Project 99 - Green Server announcement

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Ikkan

Molten Core Raider
What happened to him? It just seems totally insane that he did thousands of hours of work on EQClassic expecting SoE to tell him he had permission to emulate. The other story I heard was he wanted to do custom content, another idea which would obviously fail.
Started his own software company with a couple of other people, sold it for a shitload of money, retired at 35. He's living the good life.

Last edited:

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
What happened to him? It just seems totally insane that he did thousands of hours of work on EQClassic expecting SoE to tell him he had permission to emulate. The other story I heard was he wanted to do custom content, another idea which would obviously fail.
Why would it obviously fail?

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Why would it obviously fail?
Because he advertised it as EQclassic for like 8 years and attracted people who wanted EQClassic. Then when he suddenly said he was going to do custom content it did fail. If he said he was going to do custom EQ content in the beginning he'd have attracted like whatever Shards of Dalaya got, but instead he had tons of people watching and everyone was disappointed and walked away when he changed course.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
Because he advertised it as EQclassic for like 8 years and attracted people who wanted EQClassic. Then when he suddenly said he was going to do custom content it did fail. If he said he was going to do custom EQ content in the beginning he'd have attracted like whatever Shards of Dalaya got, but instead he had tons of people watching and everyone was disappointed and walked away when he changed course.
Eh I feel there's a difference between full blown custom like shards and classic + a little custom content. If the custom content is good I don't see why it would matter except to douchey purists.

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
Every time I see this thread get bumped I get my hopes up that its an announcement for the next server

• 4Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Ikkan

Molten Core Raider
Custom content was an idea after SoE said no to a true to form classic server. It was really a last ditch effort sort of thing.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Custom content was an idea after SoE said no to a true to form classic server. It was really a last ditch effort sort of thing.
Why in the world did he think SoE would ever say yes? Why did he do years of work before asking? Why did the “no” stop him when hundreds of other emu servers have operated with relative impunity for a literal decade or more?

Ikkan

Molten Core Raider
Why in the world did he think SoE would ever say yes? Why did he do years of work before asking? Why did the “no” stop him when hundreds of other emu servers have operated with relative impunity for a literal decade or more?
I mean you gotta remember work on it started when he was 22-23. Most of us were more optimistic then, didn't see all the hurdles of something, etc.

As far as stopping after getting a "no", I'm not entirely sure. My memory is a little hazy about that part. I think there was a part of him that wanted EQC to be more "legitimate" than other typical emu servers, but I could be remembering things wrong there.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE

I was one of the people who didn't blast him with a flame thrower at the custom content stuff. I did say, well the people complaining are right. Shortly after he berged off the face of the earth as far as we were concerned and it's a fucking shame tbh.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Flattop

Trakanon Raider
Rolling a gnome cleric that worships Bertoxx. Is the Bertoxx Symbol garbage now with the Disease Cloud nerf?

Chapell

Trakanon Raider
I think i still have one warrior stuck on Red... And no option to move it somewhere else.
Too lazy to reroll on green.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I mean you gotta remember work on it started when he was 22-23. Most of us were more optimistic then, didn't see all the hurdles of something, etc.

As far as stopping after getting a "no", I'm not entirely sure. My memory is a little hazy about that part. I think there was a part of him that wanted EQC to be more "legitimate" than other typical emu servers, but I could be remembering things wrong there.
Gosh I was just trying to remember the name of that server the other day. Some of my best memories of playing emu were the push right after the launch of EQC. That server had the first iteration of Faceless that I was a member of. Can't remember the name of the guy that Zaide let use the name, but Zaide didn't play the server. What was his name Zaide? I know I should know it my memory is just shot these days post chemotherapy.

Or am I just thinking of a totally different server? Lol

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Gosh I was just trying to remember the name of that server the other day. Some of my best memories of playing emu were the push right after the launch of EQC. That server had the first iteration of Faceless that I was a member of. Can't remember the name of the guy that Zaide let use the name, but Zaide didn't play the server. What was his name Zaide? I know I should know it my memory is just shot these days post chemotherapy.

Or am I just thinking of a totally different server? Lol
EQC never launched. You may be thinking of the Sleeper EMU server and the guy Mafakka/Riddl/Famoorn led a Faceless guild there. It might not have even been that server, but I think that’s the version of the guild you’re thinking of.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
EQC never launched. You may be thinking of the Sleeper EMU server and the guy Mafakka/Riddl/Famoorn led a Faceless guild there. It might not have even been that server, but I think that’s the version of the guild you’re thinking of.
Yeahhh Sleeper that's it! With the batshit crazy GM hahaha it's coming back to me now. Thanks man. My memory sucks these days but with some reminders I can get the wheels turning haha.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I went back through the old Sleeper Emu thread for shits and giggles. It's in the Rickshaw Hall of Shame. Still worth a read starting at the point where his meltdown begins lol

One detail I forgot that really cracked me up -- he used to edit other people's posts on epicemu.com, changing them so that they said things praising him and the server. From what I recall he did it to not just posts that were critical of him, but also just randomly did it sometimes to other posts just, just peppering it in here and there. What a fucking loon lol I can't believe so many of us played there.

Jasker

Yellow Officer Title
Kind of wondering if I should roll on this server. I know there's a new green in the works this year or next but I'm in desperate need for a classic / vanilla EQ or WoW experience