Project Quarm - 1 Box Planes of Power

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
You guys could all start a single box guild on TAKP if you really wanted.

They'd probably happily give you a spot in the rotations once you got there.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
You guys could all start a single box guild on TAKP if you really wanted.

They'd probably happily give you a spot in the rotations once you got there.

Pretty sure I maxed out 3 chars on takp years ago.

Frankly I couldn't summon the motivation to play again on Quarm but my wife said she was interested in playing (surprisingly) so I decided to teach her EQ. That gave me the motivation to go through the process of setting everything up for both of us.

Then my buddy decided he wanted to join. Great! He is playing a cleric. Our strategy is to trio the nec/mage/cleric and use the pets as primary tanks, but this dumbfuck rule now has me annoyed as hell that I wasted the time setting everything up.

/rant off

Whatever. It's not my server so not my rules but I can't emphasize enough how awful and pointless the pet xp drain in a group rule is.

Last edited:

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

Frankly I couldn't summon the motivation to play again on Quarm but my wife said she was interested in playing (surprisingly) so I decided to teach her EQ. That gave me the motivation to go through the process of setting everything up for both of us.

Then my buddy decided he wanted to join. Great! He is playing a cleric. Our strategy is to trio the nec/mage/cleric and use the pets as primary tanks, but this dumbfuck rule now has me annoyed as hell that I wasted the time setting everything up.

/rant off

Whatever. It's not my server so not my rules but I can't emphasize enough how awful and pointless the pet xp drain in a group rule is.
A static play group on a server without a flood of characters at low levels is way more enjoyable than playing with 2000 scrubs, not going to lie. Better than a Dungeons and Dragons campaign, same sort of experience.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
A static play group on a server without a flood of characters at low levels is way more enjoyable than playing with 2000 scrubs, not going to lie. Better than a Dungeons and Dragons campaign, same sort of experience.

You aren't wrong. Talking with my people about just loading up Green. It seems Quarm has depopulated Green quite a bit. Chances are most of the people still on green aren't lowbies either.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Torrid

Molten Core Raider

Assuming the code is working as intended, the rule works like this: a SINGLE pet must outdamage EVERY OTHER ENTITY combined to take an exp share. If the mage and necro are tossing in a few nukes then this is unlikely to occur as the higher damage pet would need to out damage the lower damage pet plus the two casters combined to take a share of exp.

That is how EQ worked until mid-Luclin. If Project 1999 does not have this then they're inaccurate.

• 1Like

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Assuming the code is working as intended, the rule works like this: a SINGLE pet must outdamage EVERY OTHER ENTITY combined to take an exp share. If the mage and necro are tossing in a few nukes then this is unlikely to occur as the higher damage pet would need to out damage the lower damage pet plus the two casters combined to take a share of exp.

That is how EQ worked until mid-Luclin. If Project 1999 does not have this then they're inaccurate.

In p99 if you are grouped the pet takes zero xp as long as one person does at least 1 point of damage. This makes sense, as the last thing anyone wants to be worried about is trying to figure out if you are losing xp because someone's pet is doing too much damage.

Dunno about inaccuracies, but let's be honest, there is no server that is completely accurate, including Quarm and p99. Seems pretty clear to me that quarm isn't trying to be completely time period accurate (you can tell that immediately on log in), which is wise imo.

There are a number of QoL consessions that are clearly in on Quarm, such as removing the hybrid xp penalty. Everyone has their own opinion about what should or shouldn't be kept, but in my own humble opinion I can think of few more annoying, onerous, and pointless penalties than a pet xp penalty in a group. Just my opinion

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
When people say "QoL" I read it as "EZ mode". WTB a server without EZ mode.

Pets taking exp and class exp penalties were there for a reason: because those classes were OP. That's how games were designed back then, they 'balanced' classes with these kinds of penalties instead of making everybody equal. Removing these is modernizing the game which defeats the purpose of emulating the older eras. This isn't something trivial like auto-standing on spell casts. Now everybody complains about how many magicians and enchanters there are. Well no fucking figure, you removed a major downside that discouraged people from making them. Make another class if you don't like the penalty.

