up shit with how much coverage this is getting. That shit was so tame, there is literally nothing offensive about it... why did she commit suicide over this?

??????????????????

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
its ridiculous the DJs are getting heat for this other than its not 1985 anymore and radio station stunts are fucking stupid in this day and age. just play the fucking songs. nobody wants to hear your plastic banter. if you were talented you wouldnt be in fucking radio.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Please rename this thread to "Prank phone call ends in superior gene pool."

spinnaker

reformed lurker
<Bronze Donator>
I wonder if the career of these DJ's is over, or if they'll be able to turn all of this publicity into a boon.

One thing's for sure, as stupid as that bit was, no reasonable person could have predicted it would end in someone committing suicide. The public outcry against them has been pretty ridiculous. They already have to live with someone's death on their conscience, which they seem extremely contrite about. I just hope everything works out for them.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
The media is completely railroading these DJ's for a good story. Their making it seem like they verbally cooked the nurse alive and made her kill herself--their playing off the whole bullying craze. But that call was completely and utterly tame. I guess the exchange nurse got some flak from the floor nurse for not vetting the call before putting it through, but enough to kill yourself? If there was enough bullying to kill herself, it came from the hospital staff, not the DJ's.

What a pile of bullshit. Those DJ's got fucked.