Pregnancy Thread

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Unless you are going to be taking your baby hiking in the mountains, you'll never need one of those bunting suit things. They are bulky, hot, and make it difficult to fit them into carseats. Most people won't have their kids that young outside in the winter except for to and from a car. Here in VA, we just use blankets. We even bought one of those things that fit over carseats, but never use it. I do realize that Chicago in winter is literal hell on Earth so it is a bit different, but I wouldn't spend the money on something like that, you'll just end up regretting it and unable to unload it on craigslist a year from now.
Those car seat sleeping bags are a must-have imo. Used ours for both our kids - you just throw them into their car seat in their jammies. Keep one blanket handy in case it's mighty cold (we live in SW Ontario, Canada).

rrr_img_6669.png

Another thing we bought for our second kid was a DOUBLEWIDE diaper bag. First kid we had one of those regular sized ones, and that was okay. But we bought a bigass diaper bag for our new little one and it's waaaay more handy. It basically becomes your outside-the-house baby survival bag...filled with bottles, food, soothers, diapers, wipes, backup sleepers, bibs .... .. .. .. .. .
rrr_img_6670.jpg

Edit: ... .. .. . blankets, washcloths, baby crackers, bowls, spoons ... .. .

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, that is the thing we have. We used it for our 2 year old but haven't so far with the new baby, but it only now got really cold here.

With diaper bags, meh, my wife and I are not really organized people I guess so we didn't fully utilize the diaper bags. More recently I insist on using it because we paid for the damn thing and I am making an effort to be more organized, but previously we just used one of those little freebie/cheap reusable shopping bags that they have everywhere these days. For me, it is one of those things that everyone says "Oh you HAVE to have one" but you really don't, if you want to save money.

My wife has been going through our baby stuff and putting it up on craigslist to sell, so maybe I am more sensitive to clutter right now. We have like 3-4 diaper bags, over 500 pieces of clothing (that is just so far) from newborn to 6 months, toys and swings and shit everywhere, it is a mess.

So....for those of you old school zul'jiner's.....went to Moqui's last nite for new years eve like we do every year. No one in the group knew we were pg.

We walked in and he had spent all day making italian beef sandwiches....the smell made me feel ill the second we walked in but I was like ok suck it up power through. Until we got to the kitchen 2 second later to drop off the stuff we brought wherein Moqui proceeded to lift the lid off the pot, exposing more smell and the sight of it....I gagged, tried to get a hold of myself, failed, and ran for the bathroom and threw up.

Husband just looked at everyone and was like "So. We're pregnant." (Apparently - obviously I was puking elsewhere).

End of the first trimester this weekend. Cannot wait for the morning sickness to leave permanently. Was out with the CEO of one of the small businesses I work with for drinks and oysters....told him I was pregnant. This was helpful later on when I had to excuse myself to puke my guts out in the restaurant bathroom. Husband and him are new BFF's though so at least I could just get up for like 10 mins and he was occupied. But I'm just really fucking tired of the aversions and 50% chance that no matter what I eat I'll be seeing it in an hour or so.

Told work a week ago - that went just fine/no surprises. Had NT scan last fri as well - the ultrasound part went well so thats why I decided to tell work. Blood work component results came in wed....lowest chance possible/best score possible on chance of trisomies 18 or 13 (think Bella Santorum) (1:10,000) and another great score on trisomy 21 (downs syndrome) (1:9,000). So they've officially declared me at such a low risk that insurance likely wouldn't even cover further testing even if I wanted it and the labs doing the new Materni21 tests won't even take samples if I wanted to.

On a different note - anyone have experience with the Britax B-Agile travel system? That's what we're looking at/the one I really liked. Love how easy it folds down and its SO light! Would welcome any feedback.

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Only thing I can come up with. Thank fucking god I'm not a woman. Toughest thing we have to deal with during a pregnancy, is not being strangled for leaving the toilet seat up, or for being blamed for the crisis in the mid east.

Barbarian_sl

shitlord
We aren't finding out the sex on ours. Figuring it is one of life's few genuinely unique surprises and we like it each and every time.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Same here, we are going to find out in about a month(right at end of first trimester now). Mainly for planning/budgeting purposes. My wife's brother has a 3 and 7 year old boy, and they have TONS of hand-me-down clothes and toys and such for boys, but nada for girls, so we want to budget ahead of time how much money we are probably going to be spending for this whole ordeal.

It's not a very romantic idea or reason, but fuck it, I want to be responsible and prepared and not spending money that I don't need to.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My brother in law and his wife have 3 girls and have almost an entire dresser full of unused girls clothes with the tags still on them... it would definitely be a boon to us if we were having a girl (which, for what it's worth, is my preference)

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
My brother in law and his wife have 3 girls and have almost an entire dresser full of unused girls clothes with the tags still on them... it would definitely be a boon to us if we were having a girl (which, for what it's worth, is my preference)
Why? Got a lot of drinking to do left in your life?

Those of you with pregnant wives (esp first timers)....

Call your insurance and check to see what your breast pump benefit is. Starting in 2013 Obamacare required insurance providers to provide some sort of benefit. It can range from the company covering the cost of a rental to a 50 dollar reimbursement to a partial payment on certain pumps.

Our insurance fully covered no deductible the cost of an electric breast pump (double). In my case I have to go through one of their approved durable medical equipment (DME) suppliers but that's now 350 dollars that I don't have to spend.

The issue is that because of this change a lot of the DME's are actually experiencing shortages. I found this out when I started doing research so I ordered mine to get out ahead of the crunch.

Chopxsticks_sl

shitlord
I just had my 2nd little one 2 months ago as of yesterday ( well my wife did!) Little man is night and day different than his sister.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Those of you with pregnant wives (esp first timers)....

Call your insurance and check to see what your breast pump benefit is. Starting in 2013 Obamacare required insurance providers to provide some sort of benefit. It can range from the company covering the cost of a rental to a 50 dollar reimbursement to a partial payment on certain pumps.

Our insurance fully covered no deductible the cost of an electric breast pump (double). In my case I have to go through one of their approved durable medical equipment (DME) suppliers but that's now 350 dollars that I don't have to spend.

The issue is that because of this change a lot of the DME's are actually experiencing shortages. I found this out when I started doing research so I ordered mine to get out ahead of the crunch.
Actually ranges to completely covering them too. Zoey was having problems latching on, so the nurses at the hospital took care of all the back end insurance shit and got us one covered, and she was born in August of '11.