Project 99 - Green Server announcement

Wantonsoup95

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have some lower end int gear I am tired of trying to sell if anyone is starting out, look me up on Green, Darktooth.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'll definitely hit you up, if I see you on.

Charm feels off on the P99 servers. I don't remember it being so powerful back in the day. I very well could be misremembering.

Daidraco

Charm feels off on the P99 servers. I don't remember it being so powerful back in the day. I very well could be misremembering.
It was there and quite often used. It's just if you werent best friends with a charm class, you probably didnt notice it at such a young age. I cant remember everything but I remember some of the gear I used in classic (for example) and in hindsight, I was a retard that had no idea what I was doing. :trump:

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider

What do you mean by "powerful?" Enchanters have generally been my main class since Live. It functions identically to the way it did on Live regarding effect. I have definitely found the duration on Green to be pretty much on par to what I remember from Live. Charisma has just as big an impact as it did on Live too.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

your_mum

Trakanon Raider
i don't think charm is off, it's individual NPC magic resists that will never be accurate on an emu. TAKP is probably more closer in line in that regards because Torven has done an incredible job parsing logs for individual npcs or has parsed live when needed.

Araxen

i don't think charm is off, it's individual NPC magic resists that will never be accurate on an emu. TAKP is probably more closer in line in that regards because Torven has done an incredible job parsing logs for individual npcs or has parsed live when needed.

That might be it. I don't remember it being so reliable, but that was 20+ years ago. I probably just be misremembering.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
What I remember from live is that hardly anyone charmed in dungeons. Those that did weren't holding down Sebilis camps etc. like you can see on p99.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
What I remember from live is that hardly anyone charmed in dungeons. Those that did weren't holding down Sebilis camps etc. like you can see on p99.

This is what I remember from the 99-2002 days. It's not so much that charm is different as people use it differently than they did in early EQ. It's crazy how much the tactics of EQ have evolved over the years. Even now I log on and find people using spells in totally different ways than they were used on live. Shows how malleable and ingenious the game really is.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE

Now this I will agree with. Root, stun and all that shit lands like ezmode. But its for the devs playing, they're average to low skill... so yeah.

The grobb guards and many others have absolutely fuck all for resist here. Done wasting my breath, they went out of their way to make things LESS classic here this go around lol.

3/3 rollups I have been left wondering what the fuck they're thinking, esp with the corruption crap.... why do that on a 20 year old elf sim we've all played 1-50 so many times.

• 1Like

Kayak

Trakanon Raider
Shortly after green release, I was in lguk and there was a high lvl ench down by my camp and I started chatting with him. He wanted me to duel kill him or something like that. Apparently he had farmed close to 10 Mith 2hs and 20+ Froglok crowns from soloing the king(lord?) down in lower guk. He would corpse his item then go back and take the camp again and continue farming. He did this all solo, with a charmed pet. I told him I didn't remember enchanters doing this on live at all. His response was that back on live he was still doing the same thing, but barely anyone else used the ench class like that. Today...it's the new norm. It's probably a combination of the game evolving and resists being different on emu, as stated above.

50 bucks says he played the ench class hard at green release just to twink out his real main (probably a melee).

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
SmartSelect_20210610-145010_Gallery.jpg

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
I can't even imagine what an sod would go for considering fungis are like 900$ and cofs are like 1200$ somehow.

• 1WTF

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
What frustrates me is the paradoxes that exist with trying to recapture a classic Everquest experience. I wanted to make a Sham, but looking at important Shaman gear and how expensive it is made me give that up really quick. And that's because there's a huge amount of Shamans, because people know how powerful they are.

Like I can't imagine playing a Shaman without Torpor, but it's like 80k. So it's a very real possibility.

Also, I refuse to believe people that say this is how Enchanter functioned in classic. No it didn't lol. I had an enchanter, I DID charm. I knew every spell. I was one of those nerds that made sure they had every single spell and that I understood every single one completely.

Charm broke way, way more often and way, way more randomly. People absolutely DID focus CHA on Enchanters. That's one of the silliest arguments I've seen about this, that they didn't equip cha. Umm, yea they did? I mean maybe all your servers were retarded, but I played on Veeshan, so people knew what CHA did. And some people absolutely did use charmed pets in groups with hasted charmed pets, and the exp was bonkers, and people did know about it.

That's not to say it wasn't possible in original classic. It was, you were just going to have more deaths from breaks that happen 15% into the charm where things spiral out of control. Because of this, and because of the heavy heavy penalty for dying and corpse runs etc, people charmed way less. But it was absolutely a thing and it was used, it was just that it was absolutely more risky.

Complete and total lie and revisionist history to say it was always like this and people just sucked. No, plenty of people did not suck, it still broke more often. I'm saying this as someone that has made tons and tons of krono in the past from playing a solo Enc on TLP and has rolled one on p99. Doesn't change the truth tho.

