Project 1999 - Making Norrath Great Again

Bruman

Golden Squire
poll: Does the word"Frothy"initiate feelings of arousal in you?

YES

or

NO
Yes, but only when you say it
redface.png

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
This is exactly why we need a fresh blue server. That and people with multiple alts in full VP gear sitting at spawn points waiting to kill critters for the 50th time, for god knows what reason, although part of me wonders if I'm way off base and there really is mass RMT going on here.

Anyways, close to 59 on Ledd. Think I'm almost done until Velious.
Lol? You've gotta be retarded if you don't think RMT has existed since day mother fucking 1. Wanna know what will happen on a fresh blue server? The same exact mother fucking thing.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Yep, Day 1 on a reroll of p99 will be all about DE masks, manastones, Thex Daggers. People know that stockpiling monks with DE masks, or ogres/trolls with DE masks will be profitable in the future.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Yep, Day 1 on a reroll of p99 will be all about DE masks, manastones, Thex Daggers. People know that stockpiling monks with DE masks, or ogres/trolls with DE masks will be profitable in the future.
So roll out Velious on day 1 with stable code.

Anyways, I like P1999. I'm just realistic about my expectations, and right now it's a shit environment due to the silly length of time it's been out on just Kunark.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Agree with Lumie and Szeth. If you think RMT is bad now it is going to be even worse if they wipe and start over, even if they start with Velious being open.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
I'm not following the logic. Currently EVERYTHING endgame is locked down pretty much by one guild who has absolutely no need for any of the loot. If one wants anything from the endgame bosses, they are stuck RMTing for it. If they release Velious and add another server up to that, they'll split the PVE base with the vast majority going to the new server, add a ton of content, and also add less of a bottleneck for gear and spells. The reason it hasn't happened is most likely due to the server admins being involved in the RMT so they are invested in keeping the blue server supply and demand chain limited to maximize profits. I think until that well dries up, then I doubt we'll see Velious, and they certainly do not want another blue P99 even though 95% of their players play for PVE. Instead we get another low pop Red server. That sort of lends credence to my RMT -> Server Admin theory.

I don't see any scenario where supply and demand is worse by adding a second blue server, preferably at the same time as Velious is released.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Currently EVERYTHING endgame is locked down pretty much by one guild who has absolutely no need for any of the loot.
some endgame stuff is extremely rare. for example -- Green Dragon Scales that are required for the warrior epic... only Severilous drops them. Severilous only spawns once a week, and he doesn't drop the scale every time. i heard that he didn't drop it for a month straight once. this means we're talking only like 30-40 warrior epics entering the game PER YEAR. on an old server with a lot of level 50+ characters, 30-40 is not a lot... (compare it to a new shaman epic showing up almost every day =p)

Gecko_sl

shitlord
They haven't released Velious 4 years later despite a huge endgame logjam which is odd, but will add another Red despite very little interest. It isn't a stretch to think why.
FTFY, chief.

I could care less about another server. I tried to play on Red, but leveling once through EQ was fun for nostalgia's sake. Doing it again does not interest me much.

I think it'd be better for the community. I don't play to endgame raid and my Shaman has his epic so I'm mostly playing a different MMO now.

Of course it's a conspiracy theory. It's not like there is a ton of accountability from an EMU server that really caters to a handful which lends credence to my tinfoil hat argument.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The only interesting thing would be if they released Velious and opened up a new blue server at the same time. Then you have to wonder what people will do... Velious didn't increase level range so that isn't an issue, you just going straight into farm mode.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Server is pretty crowded, i bet they could support two servers at this point.

I am looking forward to the exp bonus next week, now I just need to figure out how to afford my spells lol, i forgot how brutal it is trying to get 50p together for every spell level when the mobs are dropping silver.

Stench

Golden Knight of the Realm
The sad thing is, Velious content will be put on farm status very quickly, because everyone is max level and geared to the teeth with kunark gear. I suspect (but not certain) AOW may live a while until people gear up with Velious armor, but who knows. But still, its better than any EQ live server (with the exception of AK, which is now dead).

axeman_sl

shitlord
And still, despite the wealth of raid content in Velious, one guild will claim every single bit of it and cockblock the other 95% of the server from the endgame for years to come. Business as usual. If P99 has one big failing, it's that they've done nothing to emulate the fact that Everquest had two dozen servers to choose from and to dilute the poopsocking nolifers a little.

nawcor

Lord Nagafen Raider
Dozen's of servers to choose from with far more than a max of 1k players to spread around on them. I dont think it would really be a bad idea, but it wouldnt really solve many problems except maybe the high end raiding, which would probably just result in 2 guilds running everything instead of one.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
And still, despite the wealth of raid content in Velious, one guild will claim every single bit of it and cockblock the other 95% of the server from the endgame for years to come. Business as usual. If P99 has one big failing, it's that they've done nothing to emulate the fact that Everquest had two dozen servers to choose from and to dilute the poopsocking nolifers a little.
You cant blame p99 handlers for that fact the "classic" eq community is is literally divided into only two camps;

Neck bearded basement dwelling downies who will do anything they can to make sure they have all the loot in a nearly 15 year old game

Casuals who just want to experience some nostalgia.

No matter what changes they make or how many servers are released, the neck beards will be there. You cant do anything when there are people out there who for whatever reason will spend 100+ hours a week locking down content.

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
Server is pretty crowded, i bet they could support two servers at this point.

I am looking forward to the exp bonus next week, now I just need to figure out how to afford my spells lol, i forgot how brutal it is trying to get 50p together for every spell level when the mobs are dropping silver.
Easily fixed with the purchase of some platinum!

Also, what Big Phoenix said~

Gecko_sl

shitlord
No matter what changes they make or how many servers are released, the neck beards will be there. You cant do anything when there are people out there who for whatever reason will spend 100+ hours a week locking down content.
Well, they could but then it wouldn't be the 'classic' experience. Ignoring the fact classic only lasted 6 months and not years.

There are a lot of guilds that could take down endgame bosses, but the server admins really have taken a poor stance in allowing the 'first engaged' policy instead of making guilds play nice. Also, the variance changes really are puzzling as they cater to the neckbeards and RMT crowd, really.

I agree it's better than live, and it's free, but that's not exactly setting the bar high.

Plat is easy to get, just sell bone chips as they go for 10p a stack.

axeman_sl

shitlord
They could do plenty of things that don't require launching multiple blue servers. The fact of the matter is that their refusal to simulate there being 20+ servers to choose from is creating an environment that's even less classic than if they did something semi-custom to prevent endgame congestion which for years has been so severe that it towers above all else as the server's #1 problem. It's the elephant in the room that the staff have always completely washed their hands of and won't even deign to acknowledge the concern itself, let alone address the problem in any way. It's what keeps the server merely good instead of amazing, it's what keeps the population at <1000 instead of 3000+, and it's by far the most commonly cited reason from people who quit playing.