I was personally very happy to see Secrets put the pets taking a share in. Too bad class penalties aren't in and so warriors are a complete joke that shouldn't exist. They're utter garbage. All normalizing the exp per level did was make the worst classes even worse while the stronger classes get to level faster than they should. Hybrid tanks are so much better than warriors that even with the penalties they would level faster simply by having a higher kill rate in groups. Players just hate seeing the word 'penalty' when it could be described as, hybrids are the baseline exp rate and everybody else got bonuses, but their class bonuses were taken away at the same time the server now grants a global exp bonus to everyone.

• 4Like
  • 1Faggotry
Reactions: 4 users

Flattop

Trakanon Raider
Warrior gewd. Full crafted Ogre wit axe of da slayers zerking an rampaging. Big choppas an da biggest teef.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I swear people confuse tediousness with difficulty.

• 4Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 4 users

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
When people say "QoL" I read it as "EZ mode". WTB a server without EZ mode.

Pets taking exp and class exp penalties were there for a reason: because those classes were OP.

Lol rangers are OP? SK's and pally's are solid but I wouldn't say they're OP. Enchanters are the most OP class in the game by a massive margin and they only had small penalties so wtf are you even talking about?

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Int casters had a 10% xp penalty. Also Enc loses a lot of shine if charm pets take a full players worth of XP in groups. Still OP but less so overall.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
Give everybody a 10x exp bonus then. It's quality of life!!!

And yes rangers are considerably stronger than classic warriors. My groups have a ranger tank and he's got more AC than the paladin right now and aggros better than anybody. Our wizard can quickly delete the first mob in a large pull. Rangers being top tier tanks will change near the level cap but by then you're already leveled so the penalty won't matter anymore. Not to mention the sows, harmony and tracking making them great pullers.

Melee classes are underpowered relative to casters in classic era, but I would argue that this is partly due to the modern client and apps available today making them easier to play. Charming is just way easier to do nowadays than it was in 1999. Also we're missing a lot of little classic timeline things that would make casters worse: Quarm's resist logic is PoP era and more forgiving; magicians did not have their top pets in at launch; pets always summon at max level; magician pets used to use more expensive reagents etc.

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

BigDirty

Security Director of Crisis and Weather Management
<Bronze Donator>

/rant off

as long as neither pet takes the full 50% your fine , so send pets and do one dot/nuke
and your fine

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Fuck, if anyone is considering starting out, dont, I think 1 percent of the people on this server are normal humans, the rest are fucking retards

literally the worst player base i have ever seen

Ive run my course here.

• 1Like

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Fuck, if anyone is considering starting out, dont, I think 1 percent of the people on this server are normal humans, the rest are fucking retards

Ive run my course here.

Sorry to hear man.

Can I have your stuff?

• 1Solidarity

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider

Ive run my course here.
Tell us more details for the ones who don’t have time for it

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Tell us more details for the ones who don’t have time for it

I think the literal thing that got me the most fired up us the weeks worth of people pulling through other camps.

Like literally, run through your group, grab three mobs, and train your group thinking they wont social aggro the group and wipe us. I wont even bring up the fact that they are just grabbing our camp. But thinkng a 6 mob train through us makes sense.

Its mostly shit bards who are pulling 10 at a time despite the limits.

It started as them pulling entire outdoor zones.

Now we have brainiacs trying to 10 kite indoors

and for every 10 retards there is about 1.5 spergs who will quit groups, boot people from groups, or try to black list people in their guild if someone isnt 100 percent min maxing every moment.

I saw in Guild chat a guy try to blacklist someone in my group because they were a chanter using a charm pet that wasnt the literal best option. Wont say what guild but I left it cause I didnt click with the peeps

• 1Worf

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
All things said, I had my own retard rage quit moment as well, so I shouldnt shit on Secrets baby.