Prey - scifi/horror game by Arkane

drmandolin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So replaying the main game now to re-fire those dusty neurons. Interesting that I missed completely the pre-order locker in Morgan's office the first AND second time through - not a spoiler at this point, right? - that grossly inflates your character's abilities upon access. What a joke! It makes you almost invulnerable so early on in the game. What were they thinking? I swear it was empty before, both times. Anyway, went back to an older save to bypass.

Game is better, though WAY easier than I remember it being. Though i lack most of many of your Jedi skills in this department.

Also, the NG+ options which I are new to me now, are awesome. They should be a part of the main game regardless.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Never did like this game. I just couldn’t get into it.

• 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The base game was fun enough. I played it on "hard" and it was still pretty easy. Cheap/buggy deaths were not uncommon though.

I bought the Mooncrash DLC and I don't like it. The gameplay does not fit as a roguelike. You start off with like 4 lv. 1 characters that all have to be leveled up... such a pain in the ass.

drmandolin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Getting closer to revisiting Mooncrash. Speed running thru the main game and getting the hang of it again. Forgot how fun it is outside the station.

drmandolin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Also, the NG+ options are great. Degrading weapons and concussion/bleeding are really increasing the difficulty. Earlier today, before i found a medic, i couldn't run. Couldn't jump without taking a big health hit. Gun broken. What was once stupid easy in parts, is now challenging for me.

Tauntworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
drmandolin drmandolin Just a heads up on Mooncrash. The DLC is "infinitely replayable" as long as you dont finish all of the KASMA orders. Just remember this post when you get to it, if possible. You'll understand KASMA orders once there. There was a pretty large amount of backlash because a lot of the early DLC players finished everything and wanted to keep leveling up our 'classes' and when we finished that last KASMA order, you are basically forced to start a new save. Was my only gripe with the DLC. Otherwise I put more hours into the DLC than the main game.

• 1Worf

drmandolin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
drmandolin drmandolin Just a heads up on Mooncrash. The DLC is "infinitely replayable" as long as you dont finish all of the KASMA orders. Just remember this post when you get to it, if possible. You'll understand KASMA orders once there. There was a pretty large amount of backlash because a lot of the early DLC players finished everything and wanted to keep leveling up our 'classes' and when we finished that last KASMA order, you are basically forced to start a new save. Was my only gripe with the DLC. Otherwise I put more hours into the DLC than the main game.

Thank you. Hopefully be ready to go again in about a week at this rate on the playthrough. Having said that, I refill my oxy prescription Tuesday, so I might spend countless hours floating outside the station in absolute wonderment.

Better write KASMA on a post it and stick it on the screen.

Appreciate the tip.
drm

• 1Like

drmandolin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
OK, finished last playthrough on Nightmare via NG+. Was great fun! Ended up getting all abilities.

Started Mooncrash this morning. Made it all the way through to the initial objective on my first dude. Pretty stoked. Just went through it methodically.

Now on second character. Hmm. .... holy fucking MOONSHARK!

Goonsquad Officer
i'm close to done with mooncrash, i ended up liking it pretty good, though it neuters the grinding up and crafting shit part of the game, also the "slowly unlock parts of one big enviroment" part. but it's interesting either way.

drmandolin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, I'm really digging it. There are some pretty neat aspects at play that are not common in most games, which I like.

One thing I'm really getting annoyed/confused on though is trying to figure out the load-out for your next character after a death. I'm still very early on into it having just made it into the Crew Annex for the first time.

I got gang raped by etheral mimics and killed. So I'm loading-out my next character but scrimped on weapons because the last few times I was killed I respawned at or near the beginning and so could easily pick up what I needed along the way back to where I died. But this time, my new character spawned very close to where I was killed. So I'm deep into enemy territory with basically a wrench.

How do you know (when you are switching to a new character after a death), where you are going to be re-starting from? I'm assuming there's a logical pattern but I've not figured it out yet. Seems like I'm either wasting resources purchasing things that I'll find for free soon after, or saving resources but then being dropped off in the shit in just my undies.

Goonsquad Officer
i'm not certain to be honest. i usually spawn in the same spot in the crater air pump hose area, but some times I didn't. not sure why. One thing i did a lot of is, when i get spare weapons i clearly do not need, or supplies. when i cross the crater i drop them in a box there in case i die and need another manz to salvage the run.

drmandolin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Interesting, thanks. I've never intentionally left things like that behind as i didnt notice (yet anyways) a direct link between respawning characters. Seems too random, but I'm probably just not experienced enough yet.
Having said that, my new char just respawned right back where I died in the crew annex, and so there I was basically unarmed at level four corruption, with nothing but a wrench.