• 1Like

your_mum

Trakanon Raider
Charisma does not affect the charm "tick" check - only the initial cast of charm, like lull. It even says that on TLP when you hover your mouse over CHA.

Here is Torven talking about a change to eqemu in reference to TAKP -

Charm's chance to break has been increased significantly. The code that was in place to cap the magic resist reduction for charm ticks was not functioning. It has been fixed. The same error was causing roots to almost never break early, and has also been fixed.

Lull spells were not checking magic resist on critical resists, and now it will. The result is mobs with high MR will be more likely (or even guaranteed if the MR value is high enough) to aggro on resists. The base resist rate on lulls (the first check) was and will continue to be 7.5%, but currently that is reduced by level, so low blues and greens will almost never resist.

This is the first pass of changes I am making to the resist algorithm and will not be the last. Red cons are currently not resisting enough and in the near future they will. Charm and Root resist rates can also be adjusted with a server rule and won't need a recompile.

The rates at which Charm and Root will break after the patch were not set by me-- they were calculated by an eqemu dev that parsed many hours of logs and a cursory look at his numbers leads me to believe they are fairly close to accurate. However I am parsing my own numbers to verify.

Charm on Al'Kabor and Live averaged somewhere around 5 or 6 minutes, depending on a number of variables. Charm on TAKP was averaging north of 12 minutes. Depending on demand, I will make my charm data and analysis available. (it takes considerable time to prepare, not trying to hide it)

The first check ignores the target's MR value and instead uses a 15 MR value. This is verified by not only parses but the pasted pseudocode from a Sony developer. 15 MR translates into a 7.5% resist rate on a white con. See http://everquest.allakhazam.com/forum.h ... 9310546959

If that roll fails, it does a second resist roll, this time using the target's magic resist value but modifying that value based on the amount of charisma the caster has. The rate is -1 resist value per 10 charisma above 75; under 75 it makes it more likely to aggro at a rate of +1 MR per 6 charisma. This charisma modifier is also used for charm spell lands, but not ticks, which gain no benefit from charisma.

So, unless the p99 devs added a CHA check into their own code for charm duration (which they shouldn't have) it doesn't affect charm duration.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Charisma does not affect the charm "tick" check - only the initial cast of charm, like lull. It even says that on TLP when you hover your mouse over CHA.

Here is Torven talking about a change to eqemu in reference to TAKP -

So, unless the p99 devs added a CHA check into their own code for charm duration (which they shouldn't have) it doesn't affect charm duration.
Pretty sure it was confirmed at one point that p99 has its own custom charm/charisma code? If you browse the wayback machine, or if you were a GOOD enchanter or played with one back in the day, you'll see it consistently stated that there were massive, massive diminishing returns on Charisma past like, 140? Not so on p99, you want that shit at 255 above all else. There's a guy on youtube that does solo enchanter stuff and has solod stuff like Emperor Chottal. And he basically talks about how with 255 cha, if charm doesn't break right away, it's almost guaranteed to last the full duration. There were no guarantees like that in real classic, at least not that much.

In a lot of ways, Takp/Alkabor Project is more accurate to classic eq than p99. Altho I've heard that p99 has been copying a lot of the work that they've done over there (not copy, as the code was freely given?, but yeah.) I've been playing on p99 lately and also noticed you can channel at low levels like you had 100+ channelling and were level 50. Whereas if you played a casting class back in the day, you'll remember timing your casts in between attacks. On p99 it doesn't even feel like you need to bother because you channel so often.

Anyways, I've finally been dicking around on green, so if anyone wants to group at low levels, hit me up. I'm debating takp though because I love PoP so much and I loved EQMac so much, but the population is a bummer, since I've heard 2/3rds of people are boxes. I like the stability of p99. I feel like it's been around so long, that it's not going anywhere. I like knowing I'll likely always have an EQ home. Bouncing between Dru/Shm/Enc atm.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
No, charisma does not affect charm duration at all; it only modifies the target's MR value when it lands. Old Sony dev posts are incorrect. I just ran some extensive (24+ hour, ~3k lands each) parses on Live servers recently to verify. There was no difference between 75 CHA and 280 CHA. (tested on a 155 MR NPC)

Was it changed at some point? (at least after PoP?) Wayback says no:

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Blizzardwalker charm for AOW destroys the low energy enc/jelly players argument. It's so tired. We knew CHA was OP for enchanter pve, literally in 1999. P99 never ceases to amaze with the ability to turn ass hurt low energy group think into nerf missions or trying to resist classic changes like no other community. Maybe you don't ACTUALLY like classic EQ and need to fuck off.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Giving this server a roll, Made a Ranger named Ashtone

should be on a lot tonight and the rest of the weekend - then will use it as a work day escape

Last edited: