Pruning the Politics thread for massive improvements, An experiment. (long read)

Implement the final solution by a skeleton

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
As someone that only occasionally dips into the politics thread partially because it moves so fast, I say don't change it.

It is obviously very popular, has plenty of unique posters, and likely even more unique readers. There are other, more specific, threads that revolve around political topics (GG, Atheism) which give people wanting to discuss something in more detail and with more maturity a place to do so.

I think there is room for one thread that is a sort of fast moving and more free-form. That isn't to say it couldn't use a little more content pruning to increase the overall quality a little, but why drastically change something many people seem to enjoy?

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
Sometimes I fall behind in the thread. I do this crazy thing called skipping to the last few pages.

• 7Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
For better or for worse, few people are better at making the masses jump through hoops than a_skeleton_02.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Sometimes I fall behind in the thread. I do this crazy thing called skipping to the last few pages.

This is what I usually do. It just so happens we booked our vacation on the week that had the most political news since the election, so I had to read 20+ pages every day to keep up.

This thread is pointless to me. Keep politics the same. Do not ban the only 4 counter points of view just because some can't learn when to walk away. I personally like all of them for differing reasons, despite disagreeing with nearly every one of their points of view. And when the banter just becomes the same responses back and forth between them and one or two posters on "my side," I just scroll past anything posted by them until the bludgeoned horse carcass is finally put to rest. It's totally worth that to me because taking out the only voices of dissent and tweets would make it boring as fuck. And I would rather have disagreeing parties post and engage versus someone like the Edge who drops in with clips from late night comedy but doesn't stick around to counter argue.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
Nope, leave the thread as is. I read it much more often than I post in it but what is the point of a political thread when the only difference in the content is where you land on the "classical liberal" scale. Dissenting opinions are needed for healthy discourse, even if they are mind blowingly wrong 99% of the time.

This isn't /pol.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Also note, the loud minority are a sounding board for other lesser leftist fags too scared to step into the ring.

If anyone wants to try, hop into the immigration thread and give it a go, recently acidfly was espousing how great his illegal friends are.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
The members in question plus any currently thread banned members should not have their vote counted Araysar Araysar please consider that when tallying the vote.

If the ban outright fails I suggest a forced avatar option that informs the user that these people are known agitants and that interacting with them may resault in actions against your account.

If someone wants to go on a multipage diatribe with someone with the marked flair then they would deserve a suspension.

It would be a good compromise and I know the forum has the technology to do so.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
The members in question plus any currently thread banned members should not have their vote counted Araysar Araysar please consider that when tallying the vote.

If the ban outright fails I suggest a forced avatar option that informs the user that these people are known agitants and that interacting with them may resault in actions against your account.

If someone wants to go on a multipage diatribe with someone with the marked flair then they would deserve a suspension.

No

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
The only people that are left are those who have a thicker skin to being called a potatoe on every post.

the election made the left radicalize and then when they lost depressed people like brando left in shame because they couldn't bear the loss. It drove olescratch mad for example.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>

I will take a hiatus from the Political thread for 6 months if you get your weight down to 180 pounds. You have 6 months to do this. We can follow your progress with pictures.

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Except @Zapatta posts Twitter posts with zero context. it is a more egregious sin than posting news articles with click bait titles and nothing else

zero content? it's usually directly related to the news of the day, either a lawyer or researcher finding something / explaining something contra to news

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I'm sure that Taxi running over people in russia was Political thread worthy.

• 1Worf

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Wow, I'm fucking rolling here.

you were massively humilated out of the thread after gloating and losing terribly, never forget. you will always be biased for how badly you were burned.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
zero content? it's usually directly related to the news of the day, either a lawyer or researcher finding something / explaining something contra to news
Most of them a larping/click bait/have zero context provided along with the post. I don't care if dickholesucker69 is a lawyer or resesrcher who posts random crap on Twitter. At least fucking add your own thoughts on what thethey posted

• 1Solidarity

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Use ignore would be a useful solution if it ignored those posts and anyone quoting those people and if people are tagged. Until it has that function it doesn't remedy the problem because you still have a ton of pointless response bloat, but that are out of context, so I've found ignore actually makes the thread slower and worse to navigate overall.

Yes, others have been run out of the thread for being stupid idiots, which partially highlights the problem. The current crop of potardos don't get shamed into leaving by bad arguments because they're not there for discussion, but attention. The worse their argument, the more they post it over and over, the more attention they get, the more they're encouraged to keep posting dumb shit that isn't in good faith.

My solution would be limit people to 4 posts a 24 hour period. That way we can all decide how to use our posts, whether it's 4 novels by Lithose linking the Lewinsky hypocrisy, 4 random tweets, or 4 responses to potatards.

That way no censorship, just limiting the noise and make people think twice about the dumb shit they're about to post.

Archeron Archeron @a_skeleton_03 This is something the old boards did that the current iteration has been sorely missing. If it's a matter of cost, let me know. I would be willing to consider upgrading to super donor if I never had to look at potato droppings (our other group of idiots who can't stop replying to the potatoes) ever again.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Most of them a larping/click bait/have zero context provided along with the post. I don't care if dickholesucker69 is a lawyer or resesrcher who posts random crap on Twitter. At least fucking add your own thoughts on what thethey posted

that's why I started adding an orientating sentence to most of those posts now

if it's just an article I try to find the most interesting/relevant paragraph and quote it.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Status
Not open for further replies.