But when I searched a body near to where I was killed, ALL of my booty was there. Dead guy had like 20 items on him. Never seen that before here or in Prey. It was crazy. So I guess that's another clue as to how to choose load-outs after a respawn. Went from griping about respawing naked, to being thankful I didn't load up with anything as it would have been a complete waste, lol.

I'm not sure why this is making me so mental. It's like I'm misunderstanding some basic aspect of the game and it's confusing the shit out of me.

Goonsquad Officer
I always start with a shotgun and some ammo and the scannerdoo every time. even if i planned ahead because the corruption stages respawn areas you may have cleared.

one important note is that when you escape with some one (which always multiplies your score in a good way) you loose all the gear they were carrying. you can if you plan carefully, sort of leave it all then escape. I didn't end up doing it often...and it's possible that escapee gear is redeemed in points. Once or twice though i purposely spawned as the repair girl, fixed a lot of shit i knew i'd need, then had her escape, then had the next person come in, use the now functioning equipment to get my gear back, then complete another objective.

drmandolin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Thank you for the help, guys. Very useful info. I had an absolutely mega run last night, late. Stayed alive for an incredible amount of time after discovering those time extender things.

It was epic. Used every power, every bullet, broke every weapon from over use, used every med kit and scrap of food. Fuckers finally got me as I'm smashing the shit out of a Typhon scanner that's enabled a forcefield, blocking me from entering the crater escape pod. I thought maybe if you broke it, the forcefield might drop. But one of the robotic mining drones was being controlled by a technopath and at Level 5 Corruption I couldn't put a dent in it.

Thing just kept scorching me. I never did find out if smashing the Typhon Scanner would have worked as while I was wailing it with the wrench, trying to survive being blasted by the mining drone, I ran out of time. So close. Anyway, it was one of those 5-star gaming sessions reminiscent of a heinously satisfying T-Rex battle with Aloy.

• 1Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Thank you for the help, guys. Very useful info. I had an absolutely mega run last night, late. Stayed alive for an incredible amount of time after discovering those time extender things.

It was epic. Used every power, every bullet, broke every weapon from over use, used every med kit and scrap of food. Fuckers finally got me as I'm smashing the shit out of a Typhon scanner that's enabled a forcefield, blocking me from entering the crater escape pod. I thought maybe if you broke it, the forcefield might drop. But one of the robotic mining drones was being controlled by a technopath and at Level 5 Corruption I couldn't put a dent in it.

Thing just kept scorching me. I never did find out if smashing the Typhon Scanner would have worked as while I was wailing it with the wrench, trying to survive being blasted by the mining drone, I ran out of time. So close. Anyway, it was one of those 5-star gaming sessions reminiscent of a heinously satisfying T-Rex battle with Aloy.

Can you still get the preorder weapons at the beginning even if you haven’t bought the game yet? Lol

drmandolin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Can you still get the preorder weapons at the beginning even if you haven’t bought the game yet? Lol

download-1.jpg

drmandolin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I just meant sometimes they sell the code etc in game menu for like $5. I don’t own the game but next sale I think I’ll pick it up.

Ahh, gotcha. Not sure which platform you'd go with, but I believe it's on sale right now on PSN. It shows up on mine as a sale item, but the price just says 'Purchased' so no idea how much of a deal it is.

drmandolin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
One of the love/hate things I have with Mooncrash right now is how it is constantly evolving. Seems like each milestone you reach will activate another layer of game play. I just unlocked my third character, and now there are even more variables added to the environment. I really like how there is so much going on and how you have to use the different skill sets of the characters to help progress your slowly increasing 'team' a whole.

Where it bites me though is I have a really slow play style. I like to walk around and investigate every closet and try to explore as much as I can. That's not really an option in Mooncrash. There are quiet periods, but it's generally pretty frenetic. Whereas Prey was much more of a slower exploration experience - at least for me.

Goonsquad Officer
yea I don't care for the timed aspect or the "crafting sucks" aspect. if there was a dimensional hole to throw crafting materials into, and if corruption was based on accomplishing things, i think we'd see a much more "prey" version of the game.

but on the other hand some itmes the trying to boogie lead to some fun gameplay so i'm guess them trying it is okay.