Project 1999 - Making Norrath Great Again

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Really enjoyed that last qwerty post

Tons of derelict bums there which explains being able to spend 50$ and get items entire raids spent weeks fighting over

Rogue was fine in classic, no one farmed that glowing pike in MM I guess

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
epics won't be an exception on agnarr, rogues will pretty much spawn with them on day one

heck theyre pretty much like that on P99 even

I made my rogue twink this way - in fact I want to say he went from level 1 to 6 or 16 from turning it in.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So, seriously, what is the over or under on a TAKP/p2002 C+D at this point? I mean those servers are in direct competition with Agnarr are they not? Their goal is to clone a current Daybreak offering except make it even better than the Daybreak offering.

The former director of EverQuest, whatever his name was, said he didn't have a beef with P99 because it was like a museum of old EverQuest and was not competition, and that he was glad it existed and he thought it was very cool. (he is fired now, it was that ponytail guy I think)

Agnarr/TAKP/P2002 don't seem to fit the mold on what Daybreak's above stated stance under the previous Ponytail regime. As a player, I'd be a little concerned.

The launch of P99 Discord apparently being blocked and kept very hush initially raised my eyebrows, and now with Agnarr coming....

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
So, seriously, what is the over or under on a TAKP/p2002 C+D at this point? I mean those servers are in direct competition with Agnarr are they not? Their goal is to clone a current Daybreak offering except make it even better than the Daybreak offering.

The former director of EverQuest, whatever his name was, said he didn't have a beef with P99 because it was like a museum of old EverQuest and was not competition, and that he was glad it existed and he thought it was very cool. (he is fired now, it was that ponytail guy I think)

Agnarr/TAKP/P2002 don't seem to fit the mold on what Daybreak's above stated stance under the previous Ponytail regime. As a player, I'd be a little concerned.

The launch of P99 Discord apparently being blocked and kept very hush initially raised my eyebrows, and now with Agnarr coming....

If you think TAKP and P2002 are a "clone" of Agnarr, you have about as much a clue as our good friend Elidroth.

Agnarr is modern EQ, sandboxed into LoY/LDoN. It's a fun playground to steamroll old content.

TAKP and P2002, like P99, are trying to recreate the old content.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
TAKP and P2002, like P99, are trying to recreate the old content.

That is my point. Its trying to beat Daybreak at its current offering essentially. Whether it has microtransactions or not is irrelevant. Your argument is offering microtransactions/LDON/LOY as a positive enhancement to the game.

I don't believe any would-be Agnarr players necessarily care or view those things as "must have". If anything, its the relatively unknown "legitimacy" of TAKP that would be the deciding factor for players choosing a PoP locked server. P99 has a track record and people know the management, its an incorporated non-profit. TAKP may as well be a basement project by comparison. Be that as it may, TAKP is still attempting to produce a better version of Agnarr.

I'll take 500 for C+D if Agnarr somehow manages to flop. But we all know its going to do numbers, so there is not much need to worry. But I'd say TAKP is well into the danger zone at this point. I'd wager if TAKP made a huge advertising push (which won't happen, its always been a quiet project) they would get C+D'd fairly fast.

If Discord 99 got blocked, any further moves are fair game.

Last edited:

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
That is my point. Its trying to beat Daybreak at its current offering essentially. Whether it has microtransactions or not is irrelevant. Your argument is offering microtransactions/LDON/LOY as a positive enhancement to the game.

I don't believe any would-be Agnarr players necessarily care or view those things as "must have". If anything, its the relatively unknown "legitimacy" of TAKP that would be the deciding factor for players choosing a PoP locked server. P99 has a track record and people know the management, its an incorporated non-profit. TAKP may as well be a basement project by comparison. Be that as it may, TAKP is still attempting to produce a better version of Agnarr.

I'll take 500 for C+D if Agnarr somehow manages to flop. But we all know its going to do numbers, so there is not much need to worry. But I'd say TAKP is well into the danger zone at this point. I'd wager if TAKP made a huge advertising push (which won't happen, its always been a quiet project) they would get C+D'd fairly fast.

If Discord 99 got blocked, any further moves are fair game.

Daybreak's current offering isn't recreating old content.

Daybreak is producing a server that is modern EQ with expansions turned off.

It's not about microtransactions or LDoN or LoY.

Go get a beer with Elidroth and you two can talk about how you know why people would want to play old EQ.

• 1Solidarity

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Are we still shitting on Elidroth for that one thread? Wasn't he just farming quotes to show his bosses?

Deeone

Molten Core Raider

TAKP is a project focusing on recreating the EQmac server that was shut down. So I'm not sure how this is a current Daybreak offering, they literally shut that offering down. P2002 you may have a point but to be fair all of these projects were created well before daybreak announced Agnarr.

You seem to be bothered by these servers but at the same time don't really know much about them so I'm struggling to see what the issue is.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
TAKP is a project focusing on recreating the EQmac server that was shut down. So I'm not sure how this is a current Daybreak offering, they literally shut that offering down. P2002 you may have a point but to be fair all of these projects were created well before daybreak announced Agnarr.

You seem to be bothered by these servers but at the same time don't really know much about them so I'm struggling to see what the issue is.

??? I don't have any problem. I'm just investigating how safe these Agnarr alternatives are to invest time into.

Your argument seems to presume that Daybreak cannot, or consciously chose not to, recreate Al'Kabor. I don't exactly buy into that. I think if it were possible with a limited time investment, they would have done it.

What is so great about modern EQ stuck in PoP/LoY that they would consciously choose to offer the updated product over the original offering? The easy faceroll raids that anyone can do due to damage and mitigation formula changes over the last decade?

Does Daybreak consider that a "feature"? Maybe.

And if so, then these servers have nothing to worry about.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Agnarr will have POP released before TAKP so there isn't really any competition to speak of. That, plus modernization/QOL features, plus extra stuff from LDoN and LoY only serve to separate them even further.

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
What is so great about modern EQ stuck in PoP/LoY that they would consciously choose to offer the updated product over the original offering? The easy faceroll raids that anyone can do due to damage and mitigation formula changes over the last decade?

Laziness, lack of resources, and lack of financial viability/support.

They "don't have" the old code, they "can't" implement a million things.

Al'Kabor was shut down because they couldn't implement anti-cheat mechanisms or even a paywall.

Implementing a "new" server gets a lot of hype, they get subs, and a ton of Krono get bought and sold when all the neckbeards come out to play a game and discover their credit card gets them better gear at 40 years-old than their 25 year-old self had wet dreams about, all the while the "elites" pay for round the clock exp pots. At the end of the day, the server doesn't take any dev time since the only trouble is checking the right boxes for features like expansions and out of combat exp.

Agnarr makes them tons of money and keeps the company "relevant" in so far as it gets them publicity because we all know how wonderful their 2017 "expansion" will be with 3 new zones and 60,000 new AA's to grind. DBG is milking EQ - they aren't about to generate negative press in shutting down EQEmu because it's not worth what little financial interest they have left as a company.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Spell refresh from clicky still only works on the top memmed spell gem. Killing immersion to this day. Can also see across commonlands as a human at night, muh immersion :(. Add these to both servers and item loot to red. Bolts um are another story, Yeahlight had these working perfectly on EQ Classic. Praise Lord Cazic Thule.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
No more not classic mouse wheel aids. Need the old char select screen and zones the good or evil chars showed up in while they spun too.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I have never played on an EQ Emu before. I am playing on Agnarr right now. I want to invent a way to punch people in the face over the internet.

Every time I group with a moron they eventually say something in chat along the lines of "well on P99 it wasn't like this".

Does P99 breed morons?

• 1Worf