Prey - scifi/horror game by Arkane

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Gamespot just wrecked it with a 6/10 - albeit, the PS4 version.

spronk

FPS noob
Its a great game but only on PC, the console versions have significant problems. Not as bad as "this is unplayable", but just that 3-6 months of optimization and polish they didn't do thats the difference between Uncharted 4 or Horizon Zero Dawn and Mafia 3 or Prey. Mafia 3 is probably a great comparison actually, it also was not very good on consoles (better on PC) and had some core game ideas that were quite good but would also be very divisive depending on what kind of game you like, and it lacked that polish (no fast travel especially) that turned a 8/10 into a 6/10.

The story in Prey is imo fantastic albeit very twisty and hidden up, sort of like Destiny its hidden behind emails, audio logs, secret areas, etc. Some people are gonna love that, others are gonna hate it.

We won't know for a few weeks how sales are but I'm pretty sure they are going to be abysmally bad. Its kind of a sad day for big budget single player games, Square Enix is going to sell off IO Interactive, makers of Hitman because it doesn't make them any money. Hitman was one of the best games of 2016 too imo. Dishonored 2, Prey, ME:A, Hitman and other big budget SP story games are having trouble making a profit, of course stuff like Persona 5, Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4, etc are all massive successes but it used to be a mediocre game had a pretty good shot at a profit, now it feels like either you have to have a service component (destiny, Division, Rainbow Six, Ghost recon Wildlands) or have a lot of buzz and luck.

the next assassins' creed is gonna be an interesting case.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
of course stuff like Persona 5, Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4, etc are all massive successes

Correction: Mass market run of the mill IP milks with shoddy design, bad world building, and poor mission structure/diversity/poor voice acting, etc - are having trouble. As they should have. The ones listed above is what every publisher developer should be looking to strive to do if they want to make their game successful. Not half assing it like a majority of them have been doing for years under a low cost to develop/asset share cycle that should have been destroyed a while ago.

Hopefully bigger publishers take note that if they want to start having success financially, they should start coming out with original games and hiring true talent.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'll Gamefly it once there's a Pro patch. Seeing how much better the PC version is would normally get them a sale from me, but they chose to go with Denuvo so that's a big NOPE.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
You can tell these guys loved System Shock with how they basically made this game an homage to it. I'm only about 10 hours in so far and have to keep putting it aside due to RL shit, but I'm definitely feeling the old SS vibes and the further I get into it the more I'm enjoying it. Like spronk said, though, don't bother if you can't handle searching for hidden or alternate paths, and story that's mostly told through audio logs, emails, or the environment itself. You're basically coming though things in the aftermath of a shitstorm, much like SS, so the game doesn't force feed you story like most games. It's a bummer this game won't be a huge seller, these are my favorite types of games and I'd like to see more of them.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I'm guessing this still isn't / won't be cracked because of the big D.

Glad there are positive reviews though, hopefully it'll see a sale soon.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
IGN just updated their 4/10 review to an 8/10 now that a patch fixed some problem the reviewer was having.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
IGN just updated their 4/10 review to an 8/10 now that a patch fixed some problem the reviewer was having.

That is so idiotic. Reviews would be changed constantly if others kept doing this.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
What's really shitty about it is Metacritic does not update scores so their aggregate score is forever dragged down by IGN being petulant.

Vorph

Which is why people need to stop using that piece of shit site and move over to OpenCritic. Among other things, it also allows you to ignore all reviews from sites which don't deserve to even have their existence acknowledged (Polygon, for example).

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Vaclav

Which is why people need to stop using that piece of shit site and move over to OpenCritic. Among other things, it also allows you to ignore all reviews from sites which don't deserve to even have their existence acknowledged (Polygon, for example).

OpenCritic is Metacritic but you can flag sites you oppose? If so, that sounds amazing.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Opencritic also seems to embrace far more of the smaller web sites. Meta only has 23 professional reviews while Open lists 78. That makes it far harder for a single IGN to tank your score. On the flip side it's less popular for the user reviews.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
That is so idiotic. Reviews would be changed constantly if others kept doing this.

Fucking bullShit they did this. I don't care what the game is like that is wrong.

They fucking did this with Alien Isolation and I know several people who saw that 5/10 and missed out on an amazing game. They then gave it something way higher after their damage was done.

Fuck IGN

ign.com - 500 Server Error

Read the comments they are great

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm guessing this still isn't / won't be cracked because of the big D.

Glad there are positive reviews though, hopefully it'll see a sale soon.

I've found a possible crack for it tonight, am about to try it once it finishes. Will let you know if it works.