Prometheus (Alien 0) - 1 Year Later

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Got a chance to watch this again recently. It really is disheartening how bad this film was. I really wanted to like. I mean that, even watching it again, my inner dialogue was focused around my expectations maybe being set to high, etc. But no, after watching it again, the dialogue was just bad and the characters were terribly developed. I have no problem suspending belief for a film, but there were far too many instances where I just thought the decisions being made or the way things played out were just plain dumb and juvenile/adolescent in execution.

Very, very unfortunate, as I feel this COULD have been something special.

dak

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Watched this again not too long ago, I don't understand how the final script could be given the go-ahead.

In all seriousness, if Ridley Scott took this thread and the fohguild thread and mined it for advice,Prometheuscould have been much more cohesive. We're nothing special...can they seriously not find some autistic nerds to review the script and final movie and go "Dear sirs, this shit doesn't make sense" and actually respect their feedback? Are directors/writers rigid to their vision to the point of not taking criticism and overlooking glaring stupidity, or is it more of a matter of a long tradition of producers going "Well, this is what we filmed/wrote so far...it's not cohesive...but it will cost a lot more to redo....so fuck'em run with it".

I understand a lot of people work on a movie at the same time and a lot of creative vision is lost through that, but with these budgets and qualifications you'd figure people would be professional enough to reign it in.

Michael Green is also doing Ridley Scott's new Blade Runner project...I just don't understand how such a mediocre writer could land such amazing projects. Am I being naive to assume that someone on this forum could realistically hammer out a much better script that it more faithful to the source material than anything former writer for Sex and the City can do?

spronk

FPS noob
i suspect movie making nowadays has very little to do with good and more to do with hitting target markets of females aged 14-31 and certain key elements that bring in international audiences.

anyways i saw an interesting post the other day that makesprometheusbetter, even if its never said in the movie: the engineers technology fucks with human brains, so they become more irrational and disconnected as time passes. voila, that explains the retarded scientists and all the other shitty things in the movie, and why david keeps calm and carries on.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Well, it would explain a lot, but not everything. Like sliced-belly running and leaping like a fucking gazelle right after surgery.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Interstellar travel, alien worlds, genetic mutation goo, androids, etc = a-ok. Increased resilience and healing after a medical procedure = WTF IS THIS SHIT?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Well I didn't get the behind the scenes manual that went into the specifics of how the magic medical pod from the future works, I didn't realize it just threw some staples in her and rolled the fuck out. But thanks for clarifying.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Well I didn't get the behind the scenes manual that went into the specifics of how the magic medical pod from the future works, I didn't realize it just threw some staples in her and rolled the fuck out. But thanks for clarifying.
staples

super staples

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Like I said, you're willing to suspend disbelief for life support, artificial gravity, artificial intelligence, alien god-kings, the idea of an automated medical pod, sure whatever. But the idea that the magic technology we can't even fathom could have somehow quickly healed her is beyond the pale?

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
to keep the timeline going

Predator
Executive Decision
Predator 2
AVP
AVP:Requiem
Predators
Blade Runner
Event Horizon
Soldier
Prometheus
Alien
Aliens
Alien 3
Alien:Ressurection

wink.png
Just now saw this and couldn't stop cackling at the inclusion of Executive Decision. I don't know why but that just really got to me.

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Like I said, you're willing to suspend disbelief for life support, artificial gravity, artificial intelligence, alien god-kings, the idea of an automated medical pod, sure whatever. But the idea that the magic technology we can't even fathom could have somehow quickly healed her is beyond the pale?
It wasn't the suspension of belief I had a problem with. Im a sci-fi fan. I can handle stretching belief for certain things. For me, it was the absolutely laughable character choices, amazing rush to judgments, and some of the most ridiculous things characters would say. The visuals and sets were wonderful. The premise was interesting. The execution.....terrible. Trust me, I really, REALLY wanted to like this movie. Even when I began watching it the second time, I tried hard to reset my expectations. But there is no denying what was ultimately a very bad, lazy script. This was mailed in.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i suspect movie making nowadays has very little to do with good and more to do with hitting target markets of females aged 14-31 and certain key elements that bring in international audiences.
You suspect? I'm sure.just look at the remake of robocop *puke*
Now is to advertise and sell, even if it's some blant, generic bullshit product (hunger games, i'm watching you....)

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
The problem is consistency. Artificial Gravity worked the same way throughout the movie--it was a constant, it functioned within it's universe well because nothing ever changed that required us to question it. Depending on the scene, this lady acts like her insides are being ripped out from the surgery or she's jumping up like an Olympic Athlete that just used cocaine. Either she is hurt by the surgery or she isn't. She can't dramatically double over in pain when talking and then leap over something like a Gazelle without even grunting in pain.

(Not sure if it will start in the right spot but 1:47 explains it.)

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
The problem is consistency. Artificial Gravity worked the same way throughout the movie--it was a constant, it functioned within it's universe well because nothing ever changed that required us to question it. Depending on the scene, this lady acts like her insides are being ripped out from the surgery or she's jumping up like an Olympic Athlete that just used cocaine. Either she is hurt by the surgery or she isn't. She can't dramatically double over in pain when talking and then leap over something like a Gazelle without even grunting in pain.

(Not sure if it will start in the right spot but 1:47 explains it.)

But what that video REALLY shows, was how lazy the whole film was. Its not a matter of some nerds saying 'this shit isn't realistic'. The film can't even be honest with itself, let alone its audience.

In a word: LAZY.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Whatever I can believe staples in the future can be coated with cytokines and other molecules that signal healing in the body and take a few minutes or so to diffuse throughout most of the wound. I can't believe a person whole run straight and not to the side when trying to avoid a rolling object. That scene was literally out of a comedy.

Caliane

anyways i saw an interesting post the other day that makesprometheusbetter, even if its never said in the movie: the engineers technology fucks with human brains, so they become more irrational and disconnected as time passes. voila, that explains the retarded scientists and all the other shitty things in the movie, and why david keeps calm and carries on.
And coming into contact with the Engineers cave paintings made them retarded right from the beginning too! OMG that solves everything.

oh look cave paintings! omg I believe in Jesus now! And not only that!, but he was an ancient Alien! Fuck logic! fuck Science! I believe in Alien gods based on FAITH!