Project 1999 - Making Norrath Great Again

Siliconemelons

It was secrets but, well...

And Rogean is on and off on giving a shit

If it's nilbog, fix fucking life taps and reverse your damn pally halfling nerf that elithia must have jacked you off for because she didn't like me, I am literally the ONLY ONE affected by that entire thing.

Or just change him to a Tulare high elf so I can have a nature defended for teh sexknight fashion quest.

Behemoth

Trakanon Raider
Logged on the old mage. In fear and bound in fear and no one else in zone. Back to the vault of never logging on I guess.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Siliconemelons

S Secrets or well anyone.

I want to set up a eqemu server that is decently playable - want to invite all my IRL ol EQ buds to play a-la-1999-lan party style.

Does not have to be super "classic" just, workable, decent pathing and properish mob mechanics.

Is the PEQ database sufficiant?

How big of server is needed? Anyone does one via AWS - I know this costs some money and a fee for public IP.

Looks like they have a package installer that is all in one for Windows- does that include a log in server and what user accounts does it use?

Any other open source version other than PEQ I should look at?

It would be around 20 people - so it does not need to be supa-dupa

Siliconemelons

Thanks, yes up to POP, most likely only Luclin was my plan. Awesome thanks - I know TAKP did a lot of work, so I am glad that its been put into PEQ as a default.

I know I wont get classic CT/Inny out of the box but, I think for "teh nostaligias" of classic era, doing a vox and naggy crawl will be good enough then a trakanon, maybe VS and off to velious - no need fuxing in VP when there is TOV! lol

I am going to go out on a limb on the compute and say, a modest server should be fine as what they ran 2k users on in 2000s era "IF" and thats a big "IF" it was top of the line is blown up by the most basic of things now.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
There are large differences between PEQ and TAKP. Stock EQEmu lacks many mechanics that TAKP implemented, or simply implemented later era mechanics or coded up their own version of certain mechanics based on my research that may not be as precise. TAKP also has the older verions of cerain zones. The forks have diverged so much that it's not a simple matter of importing data from one to the other via SQL and requires a considerable amount of hand-editing. For example, scripts and spawngroups reference NPCs by ID, and TAKP's IDs are all different because our NPCs were created from packet sniffed collections of data. We have many new database fields and changed how some of the old fields work. I also go back and improve data in older zones at times, so even if they had copied data over, they may not have more recent data.

I'm not sure how much was imported over, but I'm fairly sure that there is a large gap between TAKP and PEQ's data still.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

PEQ I think will do stock for my little pet project- PEQ at base is usable right? Just not "classic" - that is fine.. While I think TKAP is great, I am not going to be like "gummy ur stuff" for a one-two time server for me and my old bros to relive the glory days.

Because I have no idea how many of us are going to make this reunion - I think the "easy mode" stuff that base PEQ has would be good lol vs harder classical stuff

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member

I want to set up a eqemu server that is decently playable - want to invite all my IRL ol EQ buds to play a-la-1999-lan party style.

Does not have to be super "classic" just, workable, decent pathing and properish mob mechanics.

How big of server is needed? Anyone does one via AWS - I know this costs some money and a fee for public IP.

Looks like they have a package installer that is all in one for Windows- does that include a log in server and what user accounts does it use?

Just run Akka's PEQ installer: EQEmu/Server

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Harvest

Lord Nagafen Raider
Hey guys, loooong time lurker. Just fired my account back up after 5 or 6 years and it looks like i gave all my gear away before quitting. Anyone got some random low/mid level ranger gear kicking about unwanted?

Dragonaut

Molten Core Raider

Did you ever find out anything? I've been looking for the same thing myself: a ready-to-play setup of something at least vaguely resembling P99. PEQ goes all the way up to OoW and has all sorts of modern shit in it that would ruin the experience, and I don't know of any other packages you can just download. I want to 6-box in peace and not deal with content being unavailable due to other players getting there first. I originally gave up on P99 because all camps worth bothering with were occupied just about 99% of the time. But as far as I can tell, there just isn't anything that's both open source and cuts off at an early expansion. Ideally I'd like Velious but can live with anything up to and including PoP.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Did you ever find out anything? I've been looking for the same thing myself: a ready-to-play setup of something at least vaguely resembling P99. PEQ goes all the way up to OoW and has all sorts of modern shit in it that would ruin the experience, and I don't know of any other packages you can just download. I want to 6-box in peace and not deal with content being unavailable due to other players getting there first. I originally gave up on P99 because all camps worth bothering with were occupied just about 99% of the time. But as far as I can tell, there just isn't anything that's both open source and cuts off at an early expansion. Ideally I'd like Velious but can live with anything up to and including PoP.

Wait until TAKP releases their code, db and scripts in about a year and a half if you want that. I'm sure someone will port their work over to ROF2 or a more modern client when they go open source. They have just PoP left to do and it's top-notch quality.

Siliconemelons

Yeah classic to POP is the real "EQ" exp to play through.

As mentioned - right now it's basically yeah it's PEQ and that's not bad... what I want is just for a dz or two of friends- so we self regulate out content - so it just needs to function and be good for a day or two lan party :)

Dragonaut

Molten Core Raider
I didn't even try to install the PEQ stuff because it says it's OoW. How bad is that in terms of classicness? Could one just ignore all the post-PoP content or is the earlier stuff also riddled with expansion crap that's gonna fuck with the authenticity? Like you could just not use mercenaries and whatnot, but if loot tables are full of weird shit and there's fabled mobs all over the place, that's gonna ruin it.